Dumbass approach chart question.

Holocene

My understanding is that the holding pattern must be flown at a minimum altitude of 2300'. The minimum altitude for crossing the FAF is 2000'. However, the FAF is also the holding fix for the pattern.

What would you do if flying this approach while using the pattern to reverse course? Stay at 2300', ignore crossing the FAF at 2000', and just begin a decent to 860' after crossing?

Is the 2000' designation used only if intercepting the FAF with no intentions of flying the holding pattern?

Also, interesting choice for naming that intersection. Ha!

001-4.jpg

In practice though, most of us would stay at 2300 inbound and intercept the GS for the sake of simplicity. Though you may descend inbound, you don't have to. And unless your looking to transition to a visual as far out as you can remaining at 2300 to grab the GS is a little safer as well.

Fly the hold at 2300, when cleared for the the approach and inbound, descend to 2000 to cross the FAF.

Okay thanks. I was confusing the inbound leg of the pattern with the actual approach course. I guess you're no longer technically on an "inbound leg" if you'll be leaving the pattern after crossing the fix.

In practice though, most of us would stay at 2300 inbound and intercept the GS for the sake of simplicity. Though you may descend inbound, you don't have to. And unless your looking to transition to a visual as far out as you can remaining at 2300 to grab the GS is a little safer as well.

Okay thanks. This is only an LOC approach, but I get what you're saying.

Back