Duck the FAA

deadstick

I legitimately thought pax 121 would be stopped back in April.

”Yeet” is not a public health plan.

I did, too. In that original CISA doc (they’re on V4.0 now and even list general “flight instruction” as essential) I seem to recall the verbiage was that aviation was essential when in support of operations to address the present emergency. Flying McDuck to ASE for the week doesn’t cut it AND risks spreading the virus to smaller, more vulnerable (with less medical capacity) communities.

Hauling medical staff to NYC. Yes.
Moving igloos of vaccine. Definitely.
Taking a Covid + family of 3 back to HI, when they shouldn’t have left in the first place. Nope.

deadstick

And then another 3 weeks before the second shot.
I believe Fauci said it takes another 7-10 days after the second round. Also, that’s for the very first people to get the vaccine. There are a few hundred million folks here in the US after that.

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
My family decided to hold off on our usual big family get together for Thanksgiving this year. And personally I’m glad. It was the smart thing to do. Many in the family are 70+ with other health issues. Why put everyone at risk just to shoot the breeze for a few hours and eat some turkey?

As it were I’ve spoken to a few friends who held their Thanksgiving gatherings like normal and many are sick. Imagine that.

Burrito

Catch-a-Riiiiiiide!!
There’s already enough morons saying they won’t get vaccinated that herd immunity isn’t possible.
The ones not getting the vaccination are the ones hacking and coughing and coming to work for us, wondering all the while why no one's talking with them. No one to sit down and catch up with. 22 cases over the last week at my station, according to latest emails. Seems I'll be enjoying my stay here in Jersey a little bit longer.

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays
There’s already enough morons saying they won’t get vaccinated that herd immunity isn’t possible.
Spread is slowed considerably when:
a) most of the morons will have antibodies because they're going out and catching it
b) a 95% effective vaccine that 60% of the population receives makes a pretty good dent in slowing the spread and takes the r0 down considerably, allowing
c) contact tracing to actually do something, and hospital ICUs to not be full of covid patients in the hallway
I think most people will eventually give in and get the vaccine when it's a requirement to participate in something they want(fly international, go to a concert, etc), they just don't want to be first and I can understand that. When they see millions of people getting it with no issues and having fun, they'll want to play in the sandbox too.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I think most people will eventually give in and get the vaccine when it's a requirement to participate in something they want(fly international, go to a concert, etc), they just don't want to be first and I can understand that. When they see millions of people getting it with no issues and having fun, they'll want to play in the sandbox too.
I’m all for requiring people to prove they had a vaccine before allowed into public places such as restaurants, shopping, airports sports events and yes, a church.

Autothrust Blue

Commander Air Group, BSG-75
Nah, there’s going to be enough people exposed that, assuming no delay in distribution, herd immunity will be possible with immunizing about 60% of the population, which is a damned gloomy way to look at it and should be achieved near June or July ‘21, but here we are.

poser765

I’m all for requiring people to prove they had a vaccine before allowed into public places such as restaurants, shopping, airports sports events and yes, a church.
Are you out of your mind? Do you know how many people legitimately believe the vaccine is the mark of the beast? If you put going to church behind a paywall like this vaccine and we WILL see an increase in domestic terrorism.

Flyinthrew

I'm going to preface this with the statement that I think the typical anti-Covid vaccine person is overall much different from the Wakefield/McCarthy wackadoos.

People who make absolute blanket statements about a new technology at one time in their lives are usually just going through some sort of acceptance matrix. I can remember successful, smart business people in the early 90s say they would never have a cell phone because it didn't seem healthy to have that thing next to your brain. You think they held to that? No way. Same thing for people in their 50s/60s 20 years ago saying they would never have a computer. Many eventually achieved acceptance because they realized the benefits outweighed whatever objection they had.

I'm not going to hate on people who decide not to vaccinate right away. Doing so is pissing in the wind, and will certainly just be another galvanizing force in the us v. us dystopia we find ourselves mucking through at the moment. The best the rest of us can do is model the norm with very little fuss, and eventually enough people in each resistor's circle of influence will cause them to achieve acceptance of the new norm- No dynamite intervention required. I would also guess it will happen relatively quickly for most people, especially after the current forces that be are no longer so easily able to pour poison in the ears of the citizenry with the conferred legitimacy of being a public office holder.

The preponderance of the current anti vaccine crowd are simply setting themselves up to get in the back of the line. It is going to make the lines at the distribution sites so much easier to manage.

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
Herd immunity is possible with or without a vaccine.

resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.”

Autothrust Blue

Commander Air Group, BSG-75
Herd immunity is possible with or without a vaccine.

resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.”
Liked for accuracy, not possibility of doing it that way. Doing it without a vaccine is a miserable public health strategy.