Duck the FAA

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
4 positives in my facility since Thanksgiving Day. 2 in my area. They are swing shift, I’m day shift. The FAA says since my only contact is the 5 min they’re standing over my shoulder breathing on me while I give the relief briefing theres no close contact and I’m not exposed. Trying to get a test scheduled now.

Baronman

4 positives in my facility since Thanksgiving Day. 2 in my area. They are swing shift, I’m day shift. The FAA says since my only contact is the 5 min they’re standing over my shoulder breathing on me while I give the relief briefing theres no close contact and I’m not exposed. Trying to get a test scheduled now.
Are masks being worn?

zmiller4

Crap man, that’s awful.

If you can find a place with an antigen test, I’d go for it—super fast and cheap, not as reliable as PCR (which I’d also get) but you won’t be sitting for days waiting for results. It’s nicer to have an 80% answer immediately than a 100% answer in an uncertain number of days.

Edit: this is also a really terrible time to have a federal leadership vacuum.

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
34042653-85DD-4AA4-9289-915CCEEE0444.jpeg

Karma.

FloridaLarry

Serious questions (that I probably should know the answer to):

How long after contact does it take to get Covid? How long to register on a test? Is the answer different for the different types of tests?

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I am really sorry to see you guys go through this sh*t show.
oh man you’d love the new om’s. One of them is a former Kennedy sector washout who after that spent her whole career at a small tower before becoming our OM. She had us put EWR in a hold for an hour on a weather day so that 2 19 departures could get off TEB. The day @DPApilot flew in above actually lol

the other OM came down to be mad at me because TEB was showing delays and he demsnded to know why so I showed him the giant presidential tfr over MMU and AF1 on short final. He was like “oh”. This place is boned. Covid is the least of the problems.

deadstick

oh man you’d love the new om’s. One of them is a former Kennedy sector washout who after that spent her whole career at a small tower before becoming our OM. She had us put EWR in a hold for an hour on a weather day so that 2 19 departures could get off TEB. The day @DPApilot flew in above actually lol

the other OM came down to be mad at me because TEB was showing delays and he demsnded to know why so I showed him the giant presidential tfr over MMU and AF1 on short final. He was like “oh”. This place is boned. Covid is the least of the problems.
I love flying in the Midwest. Just keep flyin’ over, folks!!

gotWXdagain

Polished Member
If it makes you feel better, the CDC disagrees with the FAA’s assessment. This is 100% an exposure event.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
If it makes you feel better, the CDC disagrees with the FAA’s assessment. This is 100% an exposure event.
CDC says close contact is “Close contact is defined by CDC as someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic clients, 2 days prior to positive specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.”

They don’t have the additional exposure definitions that the WHO has which includes any contact with someone who tests positive.

Autothrust Blue

Commander Air Group, BSG-75
How long after contact does it take to get Covid? How long to register on a test? Is the answer different for the different types of tests?
That's a little bit of all over the place, but it's possible to not have enough of a viral load for 5-7 days to be detectable. See, for instance, here: Your COVID-19 testing questions — answered - "...even highly sensitive PCR tests can come back negative if you’re tested right after exposure, before the virus has built up to detectable levels, according to a study co-authored by Lauren Kucirka, MD, PhD, an epidemiologist and OB-GYN resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital."

Edit to add, this is the thing that keeps me up. Well, it would, if I were to have trouble sleeping on this issue.

Last edited: