Duantless errors?

Hubbs

I am currently preparing for my FIA written exam using the Dauntless software, which, for the most part, I have been happy with in the past. Anyway, I came across the following question:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Which of the following is correct regarding wind information? [/SIZE][/FONT]

With these answers:

• Winds aloft direction is true while METAR winds are magnetic
  • Winds aloft velocity is reported in miles per hour while METAR winds are in knots.
  • Both winds aloft and METARs report the wind in true directions
I went with the first answer as wind reported in AWOS/ASOS/ATIS is magnetic, and it is these reports that drive METARS. However, the software selected the last answer and gave the following explanation:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Winds aloft direction and METAR winds are refereced to TRUE North.[/SIZE][/FONT]

(Which isn't particularly helpful, as it just restates the answer.)

Can you please tell me why I am wrong, or maybe that the software is incorrect.

Thanks.

upup89

I would go with answer A too.

I've always been told that If it is being reported by a human then it is in true north. If it is being reported by a machine then it is in magnetic north.

Then again I could be wrong.

TheresaPilot

The software is wrong. METARS are in magnetic because runways are magnetic. There's always a glitch in every software system.

Berkut

I quit using Dauntless software because of the number of errors I found. I know it's cheaper than other software, but in my opinion you're better off spending a little more for quality. There's no sense in spending hours learning incorrect information, especially if you might pass it on to your students later on.

matt152

The correct answer is the third answer. Winds Aloft and METARs are both TRUE and KNOTS. Easy way to remember: textual is true, ATIS or other automated stations are magnetic.

Source if you still hate dauntless and me: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/oso1/oso12/document/guide.shtml

"Wind: 3 digit true-north direction,
nearest 10 degrees "
Yes, metars and winds aloft are true.

You must apply variation to the METAR winds to get magnetic. The tower or ATIS will "do the math" for you and appy the variation.

SFCC/UND

I've always remember it by, if you read it, then it's true. If someone tells you then, it's magnetic.

caliginousface

Frank N. Beans
I've always remember it by, if you read it, then it's true. If someone tells you then, it's magnetic.
You should be careful with that, since winds aloft from a briefer are going to be true also.

Maybe you can think of it as automated voice is magnetic?