Dual citizen in the Air Force?

Filip

Hi guys!

first post for me, so here goes.

First off my name is Filip and i am currently in College. I have been thinking about joining AFROTC to compete for a flying spot in the U.S Air Force. Furthermore, today i met with a recruiter who said i couldnt become an officer in the AF because i hold two passports, i was very shocked by this:(. This means i cant fly for the AF because you need to be an officer to do that right? So my question is if this is really true, and why in the world would they not allow people with dual citizenship to become an officer?
Is this the same for all branches?

Thanks in advance!

If they don't like it.... screw them. They lose out on a potentially good airman. Their problem. Sorry to hear that though.

Hi guys!

first post for me, so here goes.

First off my name is Filip and i am currently in College. I have been thinking about joining AFROTC to compete for a flying spot in the U.S Air Force. Furthermore, today i met with a recruiter who said i couldnt become an officer in the AF because i hold two passports, i was very shocked by this:(. This means i cant fly for the AF because you need to be an officer to do that right? So my question is if this is really true, and why in the world would they not allow people with dual citizenship to become an officer?
Is this the same for all branches?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it sounds like it definitely could be. A buddy of mine about 5 years ago had to renounce his dual citizenship (basically, he ceased being a dual US and UK citizen, and became U.S. only). His issue had to do with being granted a security clearance. He had a Secret or a Top Secret at the time, and he went to no clearance for a couple of months.

Of course we teased him by leaving English Mustard or Salad Cream at his desk!

Exactly what Fish said.

It's not that you can't become an officer...it's that you have to pick only the US citizenship in order to become one.

This is true. Despite the armed forces having a special program to recruit non-citizens for enlisted ranks.

Thank's for your responses. I am going to live in the US probably for the rest of my life and I am quite determined to become a pilot. However giving up one of my citizenships is not on my list. Giving up a citizenship is a very big decision for me and I would think for most people.

Everyone is correct, you can only be a citizen of one country (USA) to get a security clearance. When I went to the Air Force Academy I had to give up my Swedish citizenship to get the Secret security clearance. Once I got out, I promptly reapplied for citizenship with the Swedish consulate and I got it back!

wow you're Swedish too, never thought i would get a reply from a swede on here. I was born in Trelleborg btw:)

Is it ok if i pm you Skåning, and perhaps if you have time you can give me some info on that whole process? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Back