Dress Policy

milrtym

How strict is ATP on the dress policy while flight training? I know you shouldn't show up looking like trash, you are representing ATP while there. I'm talking like wearing nice new blue jeans and a polo shirt and a pull over. Whats everyones opinion? I'll be starting my training next week.
Thanks for any info

Not very strict. I usually kept it to a polo and jeans during the cooler months and shorts and a polo during the summer.

There are guys there that only comb their hair when they have a checkride so you should be fine. This was at the Phoenix location so YMMV.

Thanks for the info, I was reading about it in the box o books and it said slacks and a polo shirt. I was like man we need a little bit of relaxation right?

The PHX location just started issuing ATP polos to be worn at KIWA and on cross country. I think this policy will be spreading to other ATP locations soon.

If you're actually going to dish out 60K+ for their "express program," they won't kick you out for showing up in a t-shirt.

I did my MEI over in LAS in 2005 and I wore whatever I felt like wearing. Including sandals. If they ever told me to wear a Polo I'd have said OK and taken my money elsewhere.

Some wore the ATP polo but that was their choice. I think they were express program people.

BTW, there cheaper and better ways to get your ratings. Guaranteed much cheaper.

I agree with you P&H about being cheaper, but can they do it all in 90 days? Myself, thats what i'm looking for. At my FBO there is a shortage of flight instructors an NO multi airplanes. I'm tired of always something better around the corner for the CFII. He is always flying Charter on a King Air 300 and leaves me in the air after I have him scheduled on schedule book. I just broke into my savings account and paid ATP and in 90 days i'm done.

I went to ATL. I wore jeans every day except for when I had a checkride. In fact, I wore jeans on the PMEL checkride.

But I think all the locations have a different enforcement policy. I would suggest setting the bar low to begin with. If the manager has a problem with it, he will let you know.

at PFN I pretty much wore whatever I wanted....even on the final few check rides, I didn't even get all dressed up, the benefits of having the same laid back examiner (until he got in the plane)

I wouldnt worry about their dress policy. You are putting too much effort on what to wear. just wear whatever you feel like wearing that day. dress as if you are going to school, because thats basically what it is. Just dont wear sandals when you fly, and you'll be fine.

Good luck at ATP.

I wore my pajamas in one day and nobody said anything. But usually I wore khakis and a button down shirt or jeans and a t-shirt.

I only dressed up for the commercial and CFI checkrides. Dress to impress I suppose. I wore a tie to all the CFI checkrides. If you check out the instructor's handbook, all the instructors have ties!

:yeahthat:
Take pride. Don't dress like a slob. You never know who you might cross paths with and might need to ask for a recomendation some day. As a pilot every day you're at an airport you should look and act like you're at a job interview. 'Cause before the day is over you might be!

in richmond, i wore jeans, shorts, t-shirts, occasionally a collared shirt, but only because i brought them thinking i would need them, and i didn't want to just leave em in the closet the whole time. i started off wearing khakis and a button down on checkrides, but with one of the examiners, by time I was doing my CFI addons, I was wearing plaid shorts and a t-shirt to the checkrides. i'm not big on sandals, but a few of my buddies wore 'em there. based on cross country students coming through, it seemed most other locations are just as laid back. but you knew that already based on all the previous posts. just felt like adding to the pile.

If your going to do this as a profession you might as well dress like it. We were expected to wear collared shirts and closed toed shoes.

I'm aware of the collared shirts, I just needed to know if I had to wear slacks and dress shoes. By the looks of it on here, I'm going to wear jeans and a polo shirt and nice shoes just like I did in college. Thanks everyone for the info!

Get rid of any facial hair for your jet ride if that still exists. You get to try the oxygen mask on and any facial hair besides a mustache keeps it from sealing correctly.

Back