DPE sit in on annual company Sim for ATP?

AKcharger

I like many new F.O.'s need to knock out the ATP. I have SIM next month and heard some people were going to have a DPE sit in on their ride. Anyone ever do this? makes sense, but is there any unexpected consequences...besides failing of course.

Thanks

I like many new F.O.'s need to knock out the ATP. I have SIM next month and heard some people were going to have a DPE sit in on their ride. Anyone ever do this? makes sense, but is there any unexpected consequences...besides failing of course.

Thanks

More pressure on your sim instructor than pressure on you.

Do your job, fly the aircraft, it's just another yahoo in the box.

Nothing to worry about.

I had our FED POI sit in my sim a couple years ago. I was freaking out, but they just spent the whole time talking away in the back and paying little attention to us. I felt like my ride got harder after he left. I wouldn't sweat it. They know you are under stress and unless he/she is a total D bag, it will be a non event.

I wouldn't say there would be additional consequences, but there will definitely be strict adherence to the PTS; not saying that they're wouldn't be anyway.

My Dash had a Fed on board, the ATR just company. I would say the one without the Fed was more difficult because he could pay more attention to us flying then the fed continuously asking the instructor questions.

I think it's stress you just put on yourself. I did a check ride with my examiner getting a check ride and I was really stressed out, but for no reason. The check ride wasn't any different then others I had been on.

I'll add this, if its a new sim instructor, tce etc, then he will likely be stressed out to be "observed" and may micro manage.

That being said, it's usually hard to see much of anything useful from the observers seat in the sim, so generally the Feds just watch the examiner. If he is ok with your ride, usually the fed is, and therefore the ride are normally - normal.

A couple years ago, I had the pleasure of doing a type ride with a new DPE, while he was being observed by another DPE, and the POI. It was awesome.....or not! Nothing like having 6 eyes watching you instead of the standard 2. :eek:

Look at this way: Either the person in the hot seat meets the standards or doesn't. Having one more set of impartial eyes shouldn't matter. And there is less likelihood of any BS crap to happen.

A couple years ago, I had the pleasure of doing a type ride with a new DPE, while he was being observed by another DPE, and the POI. It was awesome.....or not! Nothing like having 6 eyes watching you instead of the standard 2. :eek:

Sounds like my type ride. Looots of people in that sim.

So how are those sim O2 masks and goggles to fly with?

Thanks guys. In the end I just went with out company check airman, I didn't feel it was fair to make the other guys be under any additional stress. I guess it's time to go to "ATP" some where and fly a Seminole

Thanks guys. In the end I just went with out company check airman, I didn't feel it was fair to make the other guys be under any additional stress. I guess it's time to go to "ATP" some where and fly a Seminole

Seriously? You could have done your (required no less) ATP for free, and you decided to go spend however many thousands of dollars ATP will cornhole you for because you didn't think it was fair to the other guy? Tell me this is some kind of twisted joke.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

I had our FED POI sit in my sim a couple years ago. I was freaking out, but they just spent the whole time talking away in the back and paying little attention to us. I felt like my ride got harder after he left. I wouldn't sweat it. They know you are under stress and unless he/she is a total D bag, it will be a non event.
Fairly common on 121 rides. Just roll with it and do your job. Doug is right, its more pressure on the instructor than you.

Insert not sure if serious picture here.....wow

I really hope you got your ATP out of the ride.

On my last Part 91k recurrent in the PC12, I had a new check airman administering my ride, a new FAA inspector observing him, and our POI observing the FAA inspector.

Back