Dorky pilot series...

Nark

Macho Superpilot
I'm not sure if this has already started somewhere else but I'd like to add to it:

I am an admitted dork when it comes to aviation. I know I'm a dork therefore I'm not a dweeb. While stationed overseas and not being able to jump into a plane I got flight sim with a joystick that also acts as a yaw control by twisting it. Fancy stuff...

I was getting checked out in a Super Cub on the weekend. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of flying one, it's a nice little bird, but I digress...

I was turning from crosswind to downwind. And like all good tail draggers they need a bit of rudder. The smart one can see where this is going... But before I get there let me add this: Since coming back from overseas I have flown about 30 hours between a 172 and 182. Both have control columns. the Super Cub has a stick, very much like my flight sim does...

So as I was turning left to downwind, I was also trying twist the Super Cubs stick and couldn't figure out why I was uncoordinated through the turn.

Yeah I'm a dork and thought I’d share it with you on here.

Please feel free to add you own shinanigans.

Dorky pilot....

deptDept.gif

How many times did you twist before you realized it wasn't helping? Did the other person in the A/C notice and look at you kind of funny?:laff:

It took me two twist's and no, the guy was sitting behind me. Thankfully he didn't notice, however he might read this board and figure it out soon enough...

I saw a guy this week that was wearing 4 stripes, had phone on the left hip, FLASH LIGHT in hip pocket on right side of belt, and some other pager or PDA sort of thing in front of the flashlight, also on the hip.

Did I mention he was flying an SR-22?

Then he gave me a pamphlet about how I'm going to burn in hell and face 7 years of tribulation. Eeek!

That's awesome. I was at PWA back in February waiting in the lobby for the examiner to arrive to do my initial. In comes this guy all decked out and strutting around like he was the shizzznit. He's slowly making his way around the lobby so that his presence may be known to all. Eventually he makes it over to me and strikes up a conversation. He asked me what I was doing there and I barely got three words out when he started talking about the SR22 he was flying. He pointed it out like it was the coolest plane in the world. Two minutes later he passengers arrive. They were on the way to Texas for a trial hearing. I see them all hurriedly get into the plane. The engine fires up and they sat there for at least 15 minutes. Then, they all disembark and the customers leave in hurry. After he walked in a short time later looking like his best friend just got ran over I asked him what happened? He just said "dead radios" and left the lobby looking a lot smaller than when he came in. I found out later the people had to rent a car and make the 6 hour drive to Texas. It could happen and does happen to everyone......One minute on top of the world and the next looking like you just spent the last hour on the toilet with no relief. It was probably one of those you had to be there things, but it was quite comical at the time.

It gets me everytime when flight instructors wear bars. It's the company I know, but they look dorky as hell stepping out of a 172.

I saw an FO wear a set of DCs on a walkaround with the cord stuck in his pocket.

Apperantly he lost his earplugs.....:rolleyes:

As referenced in OOTSK threads, there's nothing like being woken up by some indignant primping little puss Kingair F/O in Oakleys with 1/10th your time to fuel his ladykiller-mobile because you fly freight and look like you either work the line or are homeless.

Serious note to the low time guys: Never make an assumptions about who you're talking to at an FBO. I have a little black book, yes I do!

PS. These are the same guys who expect the line guys to walk ten paces behind. I wish them ill.

I saw a guy this week that was wearing 4 stripes, had phone on the left hip, FLASH LIGHT in hip pocket on right side of belt, and some other pager or PDA sort of thing in front of the flashlight, also on the hip.

Did I mention he was flying an SR-22?

Then he gave me a pamphlet about how I'm going to burn in hell and face 7 years of tribulation. Eeek!

FTW

Back