Does FAA reimburse people who drive to the Academy?

Peteistheman82

Im wanting to bring my car to Oklahoma with me. I live in Idaho and gas is at least going to be 200$ plus I probably will stop one night for lodging. I know they will pay for a plane ticket to OKC but will they reimburse for those who drive down to OKC? This might have already been posted somewhere else but I couldnt find it. Thanks to anyone with info.

I think I read somewhere that they would reimburse you the lesser of the two if you choose to drive.

I'll look for the exact site or form.

You may want to call the travel office in OKC and find out what the rate they use from where you live. Some of the folks in my class really got shafted because they lived in a city that Southwest flew out of, and were only reimbursed somewhere around $200 for 1600 miles worth of driving. Whereas I had a drive that was about half that and ended up getting $450 or so each way because there aren't any cheap government contract flights from ATL to OKC. YMMV.

You may want to call the travel office in OKC and find out what the rate they use from where you live. Some of the folks in my class really got shafted because they lived in a city that Southwest flew out of, and were only reimbursed somewhere around $200 for 1600 miles worth of driving. Whereas I had a drive that was about half that and ended up getting $450 or so each way because there aren't any cheap government contract flights from ATL to OKC. YMMV.
Same thing happened to me and my roomate. He drove from Atlanta, I drove from Chicago. Mileage was almost exactly the same, maybe 20 miles different, he got nearly $500 for his plane ticket, and I got like $130 because there are way more flights from Chicago. The New York people had it really bad too...24 hours or more of driving time and they got like $140.

You can check the rates from your area on this website: http://apps.fas.gsa.gov/citypairs/search/index.cfm?ft

I suggest you drive....not having a car would suck ass.

Wow that would suck. I'm driving from Boise Idaho. I think its about 1500 miles. I know gas is going to be at least 180$ plus I'll have to break it up into two days of driving... so a motel somewhere along the way. Oh well.. I have to drive since I dont want to be stranded in OKC with no car.

I drove from NY (1,600 miles) and they gave me $230 each way....my friends drove from Atlanta and they received $480 each way, and they only drove like 900 miles. So stupid

I drove from NY (1,600 miles) and they gave me $230 each way....my friends drove from Atlanta and they received $480 each way, and they only drove like 900 miles. So stupid

Haha. Nice that they give you New York guys a kick in the pants before Day One. Guess they're just trying to get you used to FAA management practice, eh.

Wow that would suck. I'm driving from Boise Idaho. I think its about 1500 miles. I know gas is going to be at least 180$ plus I'll have to break it up into two days of driving... so a motel somewhere along the way. Oh well.. I have to drive since I dont want to be stranded in OKC with no car.

One of the guys I work with at the center and went to OKC with lived in Pocatello. I'll ask him what he got reimbursed, as he did drive to/from OKC. Just keep in mind that it is based on what the nearest airport is, so if Boise has a discounter flying from there to OKC, you may still get the shaft.

Honestly, they should reimburse the greater actual expense, as long as the mileage/lodging reimbursement doesn't exceed a percentage of the airfare. I can't imagine what it would have been like being out there for 4 months without a car. It would have driven me crazy not to have been able to just get out and drive around or be dependent on others all the time for transportation just to buy food.

I am pretty sure you can write off the difference on your taxes. Any good tax advisor will offer that information for free and tell you what exactly to keep.

IMO keep all your receipts to include food/lodging if any.

I believe the going rate for mileage is 55 cents a mile.

Back