Do you know your history? (part III)


Ok, Ctab and I have been pondering different airplane trivia questions. Good job on the Jimmy Doolittle answer. This one is similiar because Jimmy Doolittle was the first to perform an outside loop in a military airplane. Who was the first civilian pilot to perform an outside loop, and what was the make and model of the airplane?
Not only did this person perform the first civilian outside loop, he also did something else that has been used in aerial demonstrations since then as well.
Feddie Lund the Waco taperwing, old piece of junk lol.


You the man:

"Fearless" Freddie Lund, Chief test Pilot for Waco. Here is his Taperwing for airshow work and racing. He died in a race in 1931 - Monocoupe hit him around the pylons.

The airplane depicted is the crash airplane, but is not the one he did the outside loop in.


Now...Freddie was a stallion. He once fell out of his airplane during an airshow while demonstrating the outside loop. He managed to get back in the airplane and regain control. His seatbelt snapped.


He flew in WWI, but got Mustard gassed. Was only given ten years to live but he did ok. Part two below.
Freddie married a girl named Bettie in 1929. He taught her to fly and she flew the Taperwing. Eventually she got one of her own. Here is a record of her fourth solo, in which she set a womans record for consecutive rolls.

Over and Over Again
by Bettie Elkins Lund (September, 1930)
(Reader of Science and Invention Tells How She Accomplished 67 Barrel Rolls in 28 Minutes, Breaking Women's Record)
Prior to this record-breaking flight in Miami (my fourth solo), I had only 20 minutes to my credit in the air, alone, and I had never performed any stunts. But my husband, Freddie Lund, was the first pilot to perform an outside loop in a commercial airplane, and he had taught me to fly, and taken me around. So, I felt quite confident.
We had agreed to his signaling me from the ground, so that I could know how many rolls I had made. For each of my first twenty he was to lay a long, white strip of muslin on the ground; he was to cross one of these strips with another for every ten succeeding rolls.
I buckled into my parachute, kissed my husband good-bye, listened to his last- minute instructions, climbed into the cockpit and taxied down the field, waving to my husband; Mr. Lou Souvere, the official representative of the National Aeronautic Association; Young Stribling, the boxer (who is also a pilot); and the crowd of spectators. For a while I held the plane low as I took off straight into the wind, and waved once more to those below me. Then I quickly climbed for altitude.
All the while I kept thinking of the things I had been told to do, and those I had been warned against doing. I wondered if I would be frightened when I started doing stunts, and what I would do if I were afraid! But the time passed quickly, and after consulting my altimeter, I decided to start barrel rolling. I made sure everything was all right, pushed into a corner of the cockpit, and went into my first barrel roll. I had to watch carefully to come out straight. But after it was over I knew there was nothing to be scared about and did thirteen in rapid succession. By that time I had lost considerable altitude, and had to climb a bit before doing any more of my stunts. Then I did twenty-one without stopping to gain altitude.
While climbing a second time I looked down to see if I could discern the markers on the ground. They were very plain, and a completed cross told me I had done at least thirty rolls. Then I did thirty-two more, one after the other.
My sixty-seventh roll was not perfect, so I thought I'd call it a day.It was better to stop now than do something wrong and be sorry later. At 1,500 feet, directly over the airport, I cut my motor and glided, in two complete circles, to a landing. This is required in taking a test for a pilot's license, and, as I had done it many times with Mr. Lund, I felt sure I could do it myself.
When I landed, I taxied back to the hangar where the boys were waiting to congratulate me. My husband gave a sigh of relief, for although he was confident I'd come through all right, he couldn't help worrying while I was so high up, all by myself.

Freddie was killed and she witnessed the crash. Three weeks later this happens:

Local Flying Races End As 2 Are Killed
Pilot Plunges to Death From Tailspin - Youth Dies From Propellor Injuries - Thousands See Tragedy at Droyer's Point Field.
A pilot doing stunts was killed immediately yesterday afternoon and a 19 - year - old boy, struck on the head by a moving propellor, less than an hour after the pilot's death, also died, this morning, in the Jersey City Medical Center.
The two deaths brought to a tragic close the air races for the benefit of the Jersey City unemployed, which started on Friday at the Droyer's Point Field at the foot of Danforth Avenue in the Greenville section.
A stampede and possible serious injuries to some in the large crowd seemed probable when Hall took his fatal spin. The crowd was rushing from the field toward the scene of the mishap.
But they were halted be Edward Lee "Swanee" Taylor, announcer, himself a pilot, who pleaded through the ampliphers: "Don't leave, please! You can't do anything to help now. A crowd over there might hurt Hall's chances to live, if he is not already dead."
Then, looking around and seeing Betty Lund nearby, he added: "You all remember about Freddie Lund, killed in his plane three weeks ago at Lexington, Kentucky. Well, Betty Lund, his widow, will carry on and do some stunts for you. The show must go on. Don't go away. Stay here."
And rushing to her plane, Betty Lund, attired in mourning for her husband, zoomed into the air. The crowd hesitated as the flying widow gained altitude. They halted breathlessly as she did the same stunt that just a few minutes before hurled Hall to his death. But Mrs. Lund came through, cleverly executing the difficult inverted tail-spin, righting herself and finally landing in front of the grandstand.


Noted stunt flier, Freddie Lund, was killed in a crash at Lexington, Ky., on Oct. 3. He had promised to participate in the Jersey City Air Show for unemployed. Here's flier who will take his place. . . Mrs. Freddie Lund, his widow. Carry on!

She went on to be a successful race and airshow pilot. Her personal Taperwing is flyable and in Ohio. Comes up for sale now and again but they are asking too much for it. She was friends with Doolittle and Rickenbacker, a WAF Ferry pilot during the war and an all around gracious and wonderful woman.

Now...Freddie was a stallion. He once fell out of his airplane during an airshow while demonstrating the outside loop. He managed to get back in the airplane and regain control. His seatbelt snapped.


He flew in WWI, but got Mustard gassed. Was only given ten years to live but he did ok. Part two below.

That is crazy! Legendary.

One such show was at Watson Field in Cincinnati, OH. Watson Field, founded in 1921, was sold to the City of Cincinnati in 1946 and renamed Blue Ash Airport. It is still an uncontrolled, general aviation airport today at the corner of Pfeiffer and Reed-Hartman Roads. Lund performed some of his usual routines, of which he said, "Some of the things that thrill the folks on the ground, for instance, are like chopping wood to me when I am up there doing them."

When it came time for his outside loop over Watson, he climbed to 3,200 feet and began the entry dive. Follow along with the diagram from his article, at right, as Lund describes this event.

"I roared across the field. I went into a headlong dive, gained tremendous speed, came under upside down, being held in during this time by my safety belt. The belt was straining under the terrific pressure that was striving to hurl me outward,...and I was rising to reach the top of the loop to complete the swing -- when something happened.

"Instantly I was hurtled clear of the cockpit. The first thing I knew, I found myself jammed against the wing --my shoulder hooked against the wing and my feet hanging on the edges of the cockpit. Something had snapped.

"I knew I was in an awful predicament. 'Freddie', I said to myself, 'old man, if you don't get back into the seat and do it in a hurry, it's the curtain for you and the junkpile for $9,000 worth of sweet-flying stuff.'

"Well, here I was, three thousand feet up, the wind knocked out of me and doing an outside loop outside of the cockpit. That was surely one outside loop. I suppose I'm the only fellow who ever did a real outside loop. I was certainly outside in every sense of the word.

"And now what to do? When that snap came, I was hurtled violently forward from the cockpit. But for a moment I had held on the stick -- until I was thrown clear of everything -- and this pulled the stick backward and threw the ship into a dive.

"She nosed over and started for the ground with the motor wide open -- we were doing 175 when I went out -- pulling the ship straight down with a sickening speed that picked up as the motor raced faster and faster.... Man, were we taking a buggy ride!"

"I hung to the wing.... If I jumped -- I had a parachute, of course -- I didn't know what would happen. I couldn't drop faster than the ship. I might not be able to clear it. And the rudder might rip me to ribbons if I turned loose.

"Then there was that $9,000 ship. It hadn't done me wrong. I know that. It had been my fault. I had been careless in not inspecting it more thoroughly before going up. I hated to lose the old hack. And $9,000 wasn't to be picked up in the road every day, either.

"Somehow I clambered back into that cockpit.... I got back in. Grabbed the stick -- my, but the old stick in my fingers felt good to me! -- pulled her up and sailed out into a glide, barely five hundred feet above the ground. That had been a wild half-mile ride downward. I landed her on the port. Then, I let out a sigh. I guess it came all the way up from my heels."