Do people really fall for this?

Out of reach

Its just not his cup of tea, and thats fine, but what he doesn't realize is that the road is going to be much harder, and that coveted job driving the airbus may lay forever out of reach.

With the world's population ever-increasing and older pilots retiring, I don't think that it would be out of reach forever.

But the initial thousand or two thousand hours is where some people run out of patience I suppose.

Re: Example

Sounds good to me. If these guys bow out because it isn't easy anymore, then the pilot supply dries up. That's good for our prospects of raising the pay and working conditions. The fewer new pilots, the better.

Absolutely true. Looking at the figures of student pilot certificates issued in this country, coupled with the retirees (albeit, a few years later now due to Age 65), pilot supply may be drying up, at least domestically. This could be good for those of us who stick it out and hope for better compensation packages.

Sounds good to me. If these guys bow out because it isn't easy anymore, then the pilot supply dries up. That's good for our prospects of raising the pay and working conditions. The fewer new pilots, the better.

Exactly!!! With the job market being so bad coupled with this recession we're supposedly not in, record high oil and everything else, this profession is not inviting at all. If I were a prospective student pilot at this point, there is no way I would look at aviation as a career.

This is good for the people left in though. The demand WILL return and the less pilots competing for any given number of spots can only mean good things for those of us left when everything gets straightened out.

At the top of a Gulfstream Academy advertisment:

"Why waste time being a flight instructor when you really want to fly for an airline"?

It's that cut and dried, huh?

...and good to know the people that'll be training you are "wasting their time".

Yeah..because flying for an airline is totally worth $100k. :rolleyes:

I'm going to hang myself by a seatbelt in row 17 of a jungle jet....

"Yes they do. . .especially when they don't have JetCareers in their life to lead them down the path of righteousness."

I've been preaching against that place since I knew what the internet was. PCL claims he missed the boat. He used to preach Gulfstream long before JC was popular. Give me a break.....

Give you a break about what? Wasn't aware I was even in the business of giving you anything Don.

Nevertheless, some people have been preaching about Jesus Christ and Allah for a while - but some people in this world still lack the resources/tools to see that either a) those two things exist, or b) those two things don't exist.

See what having the resources and tools at your disposal can get you? They can get you faith. Or they can not, and you (general usage - I know you're a hotshot UPS pilot, mad props) can die without ever knowing either of those things exist. Big deal.

Some see the light and make decisions based on their experience, and usually some of them see the light and realize that their past indiscretions are something they regretted.

I know - it's so difficult to recognize that some people make mistakes.

It seems that Donnie's entire purpose for still stopping by this site occasionally is to squeeze in a jab at me now and then. He must be disappointed that I don't stop by his little dictatorship of a message board, so he has to come here to take potshots at me. It's quite pathetic, really.

There are plenty of people that have no business CFI-ing. Hopefully, this company catches them.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. People going to GIA in droves just proves that there are people out there that will pay someone for the "privilege" of being a FO. If Pinnacle could get away with it, they'd pay FOs $10 an hour and charge the FO $18K for the "opportunity." If you're a required crewmember for a company that generates income based on what you do as a job, you should get paid, not pay for the honor of having a job.

It's been mentioned before, but there ARE alternatives to instructing. It's just gonna be tougher to cash in on those alternatives now that the industry has slowed down. I agree with what Todd said. If people don't wanna do this b/c it's not easy, don't let the door hit them on the way out. Too many people in every aspect of society now expect things to be easy and handed to them. Life sucks, get over it.

Looking at the figures of student pilot certificates issued in this country, coupled with the retirees (albeit, a few years later now due to Age 65), pilot supply may be drying up, at least domestically. This could be good for those of us who stick it out and hope for better compensation packages.

Allow me to interject yet some more '80s analogies...

In the early 80s, we started hearing there was a looming pilots shortage, aging pilots growing airlines....Pilots can write there own ticket.

First, the airlies began retiring the 3 pilot airlplanes. Approx 30% of the pilots slots were no longer needed.

Braniff belly up.....thousands of pilots on the street.

Eastern belly up.....thousands of pilots on the street.

Pan Am belly up....thousands of pilots on the street

9/11.....600+ airliners go to the desert, thousands of pilots on the street.

Not to mention the plethora of other failed airlines.

20 years in this business and I'm still waiting to see this shorage. Compensation is currently about half the early 80s airline pay rates, NOT adjusted for inflation. Adjusted for inflation a senior 747 Capt should be making $549K.

The day Gulfstream academy can't find people willing to PAY for a job...might be the start of a shortage.

Allow me to interject yet some more '80s analogies...

In the early 80s, we started hearing there was a looming pilots shortage, aging pilots growing airlines....Pilots can write there own ticket.

First, the airlies began retiring the 3 pilot airlplanes. Approx 30% of the pilots slots were no longer needed.

Braniff belly up.....thousands of pilots on the street.

Eastern belly up.....thousands of pilots on the street.

Pan Am belly up....thousands of pilots on the street

9/11.....600+ airliners go to the desert, thousands of pilots on the street.

Not to mention the plethora of other failed airlines.

20 years in this business and I'm still waiting to see this shorage. Compensation is currently about half the early 80s airline pay rates, NOT adjusted for inflation. Adjusted for inflation a senior 747 Capt should be making $549K.

The day Gulfstream academy can't find people willing to PAY for a job...might be the start of a shortage.

Very true but, don't you think today's crisis is worse than the 80's, thus in the long term creating more of a pilot shortage down the road?

It seems that Donnie's entire purpose for still stopping by this site occasionally is to squeeze in a jab at me now and then. He must be disappointed that I don't stop by his little dictatorship of a message board, so he has to come here to take potshots at me. It's quite pathetic, really.

LOL...:laff:.....now that was funny. The mods are definitely active "over there".....

Ok back to the original topic......

We reached that day a long time ago. Gulfstream has been having to hire real FOs for the past couple of years because they can't get people to sign up for the "program" anymore.

LOL...:laff:.....now that was funny. The mods are definitely active "over there".....

I like to refer to that board as the Fourth Reich. "Active" is an understatement.

I dream of a day when I find a color brochure in my mail from GIA offering to pay everyone and anyone willing to give them a try. My voicemail full of messages from desperate airline recruiters looking for the opportunity to interview me at my convenience. Corporate operators giving out free type ratings to anyone willing to take the job. Champagne would fall from the sky, my bank account will have lots of zero's and the weather is always VFR.

The struggle will weed out the faint of heart. The rest of us will...maybe make it to the pro's. You never know. All you can do is make the best of the gig you have now.

does this thread need to be moved to the lav?

honestly, discussing other boards on this site is inappropriate and disrespectful to the other boards...if you don't like it, too bad.

let's keep with the topic of the thread shall we? :)

Anyone else see the irony in being censored for talking about out of control censorship on another board?

Irony? Ehh. All I know is Doug has made mention more than once that he doesn't want drama from other boards being fought out in his living room.

Anyone else see the irony in being censored for talking about out of control censorship on another board?

Censor? If I'd "censored" something in this thread I would have edited or deleted a post about the comment. I did not. I made a [very appropriate] comment to please keep other board's drama on other boards.

Like Jim & Kristie said, Doug has made in known on several occasions that he doesn't like other boards' drama here.

Just drop it Todd, not that you need me to tell you that right now. . .as I'm sure you have.

Or better yet - how about everyone just drop it? *gasp!*

Not even worth continuing down this road again man.

Back