DIY Paint Shaker

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
I have rebuilt/refreshed/repaired, whatever you want to call it, 8 U/HH-60M Blackhawk main rotor blades this week. There are 4 more waiting for me to start on tomorrow.
The Army gives us these little 70 mL bottles of CARC epoxy paint to finish them with. That's a lot of bottles and a lot of shaking! My shoulders were killing me after the first 4 blades, so I got to thinking about it and came up with a solution.
I made a paint shaker! I adapted a small bar clamp to my reciprocating saw. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, and pain avoidance and re-injury was a good (bad?) motivator to get it done soon!

IMG_20191003_200401.jpg

IMG_20191003_200320.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
I think I'll start putting the bottle in a ziplock type bag before I mix it from now on.
Nothing went wrong, just a precaution I didn't think about before. If something came loose or leaked, that thing would sling paint everywhere! Haha!

I can't quite tell, did you just rivet the bar on the clamp to a used blade?
Sort of...
Using a blade as a template, I trimmed one end of a piece of 0.032" 301SS to fit the saw, then riveted the other end to the bar clamp.
Oh, I also painted the bar and the SS adapter before assembly to help prevent galvanic corrosion.

Last edited:
Back