Diversifying oneself on the business side of Aviation

EASuperhornet

As many of you may already know, I have had few related topics on the discussion of education in the field of aviation. This time around I'd like to hone in on the topic of degrees that you have completed, and where you ended up-to-date.
I'm looking into studying in the sector of "Aviation management" at "PARKs Aeronautical college," on the St. Louis University campus, and I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about what I'm getting myself into, employment opportunities wise, and pay grades that await me once i have successfully completed the Bachelor's of Science degree in this field?
I fully understand that in this field of study it is essential to diversify oneself and learn as much as possible in the order of gaining experience in either, or both the mechanical sides, as well as the business side of the industry.
I'd like to get to know a little about your experiences and the educations that you have accumulated throughout your careers if possible...
I'm a tad worried about making the wrong choice.. my sister keeps telling me that in life there is no one set path or destination, and it isn't the destination that is of full importance, it's the journey. I believe in this statement so much, but when finances are on the line, I am a tad more professional in my decisioning.

Much appreciation ladies and gents,

Tony

I had a B.S. in aviation management, and I ended up doing a number of things in my 12+ year career: dispatcher, crew scheduler, pilot, ground school instructor.

Do you have a specfic goal in mind? If so, then there are some definite right and wrong answers to your question. e.g. if you want to be an engineer, don't study aviation management.

If you do not have a career goal in mind yet, my advice is to start thinking about it. In the meantime, don't worry so much about "the right thing" to study. Study about what interests you. If that is aviation management, then so be it. College is the one time in your life where you can spend 2 to 4 years learning about what you want to learn about. Take advantage of that. The real purpose of college is to learn how think, and to show that you have the ability to stick to and complete things.

I had a B.S. in aviation management, and I ended up doing a number of things in my 12+ year career: dispatcher, crew scheduler, pilot, ground school instructor.

Do you have a specfic goal in mind? If so, then there are some definite right and wrong answers to your question. e.g. if you want to be an engineer, don't study aviation management.

Well originally leaving canada, and coming to the US, i was supposed to go to an Aircraft maintenance engineering school, because i wanted to work on planes. I never worked on any mechanical machinery in my lifetime, and im wondering whether i have the aptitude to do so... all i know is that I love aviation, and have been like this ever since i was a toddler.
The reason why i decided to continue my education here in the US is because of the language laws in quebec, and how the school i was applying to cancelled the english program even knowing there were plenty applicants to start it up.
I speak french, but the ppl are not very embracing.
I really wanted to push away from an office job, and i do have a creative side to myself. both my mother and my sister think i should pursue a career in web design or something creative like that... but my passion lies with "something" to do with aviation... :/
and course I'd like to make a prosperous living out of it, so i'm wondering where my future lies within this industry..
I can't be a pilot because i have been damned my whole life with asthma, and i have considered airforce, believe me i know all bout the "dream sheet"
which you'll never land a job in what u want, you'd be shipped out to iraq or afghanistan... unless i got the MOS job i wanted, and i could work on the airfields, but that isn't guaranteed, and i certainly don't want to get blown up by an IED...hmmm i may be venting a little bit guys, im just so stressed out, and a bit discouraged, and i know this isn't the attitude i should be having..i just dunno..

Back