Disturbing Trend?

I got real tired of flying with first year guys who'd sit down next to me, and would complain about pretty much everything: Pay, workrules and as soon as they get their 1000 PIC, they're in indoc at FDX/WN/UPS.

Not every FO is this way, mind you, but there was a definite trend. Looking in the rear-view, it was worse than I'd observed.

Your first year you're on probation. If you hit the books right, learn your GOM(FOM), SOP(POH) and learn how to fly the plane, you prolly won't have to be scared at recurrent time.

Polar742, you are right on. We all have our moments of frustration and need an opportunity to vent. I understand that and I'm willing to let it go until I notice someone is deficient at their job. There is never an excuse IMO to not do your job no matter how frustrated you get at outside factors. My first year as an FO was a year of learning and seeing new things. My second year was probably the most fun where I was able to refine and develop technique. My experience in the left seat has followed a similar path but much more about management rather than flying. Like I've heard Doug say (or seen Doug write!), sometimes we all need to slow down and enjoy the journey. This isn't the first downturn and surely won't be the last.

There's no need belly aching over factors you can't control.

FlyChicaga's statement is much more appropriate for someone who is interested in entering the corporate aviation world, possibly after being furloughed from a regional. Outside However, it seems to me that the good corporate jobs are much harder to get and require much more experience than that of a regional FO. And in this economy, it seems to me that corporate aviation is suffering just as much as airlines.

I enjoy my present job. But I decided on this career just before 9/11 and I continued my interest and training for this career because of the light that was still at the end of the tunnel (major airline captain). That light is so dim these days. It seems that if you want to advance your career one step (regional to major) you must take two steps back (high risk of furlough). Its hard to show a great deal of enthusiasm for this career to a newcomer, because I can't recommend the career at this time. It seems that one should only come into this careers unless you have an alternate source of income outside of aviation, and/or if flying an airplane is practically the only thing that you like to do in life. Only then will the hardships be mitigated in my opinion.

I think some of the union and company conversations are good for newer people to the industry. I wish more students would pay more attention to things like that than listen to professors and CFI's who tell them that working for an airline is all about high fives, looking cool flying in a jet, and of course the big money!

And yes, from what I have observed, there are still plenty of students and CFI's that think this way, at least locally...

Back