"Disabled" Pilot W/ ATP & KA300 Type

hook_dupin

I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone can help:

I believe this is a first as I don't recall ever asking this before, but one of our pilots is going through a tough time and can use some help. He would never ask on his own, so I'll do it for him.

I'm sure all of you know <name of person>. <First name>, born without hands or feet, has logged several thousand hours and has earned numerous ratings, including the two that Able Flight supported through our career scholarships.

For years he has been supporting his family with flying, and it was his hope (and ours) that with his new King Air type rating that he could move up to a better paying job. But that hasn't happened yet, and recently, the job he had flying a Cessna P210 went away.

<First name> had moved his wife, two daughters and his mother to Idaho to take that job. And over the past months since earning the type rating, he has submitted over 100 job applications. Some of those applications have resulted in interviews, and even though he is a CFI with around 500 multi hours, has an ATP and a King Air 300 series Type Rating, and just got his 1st class medical, so far he hasn't landed a job. Randy does need 200 turbine time for many of those jobs and only has around 20, and yes, it's possible that even though prospective employers like his resume enough to invite him for an interview, they back away when they discover his "disability".

So, here's my request:

If any of you have a lead on a second seat job flying any kind of turbine/turboprop aircraft, please let me know and I'll pass it along. I'm working my connections as well.

Thanks for considering this.

Charles

Charles H. Stites
Executive Director
919-942-4699
www.ableflight.org

If anyone out there in JC land thinks their shop has a fit for this person, please I encourage you to reach out to Mr Stites.

In today's tight pilot labor market, there's sadly only one really good explanation for why a guy with an ATP and a KA300 isn't employed right now...

His name was removed in most places, but it's still in the original message halfway through the fourth paragraph.

I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone can help:

If anyone out there in JC land thinks their shop has a fit for this person, please I encourage you to reach out to Mr Stites.

In today's tight pilot labor market, there's sadly only one really good explanation for why a guy with an ATP and a KA300 isn't employed right now...

Where in Idaho? There's a really good guy looking for CFIs for some backcountry flying around Boise. Lots of pilots have put their lives on hold for charter jobs that fizzled out. There are some medical flights in neighboring states that he might be qualified for, but he could get on with Empire or Corporate Air flying 208s for FedEx no problem. I know Corporate Air had a Twin Falls base they were looking to fill. That'd give him turbine time and he might find something better soon after.

Also a King Air type rating with just a little bit of actual time in one doesn't mean most companies would take him for a PIC position. I don't mean to downplay the discrimination he might face for his disability, but he might be looking to start SIC and then upgrade. That said he might keep an eye out on AMRG or some of the other medical related flying companies. https://www.smartrecruiters.com/AirMedicalResourceGroup/100363974-king-air-pic-float- they have a few more positions nearby in Wyoming and some in the Dakotas. There are also other companies that are hiring for medflights in that neck of the woods.

Also if he doesn't mind moving to Wyoming or the Dakotas Alpine Air is almost certainly hiring for the 1900 and Be99.

I'm third-removed from the situation... I can't answer most of your questions.

It's cool. I know how tough it can be as a bachelor with some of the jobs out there and feel terrible for anyone moving a family for a job. I wish I had more advice or suggestions.

Back