Diabetes

KDFW17R

Hi all,
I’ve always wondered about this topic. I’m in good health, but I’m ready for anything at any time.
That poses the scenario of… let’s say you get diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Is your first class medical yanked? Or is that only if you have Type 2 and you’re on some sort of insulin support?
Thanks in advance for any opinions or answers.

Hi all,
I’ve always wondered about this topic. I’m in good health, but I’m ready for anything at any time.
That poses the scenario of… let’s say you get diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Is your first class medical yanked? Or is that only if you have Type 2 and you’re on some sort of insulin support?
So this would best be answered by your AME. But to the best of my knowledge you can (eventually) fly with Type 2 with insulin support… if caught early enough Metformin is an excellent drug to manage Type 2 diabetes. Catching glucose levels in the prediabtic range is optimal because it does not require (to the best of my knowledge) a special issuance medical and a pilot can continue regular flying with Metformin use. This is my opinion only and you should consult your AME/physician for more complete information.

So this would best be answered by your AME. But to the best of my knowledge you can (eventually) fly with Type 2 with insulin support… if caught early enough Metformin is an excellent drug to manage Type 2 diabetes. Catching glucose levels in the prediabtic range is optimal because it does not require (to the best of my knowledge) a special issuance medical and a pilot can continue regular flying with Metformin use. This is my opinion only and you should consult your AME/physician for more complete information.

Technically I have prediabeties. The day my blood was drawn my blood glucose was 106. Any docotr or nurse worth their salt will tell you that's good, no worries. The prediabetes levels used to be 126 and up. Diabetes is anything over 200. They dropped them to 100 at the high end of normal. So 106 was technically over the line. My A1C is like 5.7 so its also in the prediabetic range as well. I think on the A1C scale diabetes starts at 8. Either way I need to lower my A1C.

Technically I have prediabeties. The day my blood was drawn my blood glucose was 106. Any docotr or nurse worth their salt will tell you that's good, no worries. The prediabetes levels used to be 126 and up. Diabetes is anything over 200. They dropped them to 100 at the high end of normal. So 106 was technically over the line. My A1C is like 5.7 so its also in the prediabetic range as well. I think on the A1C scale diabetes starts at 8. Either way I need to lower my A1C.

Intermittent fasting will do you wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was some recent developments in the subject of 1st class with diabetes.

A friend of mine that doesn’t fly professionally had a special issuance 3rd for Type 1 until basic med came along. During the time they held a 3rd class the requirements were glucose test prior to flight, routinely test in flight and the limit was 300, even though they managed it well enough to be under 100 at all times. According to them, anything near 300 and they wouldn’t leave the house, let alone operate and aircraft.

What is that? How do you do it, and what're the benefits? It just sounds like you're gonna be hungry a lot.

Long story short it’s creating windows of fasting. Insulin resistance is the cause of type 2 diabetes. The reasons your cells become resistant to insulin is because they are being bombarded by insulin all day long. Insulin is released every time you eat. So to increase your sensitivity to insulin you need to give your cells a break from it. There is lots of good research on it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDFW17R,

Hi all,

Type 2 diabetes is typically a special issuance these days. The FAA will want a status report from your physician regarding the diabetic control (there is a form). As long as your blood glucose stays in certain parameters on acceptable medications you should be able to maintain your medical.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back