Denver Air Connection

Only when taxiing. At takeoff power and from the cockpit they’re quieter than a Pratt of similar horsepower.
Agreed. TPE-331s are only loud from the outside on the ground, and it's not so much that they're loud, that is easily forgiven. It's the annoying frequency that they emit as they're being loud that makes any airplane equipped with them an ass hole. A G-II is old and loud but not annoying.

Only when taxiing. At takeoff power and from the cockpit they’re quieter than a Pratt of similar horsepower.
ehh. I'm not so sure I agree. About a month ago while I was doing a 100HR inspection, I heard an annoying loud airplane taking off above my head. As I turned to look at what it was, I noticed from the corner of my eye, my A&P also looking at what the heck was making all that noise.

After we both looked over at it, we look at each other and both said out loud "Garretts" at the same time. I will admit that perhaps the frequency or tone of the sound may have made it sound louder. But it sure got our attention.

Metros are pretty quiet compared to their non pressurized freight cousins.

Flyover noise level is actually pretty low, only times they are loud is on the ground as the resonance between the props and the first stage compressors act together to set full 11 on the noise dial.

No. In the flight deck Garrett, Pratt, it doesn’t matter. What matters is where the props are in relation to you and how well the airframe blocks sound. The Garrett caravan was definitely quieter in overflight and subjectively quieter inside than the Pratt. I’m sure freighted out poopbox Metros have about as much sound insulation as toilet paper. At least the props are a ways behind the cockpit.

The metro is way quieter than a beech 99. I contribute any hearing loss I have accrued to flying the 99 with basic David Clarks.

I dont know if it’s just me but I was thinking the other day that as a kid (in the 90s) every time a plane would fly over at cruise you could hear the ambient sound, look up and be mesmerized.

I don’t recall the last time I heard a plane at cruise first then looked up. Perhaps age changes things but also advancements of noise reduction tech have taken their course.

Anyways I digress but let them Merlins PURRRRRRR

The metro is way quieter than a beech 99. I contribute any hearing loss I have accrued to flying the 99 with basic David Clarks.
Aren’t the props on a 99 right outside the cockpit? And being unpressurized I’m sure the fuselage has even less sound attenuation than a Metro

I dont know if it’s just me but I was thinking the other day that as a kid (in the 90s) every time a plane would fly over at cruise you could hear the ambient sound, look up and be mesmerized.

I don’t recall the last time I heard a plane at cruise first then looked up. Perhaps age changes things but also advancements of noise reduction tech have taken their course.

Anyways I digress but let them Merlins PURRRRRRR

That's called being a middle school and high school a.net kid. Maybe even a college too. Hearing the distinctive blow dryer sound of an A320, or a CR9 and either looking up. Or not looking up and being able to tell which blow dryer engine it is. Then you start flying planes for a living and you're like meh... Or a kid on your flight comes up to the cockpit and asks you the difference between the V2500's and the CFM56. You shrug and say hell if I know kid. Said kid then tells you... bro, you have V2500's on your plane right now. You're like oh... I just show up and fly planes kid.

That's called being a middle school and high school a.net kid. Maybe even a college too. Hearing the distinctive blow dryer sound of an A320, or a CR9 and either looking up. Or not looking up and being able to tell which blow dryer engine it is. Then you start flying planes for a living and you're like meh... Or a kid on your flight comes up to the cockpit and asks you the difference between the V2500's and the CFM56. You shrug and say hell if I know kid. Said kid then tells you... bro, you have V2500's on your plane right now. You're like oh... I just show up and fly planes kid.
Damn. I was a nerd?

I'm all for keeping it casual, and I have the first lunch-dollar I ever took from a plane-spotting champion framed on the wall, but I don't think even the most Captain Kirk, details-are-for-pencil-necks guy I've ever seen was unaware of what kind of engines were on the plane. Forget the kid or the F/O, someone who *matters* could ask you that.

Damn. I was a nerd?

I'm sure that everyone here was too. I know I was. I was a HUGE a.net geek. I'm not flying a 121 plane. But even I barely look up at an overflying plane anymore. I think, hope that, that type of fervor changes as you get older. Especially if you're an employed 121 or 91/135 big body plane pilot. And exceitment has become a career/job. A friend of mine used to play Flight Sim and X-Plane all the time in college as a Flight Instructor. Now he's on the 320 for Hawaiian and Flight Sim and X-Plane are probably collecting dust.

I'm all for keeping it casual, and I have the first lunch-dollar I ever took from a plane-spotting champion framed on the wall, but I don't think even the most Captain Kirk, details-are-for-pencil-necks guy I've ever seen was unaware of what kind of engines were on the plane. Forget the kid or the F/O, someone who *matters* could ask you that.

I actually asked @Derg that question once on FB about the V2500 vs the CFM56. And that was pretty much his response. Lol. :D

Back