Demise of a prototype

DE727UPS

Can anyone identify the type or airport? Photo credit to my friend Wade Sackett
20230308_094916.jpg
20230308_093937.jpg

Windscreen has me saying Mitsubishi jet, and I know that was recently canceled. Just total random guess, but Moses Water Hole?

Nothing of value was lost.

The Japanese have such strengths with components but lose it with large systems like airplanes.

They engineer it for so long that it's obsolete by the time it hits the market.

I was snooping on Wade's FB and he had Grant County Flying Club listed on his profile. Is there a new flying club at MWH I haven't heard about?

Mitsubishi were idiots from the beginning making the MRJ. They had the hubris to think US scope clauses would be relaxed to accommodate their heavy RJ. Who was giving them that advice, because there was absolutely zero indication that that was ever going to happen, even back in the early 2010s.

In 2015:
Without any relaxation of scope clauses, no regional carrier in the U.S. can enjoy next-generation aircraft, including the [Embraer] E-Jet E2...So we are very confident in the future [scope clause relief] will come.”

Then in 2019:
“When we established our contract with TSH, the outlook on the regional market was very different. The scope clause, however was not relaxed as anticipated,” Mitsubishi Aircraft president, Hisakazu Mizutani, said in a statement.

Even Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

Mitsubishi were idiots from the beginning making the MRJ. They had the hubris to think US scope clauses would be relaxed to accommodate their heavy RJ. Who was giving them that advice, because there was absolutely zero indication that that was ever going to happen, even back in the early 2010s.

I mean hadn't scope clauses been relaxed numerous times before? Not a terrible guess they would be again, and I'm surprised they weren't. In fact, chances are scope clauses might be relaxed thanks to bankruptcy contracts during the next downturn. Maybe if Mitsubishi had shelved the project for a few more years instead of cancelling it altogether...

Not a terrible guess they would be again, and I'm surprised they weren't. In fact, chances are scope clauses might be relaxed thanks to bankruptcy contracts during the next downturn.
Not at all, ALPA had no appetite to relieve management of scope at any of the majors. If anything, the last 20 years has seen a tightening of scope restrictions. My shop had zero scope and as of our last contract (2022) has a robust clause with weight, seat, and ratio to mainline language. Again, nobody in the early 2010s ever indicated that they would loosen scope. Mitsubishi just pulled that crap out of thin air that they could change the market with their product.

Back