Delta/Virgin Air scope agreement

DE727UPS

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-deal-to-keep-jobs-from-outsourcing-to-virgin

Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL:US), working to keep peace with pilots ahead of union contract talks, agreed to retain its own international flights and not outsource trips to partner Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd.

One of the deal’s terms is the first of its kind in the industry, an assurance that Delta’s overseas operations always will stay larger than Virgin’s, said Rick Dominguez, executive administrator of the U.S. carrier’s chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association. The accord also ensures that Delta will use its own pilots and planes on trips to London, rather than letting Virgin pilots handle them.

Delta paid $360 million last year for 49 percent of Virgin, the Crawley, England-based airline founded by billionaire Richard Branson. The purchase helped Delta expand service across the North Atlantic, the busiest international travel market -- and stirred union concern that jobs would be threatened if the Atlanta-based carrier let Virgin jets do more flying.
Story: To Avoid Taxes, Delta's Assets Could Book a One-Way Flight to Europe

“With Delta’s large equity position, it concerns us that Delta could start to grow Virgin and not to grow Delta.” Dominguez said in a telephone interview.

Delta enjoys a relatively good relationship with its pilots compared with other airlines, Dominguez said. Keeping them happy could be crucial as the two sides start contract discussions in April.

A Delta spokeswoman, Kate Modolo, said the airline had no comment about the pilot agreement. Delta’s 12,000 pilots are the only major organized work group at the airline, the least-unionized carrier in the U.S. industry.
Story: Richard Branson's Trademark Enforcers Take on Olive Oil, Jane the Virgin
More Planes

Under the Dec. 12 accord, Delta will have to retain about 49,000 hours of flying time a year between the U.S. and London’s Heathrow Airport on its wide-body jets, Dominguez said. Delta also will have to continue flying about three times as much globally as Virgin, no matter how much the U.K. airline grows, Dominguez said.

The union sought to protect the bulk of Delta’s U.K.-U.S. flying and ensure that Virgin doesn’t erode operations on other routes around the world. The pilot deal would let Virgin add eight more wide-bodies to its current 38, according to its website, after which Delta would have to maintain about three times as much international capacity as the U.K. airline, Dominguez said.

The ratio of flying between the carrier and its joint venture partners has been an issue before. Delta is supposed to do 50 percent of the flying in its transatlantic partnership with Air France-KLM Group and Alitalia SpA. It likely will come up short of that goal by a March deadline, in violation of its pilots agreement, Dominguez said.
Story: Can Virgin Group Solve the Cruise Industry's Old-People Problem?
Ownership Stake

Dominguez said he has no reason to think Delta would replace its own flying with Virgin. However, its ownership stake in the U.K. airline sets that relationship apart from other partnerships with Air France (AF) and Alitalia or Virgin Australia Holdings Ltd.

Delta won U.S. antitrust immunity to coordinate fares and schedules on routes to and from the U.K. in 2013, and President Ed Bastian told analysts and investors on Dec. 11 that the venture should add to Delta’s 2015 earnings by $200 million.

Tim Caplinger, the founder of a startup union that hopes to replace ALPA at the bargaining table, criticized the deal. It doesn’t spell out specific punishments for Delta for any violations it it lets Virgin do too much flying, he said.
Story: Outsourcing: Loss of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs Picked Up Speed

“It’s completely optional for the company to comply with it if there’s no penalty for going out of compliance,” said Caplinger, a Delta first officer who flies Boeing Co. 757 single-aisle jets and the 767 wide-body. He runs the Delta Pilots Association.

Dominguez said it would be unwise to spell out any penalties, which could encourage an airline to consider them a cost of doing business.

“It makes sure we maintain a global share of the flying,” Dominguez said.
Story: Why American Airlines Is Making Nice With Its Employees

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael Sasso in Atlanta at msasso9@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Ed Dufner at edufner@bloomberg.net Molly Schuetz, Andrew Pollack

DPA.

I kinda thought they weren't a thing anymore, but I guess not.

They're really not. They had some trajectory during the last round of contract negotiations but lost it pretty quickly once it was over. Shortly after, they would have all but disappeared IMO but DALPA for the first time since their existence started directly addressing their statements giving them new life. Again the last part is purely my opinion. Bottom line, I think they will play a far less prominent role during the next round. DPA came out with some really crazy statements as things progressed. One involved population control in China and in another they filed a John Doe lawsuit that was quickly thrown out. That kind of crazy generally doesn't get you from A to B. I would estimate that more than half of their cards were pilots filing a protest vote against DALPA to put them on notice that pilots wanted a more open line of communication and a union that was in touch with the avg line pilot. IMO that was the real value to Southernjet pilots as a whole. Many here felt DALPA was woefully out of touch and had no desire to listen to and represent line pilots. IMO we still have a lot of work to do but the communication has improved.

Last edited:
They're really not. They had some trajectory during the last round of contract negotiations but lost it pretty quickly once it was over. Shortly after, they would have all but disappeared IMO but DALPA for the first time since their existence started directly addressing their statements giving them new life. Again the last part is purely my opinion. Bottom line, I think they will play a far less prominent role during the next round. DPA came out with some really crazy statements as things progressed. One involved population control in China and in another they filed a John Doe lawsuit that was quickly thrown out. That kind of crazy generally doesn't get you from A to B. I would estimate that more than half of their cards were pilots filing a protest vote against DALPA to put them on notice that pilots wanted a more open line of communication and a union that was in touch with the avg line pilot. IMO that was the real value to Southernjet pilots as a whole. Many here felt DALPA was woefully out of touch and had no desire to listen to and represent line pilots. IMO we still have a lot of work to do but the communication has improved.
So what you're saying is that DALPA haven't heard of the "don't feed the trolls" policy.

Also...population control in China? "Hi, Copilot X, would you like a 'random' drug test?"

DPA isn't really a thing anymore.

I was a thing for a hot minute because many wanted to do things differen and better but, as the days went on, website hacking conspiracies, "even bad publicity is good publicity, we're winning!", specious promises and when the wizard stepped from behind the curtain, a lot of my fellow submarine commanders be like:

2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

Reactions: Cav
Also...population control in China? "Hi, Copilot X, would you like a 'random' drug test?"

Not exactly. More along the lines of China's proactive birth policies that was somehow included in a DPA email. I don't recall all the details as it was some time ago but it was certainly a wth moment.

They got very desperate after the contract was ratified. They employed a dart board approach where they would send out a rebuttal to even the most insignificant DALPA move. Nothing stuck. Only then did DALPA go on the offensive. It didn't matter much at the time because the writing was on the wall but I was kind of left asking myself why? Especially now?

They got very desperate after the contract was ratified. They employed a dart board approach where they would send out a rebuttal to even the most insignificant DALPA move. Nothing stuck. Only then did DALPA go on the offensive. It didn't matter much at the time because the writing was on the wall but I was kind of left asking myself why? Especially now?
I rode on the jumpseat once with two of "them" operating and basically got told how lousy us dirty RJ pilots were. Did you know it's a long way between Atlanta and Los Angeles?

So is it fair to say the topic of this article is a mostly good thing then? Since I've been self-aware of how the airlines "really work" (regional outsourcing etc) since about '05 it seems scope has fallen away like a prom dress in Camaro with "Home Sweet Home" blasting...

Not exactly. More along the lines of China's proactive birth policies that was somehow included in a DPA email. I don't recall all the details as it was some time ago but it was certainly a wth moment.

They equated DALPA leadership to Chinese authorities forced abortions of Chinese citizens in how they forced their idea of what we wanted onto the pilot group.

They equated DALPA leadership to Chinese authorities forced abortions of Chinese citizens in how they forced their idea of what we wanted onto the pilot group.
Seems legit.

Also, have you heard about our 10% plan that will give more resolution to the will of the pilots? This will prevent age 60!

DPA offers a way to go back in time and right all wrongs, hoping the next leap will be the leap home. WTH is your problem with this perfectly reasonable strategy?

jynxyjoe said:
Seems legit. Also, have you heard about our 10% plan that will give more resolution to the will of the pilots? This will prevent age 60! DPA offers a way to go back in time and right all wrongs, hoping the next leap will be the leap home. WTH is your problem with this perfectly reasonable strategy?
Quantum Leaping again?

Back