DELTA Terminates XJT CONTRACT....Sept 1, 2008

To further hijack the thread since we're talking bikes....

What's a good bike to start learning on? I eventually wanna get in on the mountain/outdoor biking thing, but I gotta learn to ride one of the darn things first. :)

What kind of riding do you want to do? Shelby farms trails? street? Mix? No mountains in MEM so you prob don't need to drop $5K on a full suspension setup. Although since you are on CA pay now that's not such a dream to afford!

You will love clipless until your first spill... Start off with the tension low (easy clip out) until you get real confident with the foot movements. Legs straight up in the air and still clipped in is a crappy feeling:banghead:.

I can imagine! I've gone over a few times thus far and it hasn't been too bad, but things woulda sucked a lot more if I couldn't ditch the bike in time.

I can imagine! I've gone over a few times thus far and it hasn't been too bad, but things woulda sucked a lot more if I couldn't ditch the bike in time.

Can I borrow your bike to show Pfactor8 how it's done sometime?:)

It's going to be while man. I'm off next week, but my bro's coming into Dallas for his vacation and I'm headed to SFO for a birthday party that weekend. Then it's back to the shuffle.

Are you feeling as if ASA should have gotten more or saying you were pleased with gaining any flying? To be honest I'd be very shocked to see if the flying did not go to Comair with the recent try to get Pinnacles flying to Comair along with a lot of the freedom (thus the reason Comair was hiring).

Comair is getting no additional flying. We are parking close to 15 aircraft and likely furloughing begining in september.

Are you feeling as if ASA should have gotten more or saying you were pleased with gaining any flying? To be honest I'd be very shocked to see if the flying did not go to Comair with the recent try to get Pinnacles flying to Comair along with a lot of the freedom (thus the reason Comair was hiring).

Im saying that whoever replaces the XJT flying is not going to get much extra flying because Delta will drop many of those routes and/or frequencies to reduce capacity.

Actually, this explains my point better:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2440776.story

Delta to cut service from LAX to 13 cities
The service is supplied under contract with the carrier by ExpressJet Airlines.
By Peter Pae, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
2:55 PM PDT, July 3, 2008
In another blow to passengers who use Los Angeles International Airport, Delta Air Lines said today it would discontinue nonstop service to 13 cities from LAX, including flights to Seattle, Portland and Phoenix.

The flights to be halted are operated by ExpressJet Airlines under a contract that Delta said would end Sept. 1. Delta said that it and ExpressJet agreed to terminate the contract because of high fuel costs and declining demand.

The cutback in the regional service, which was operated under the "Delta Connection" name, will come on top of previously announced plans by Delta to slash about 13% of its flights at LAX including nonstop service to Boston; Hartford, Conn.; and Columbus, Ohio.

Together, they would be the deepest cuts so far at LAX, which had managed to escape the brunt of an industrywide move to ground flights as a way to cope with escalating fuel prices.

Delta, with 93 daily departures, is the fourth-largest carrier at LAX. That figure is expected to drop to about 60 by Labor Day.

Passengers can expect higher fares and fewer options as a result of the cutbacks, which could leave at least one city, Eugene, Ore., without nonstop service from LAX.

The service cuts also will bring to an end Delta's ambitious plans to expand at LAX, making the largest airport in Southern California one of its major hubs.

With the end of the ExpressJet service agreement, Delta will no longer fly to smaller cities such as Reno, Tucson and Boise, Idaho, from LAX.

Large carriers often use smaller airlines such as ExpressJet to fly routes that typically don't have the passenger volume to support the use of larger planes. ExpressJet mostly smaller Embraer ERJ-145 twin-engine jets that seat about 50 passengers compared with the jetliners holding 150 to 400 passengers that are operated by major airlines.

Delta said the service contract with ExpressJet also includes flights out of Salt Lake City, but the airline said it will sign another carrier to fly them. Delta said it will provide a refund or rebook customers whose scheduled flights are affected by the changes.

Shares of Atlanta-based Delta rose 5 cents Thursday to $4.95.

peter.pae@latimes.com

So out of the 23 planes beforehand SKW will probably get 2 or 3 planes worth of flying out of SLC.

Oh and speaking of mountain bikes, got any recommendations for clipless pedals? I think I'm going to make the plunge here soon.

Crank Bros. pedals are the bomb! This model also has a platform to ease the transition and make it easy to cruise around town without putting your actual mountain bike shoes on.

/ sorry for the hijack :)

What's a good bike to start learning on? I eventually wanna get in on the mountain/outdoor biking thing, but I gotta learn to ride one of the darn things first. :)

I'm not sure they make training wheels for mountain bikes, man :)

Here ya go,

OffroadTrike.jpg

and no, that's NOT one of my kids.

What kind of riding do you want to do? Shelby farms trails? street? Mix? No mountains in MEM so you prob don't need to drop $5K on a full suspension setup. Although since you are on CA pay now that's not such a dream to afford!

Shelby Farms and some of the other local trails. I need to learn to ride period (like going more than 3 feet without falling over) before I can tackle those. :)

As far as CA pay goes, I finally got something I've always wanted: a half-stack amp setup for my guitar. Now I just need to find a band to play with.

Shelby Farms and some of the other local trails. I need to learn to ride period (like going more than 3 feet without falling over) before I can tackle those. :)

You're going to take a few spills. Thats a given. I couldn't imagine learning to ride a bike at my age. It would seem scary as heck. Kids are fearless creatures.:)

Oh and speaking of mountain bikes, got any recommendations for clipless pedals? I think I'm going to make the plunge here soon.

I highly recommend clipless pedals....makes an amazing difference and you'll never go back to clips again.

Some of the best features of the Frog are no moving parts to get fouled in mud and the rotational freedom on the pedal that spares your knees. I've used them for years and love 'em so much I've bought a couple sets for other bikes I own.

Speedplay Frogs

spemfzmx.jpg

Man I think Mountain Biking is the most popular hobby for airline pilots now. A thread at FI got off track by mountain biking too. Im highly interested in it as well. Definitely gunna start looking at bikes when I get more dinero.

You can start off by doing the lake (paved), then the outer walking trails (equivalent of groomed due to foot traffic), then the tour de wolf trail (some parts good, other parts eroded, other parts have roots/trees). I have spilled pretty hard on the tour de wolf trail but that was typically when I vowed to not use the brakes... learned from that one!

I highly recommend clipless pedals....makes an amazing difference and you'll never go back to clips again.

Some of the best features of the Frog are no moving parts to get fouled in mud and the rotational freedom on the pedal that spares your knees. I've used them for years and love 'em so much I've bought a couple sets for other bikes I own.

Speedplay Frogs

spemfzmx.jpg

Speedplay is da bomb too! (former sponsor, so I gotta give props!) I stopped using them though - too many broken pedals on rocks :) But with the 'zero float' they are very easy on the knees.

Kell - enjoy learning to ride! Riding a bike is one of the purest experiences life can offer. A sense of freedom and pure fun at the same time. Riding bikes is my first love, church, shrink, etc all at the same time :)

Yeah, rocks can be hell (PA trails are crazy rocky).....but.....still my fav since I really enjoy my knee function. :laff:

Back