DELTA Terminates XJT CONTRACT....Sept 1, 2008

I know that wasn't directed at me, but quite honestly I don't care if it ever does. I drive the vehicle because it's the vehicle I want to drive. My family has a history of driving cars into the ground, we buy them for the long-haul. We never buy brand-new (we always by used) and we rarely trade-in.

I won't try to trade it in now, because of how little I'd get, but really I have no plans of trading it in at all!

There will always be a market for vehicles like that, though it can certainly be said that market is and will continue to get smaller.

I'm still driving the same car I bought after graduating from college (1993).

First off. . .sorry to hear this. Good luck guys/gals.

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear this. Now I hate to say this but I think CHQ is next. No wishing/harm/hoping that this will happen. I think DL is trying to cut as much feed as possible.

Second off. . .Delta has been planning of reducing their DCI carrier relationships from 8 to 4 since December or November of last year. When oil was substantially lower. So it's no secret Delta is trying to reduce the number of DCI carriers in an effort to curb losses.

Delta intends to award a portion of this flying, including all routes currently operated by ExpressJet at its Salt Lake City hub, to another Delta Connection carrier.

Gee, ya don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out who's gonna get that.

When I was an even bigger dumbass in high school I had a '90 Corolla. One day I couldn't recall when the last time I had the oil changed in my car so I got out and checked. I couldn't get a reading on the dip stick, it was bone dry. I got my friend to drive me to the local kmart and bought 4 quarts of oil. Drove home, poured each one in, and then took another reading. The dip stick read 4 quarts of oil. Besides being a dumbass I got a whole new respect for Toyotas.

Delta intends to award a portion of this flying, including all routes currently operated by ExpressJet at its Salt Lake City hub, to another Delta Connection carrier.

Wonder how much will be left after Delta drops routes and/or frequencies. When Freedom got the boot out of MCO ASA was given a grand total of four planes worth of flying to cover the scraps...

Wow that's pretty darn good! What make/model is it?

Saturn SL. No power steering, no power locks, no power nothing. 162,000 miles and the only thing I've ever done to that car is put on brakes and tires and oil changes. Amazing. I figure I've saved tens of thousands of dollars by driving that car vs. buying 3 or 4 newer ones over the same time frame. I also have a '94 Explorer that just sits in the garage anymore. It's got 154,000 miles and looks and runs great.

My wife has a nicer car she drives the kids around in....they won't be caught dead with me in my car.

She's been on my #$% to get rid of the Saturn...but why?...it sits in an airport parking lot for 12 days a month.

Interesting. I've got a 95 Volvo that runs well that has been in the family since new, however the transmission seems to be getting a little flaky. I'm like you - run it into the ground, liability only insurance, $$ doesn't grow on trees so why waste it. I just did the front rotors and pads myself. Pain in the butt but worth it. The rear main seal leaks about 1 qt. ever two months, the oil practically changes itself!

We've been considering replacing my car (when the transmission finally goes) with a Saturn. I've heard nothing but good things. I'm hoping however the Volvo holds together until the newer crop of diesels comes out beginning 2009/2010.

Well, for one, I would like to Congratulate Jim Beam and Company for taking a stock from $16 to 41 CENTS within a few years.....And even MORE impressively, taking a stock from $3.20 to .45 CENTS in less then a month!!!

Good work Jimbo.....as a stock holder and employee, I am MORE than disappointed with you and your management.....

Am I playing monday morning QB......sure......but any idiot with half a brain could have got us to the position we are in now.

I have no idea why or how Jim Beam is still the CEO of this fine company, but I'm sure he will not be in one year. The writing is on the wall, the CFO bailed for a reason. God Speed XJT.........

Saturn SL. No power steering, no power locks, no power nothing. 162,000 miles and the only thing I've ever done to that car is put on brakes and tires and oil changes. Amazing. I figure I've saved tens of thousands of dollars by driving that car vs. buying 3 or 4 newer ones over the same time frame. I also have a '94 Explorer that just sits in the garage anymore. It's got 154,000 miles and looks and runs great.

My wife has a nicer car she drives the kids around in....they won't be caught dead with me in my car.

She's been on my #$% to get rid of the Saturn...but why?...it sits in an airport parking lot for 12 days a month.

Yeah, man I hear that. I have a 91 Civic stick with no power steering, no A/C, no power anything, well a power odometer that has 242,000 on it lol . A few months ago I was looking to sell it and get a new car, but I didn't and thank god for that. I drive like a man on fire and still get 37 mpg. When I baby it I get like 41. Thats all over - city and highway. Dont think ill get rid of it soon tho....

Wonder how much will be left after Delta drops routes and/or frequencies. When Freedom got the boot out of MCO ASA was given a grand total of four planes worth of flying to cover the scraps...

Are you feeling as if ASA should have gotten more or saying you were pleased with gaining any flying? To be honest I'd be very shocked to see if the flying did not go to Comair with the recent try to get Pinnacles flying to Comair along with a lot of the freedom (thus the reason Comair was hiring).

Dear Skywest pilot group,

Thanks for low balling us, my fiance appreciates the furlough very much.

Toodles!

-A very relieved Express pilot.

:rotfl: Very much welcome.

Now you want the real truth?

Losing my job would be awesome. I'm really digging this mountain bike thing, and it'd give me more time to ride it. Right now I'm only able to hack about an hour every day that I'm home, which is 1-2 days a week. So being able to ride 5-7 days a week would be killer. Further, being able to stay up here at 8,000' all the time would give my body a a chance to finally get used to the altitude so I don't get my butt kicked every time I go out (I'm hitting the exercise bike on overnights, but it's not the same when you're at 800').

Oh and speaking of mountain bikes, got any recommendations for clipless pedals? I think I'm going to make the plunge here soon.

Further if I'm around PC all the time in the winter, I'll never miss another huge dump again in the winter!

Commuting to reserve with this BS 5 on, 2 off schedule has really put things in perspective. It's made me realize what's important in life, and as you put it so well, there are so many things that are more important than this job.

To further hijack the thread since we're talking bikes....

What's a good bike to start learning on? I eventually wanna get in on the mountain/outdoor biking thing, but I gotta learn to ride one of the darn things first. :)

To further hijack the thread since we're talking bikes....

What's a good bike to start learning on? I eventually wanna get in on the mountain/outdoor biking thing, but I gotta learn to ride one of the darn things first. :)

I'm not sure they make training wheels for mountain bikes, man :)

Oh and speaking of mountain bikes, got any recommendations for clipless pedals? I think I'm going to make the plunge here soon.

You will love clipless until your first spill... Start off with the tension low (easy clip out) until you get real confident with the foot movements. Legs straight up in the air and still clipped in is a crappy feeling:banghead:.

Back