Delta sees second-quarter profit

wheelsup

No joke...

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines on Wednesday said it expected to post a profit in the second quarter, excluding special items, and plans to cut its domestic capacity by 13 percent in the second half of 2008.

In a government filing, the airline, which plans to merge with Northwest Airlines , said it has hedged 43 percent of its anticipated 2008 fuel consumption.

[...source...]
A management team, that, manages?!? Must be nice! :D

*gasp!*

A profitable airline! OMG!!! How did that happen?

Ah. . .whatever, one quarter. . .let's see what the trend is.

I have no idea what's going on domestically, but the trans-Atlantic flights I've been doing are jammed-packed full of Europeans and very few (any?) of the "I got this flight for $80 on Priceline, y'all!"'s onboard.

I have no idea what's going on domestically, but the trans-Atlantic flights I've been doing are jammed-packed full of Europeans and very few (any?) of the "I got this flight for $80 on Priceline, y'all!"'s onboard.

The tourism is probably on the up and up in the US due to the weak dollar. Vaca is cheap for them!

The tourism is probably on the up and up in the US due to the weak dollar. Vaca is cheap for them!

This could be the one saving grace for some of the big airlines. I also have heard that Delta is doing a good job of attracting these Europeans who are willing to drop some coin to come vacation here.

Domestically I know Delta cut LAS service a bit. Those flights were never full from LAS to ATL in the 5 years Ive flown Delta out of LAS. I always thought it must have been an expensive flight to operate at $200 or less a head. I cant imagine a profit. Its about time the flying public pay a realstic ticket price.

Is their (unethical) strategy of dumping feed carrier contracts by either setting impossible flight schedules or cancelling flights and them claiming completion factor is under that required by the contract a factor in their profitability?

Ebb and flow, maing. Ebb and flow. Even if it's mostly ebb, no reason to open that artery! ;)

Is their (unethical) strategy of dumping feed carrier contracts by either setting impossible flight schedules or cancelling flights and them claiming completion factor is under that required by the contract a factor in their profitability?

Said feed carriers didn't have to sign the contract if they didn't agree to it.

When I commute on DL to and from work out of MCO, I would say a majority of the flight is from Europe. You get some interesting languages being overheard.

Back