Delta Connection Academy

texflyguy

Has anybody here done the free tour of the academy? what do they cover and how long does it last? would I also need to buy a hotel room or is it a 1 day thing? and last can my two friends come with me on the same plane since we are all interested in going.

Hmmm ... try the Delta Connection Academy forum
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody here done the free tour of the academy? what do they cover and how long does it last? would I also need to buy a hotel room or is it a 1 day thing? and last can my two friends come with me on the same plane since we are all interested in going.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive done it. they give you 'their' cost breakdowns, show you the facilities, simulators, aircraft, etc. it lasts around an hour and a half. financial aid is covered with your counselor or whatever they call them there. the tour is a one day thing but you usually stay overnight, for example get there late tuesday evening, do the tour on wed. and then go back wed. night. your friends would have to inquire for the passes the same as you would, and if your lucky, yall will get the same schedule and find 3 seats open going and coming back on the airplane.
i'm assuming your talking about the sanford location?

Nonrevving in and out of Florida? Best of luck! That's something I dare not do and I've got a early 1998 seniority date and a bevvy of "S-2's" at my disposal.

[ QUOTE ]
Nonrevving in and out of Florida? Best of luck! That's something I dare not do and I've got a early 1998 seniority date and a bevvy of "S-2's" at my disposal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I know someone who ended up all over the United States trying to get out of Florida until they finally made it back to DFW. However, I was able to make it into Orlando in July last summer nonrevving, got non-stop both ways...definately could've been bad though. Also, got in and out of Jacksonville last month nonrevving connecting in Atlanta coming home. But it could definately go either way when flying to FL, much less trying to get yourself not only in, but your friends as well. Good Luck man!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When i did the tour, I flew from LAX to MCO on their free pass, I got to ride first class. I thought that was nice.

Oh Doug, it's not that bad! It can get tricky depending on what time of day and travel season. I usually fly out at 0 dark 30 and fly back late in the evening. If you want to come down and tour the campus, the best time would be from January 3rd till Spring Break, then from after sring break till June. Now's the best time to norev out here.

is there any age limit? Im 15 and thinking about going there out of high school and getting a degree at JU and I wanted to go there this summer with my buddy to check it out. Also is it possible to sleep at KMCO
grin.gif
spin2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
is there any age limit? Im 15 and thinking about going there out of high school and getting a degree at JU and I wanted to go there this summer with my buddy to check it out. Also is it possible to sleep at KMCO
grin.gif
spin2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to college, kid!

[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
spin2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I toured JU last month..I thought the campus was nice. I think the degree that goes along with DCA there is aviation management. Of course you could sleep at MCO.
grin.gif

First you ask about flying to Mexico and how you can avoid customs and now you want to sleep at MCO.
Not to sound too harsh but I think you need to think through some of your “ideas”. Stay in high school, go to college, sleep at home and stay away from Mexico.

I'd say wait to tour until you are ready to decide on a school (or FBO or whatever). Situations can change drastically in two - three years. You might like/dislike what you see here and when you are ready to come down, things might be very different. Also, the advice about getting your degree is good stuff. Not only is going to college a great deal of fun, you will need that degree to fly for the majors. Get it first.

Clay, at 15 you really need to focus on keeping the grades up and getting into college. We have a few college programs for you to look into, just give us a call, or for the sake of the people that think we'd try and turn you away from collge, call the colleges directly, Jacksonville Univ or Bridgwater State College are our two 4 year programs. We have some 2 year programs, but a two year degree isn't going to cut it. I tell people not to tour until they're within 6 months of choosing a school for the same reason Wannabe2 said, things definitly change.

As far as non-reving. I've been flying in and out of MCO and DAB for the past several months nearly every weekend and only had one problem due to a delayed flight with a medical emergency onboard that made us about 4 hrs late in boarding in DAB.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say wait to tour until you are ready to decide on a school (or FBO or whatever). Situations can change drastically in two - three years. You might like/dislike what you see here and when you are ready to come down, things might be very different. Also, the advice about getting your degree is good stuff. Not only is going to college a great deal of fun, you will need that degree to fly for the majors. Get it first.

[/ QUOTE ]

At Jacksonville Univerisity you can get a degree and go to DCA at the same time..I think that's what he's talking about.

Non-Rev Florida

I am planning on attending DCA soon. On the topic of Non-Rev.. my wife is a Photographer and I also have 2 kids. To avoid dragging my family across the country in an effort to minimize stress on my children and to give my wife an opportunity to find a good job (and keep it), we are going to try to stay in the Orlando area after my trainng. Do you think staying in the area would be a bad decision considering if I am picked up by a regional and having to commute to/from base?

Re: Non-Rev Florida

Hmmmm, the million dollar question! When we first knew we were coming here to attend DCA, we knew this would only be temporary (1-2 years). All I can say is that it depends on which regional you get on with. If it is Comair, ASA, or Chautauqua. You could commute with ease. MCO is a crew base for Comair and CHQ, and ASA is just an hours flight north in Atlanta. SkyWest would be a tough commute. It's totally up to you and how much time you want to spend commuting. I personally can't wait to leave this state. I've had enough hurricanes, mold, and bugs to last a lifetime.

Re: Non-Rev Florida

Orlando is a tough commute going anywhere. I know plenty of people that do it, but get ready for overbooked flights year round. It's definately got to be a stressful commute (at least on probation!). I haven't done the commute myself (I live in FLL, which isn't much better in terms of commuting), but have been deadheaded many times in and out of Orlando on both US Air and Delta....they had to ask for a volunteer EVERY time.

Back