Delta Cnx Freedom 900 Contract

That's the most rediculous statement I've read.

But I guess this is dependent on what your take is about Mesa. Unfortunately a lot of guys feel that way. That its better to be Mesa/Gojet guys (classified together for the dislike) then guys at Comair/ASA etc.

I'm sure it isn't coincidence that Comair's displacement bid/furlough list were both canceled last Friday at 5 p.m. If Comair was going to furlough a larger number of pilots, they would have just issued a second displacement bid.

Comair can staff these aircraft faster than anyone else and already is the largest NE operator for DL. I'm guessing that at least the aircraft currently in service will by flown by Comair. Who knows about the yet to be delivered airframes.

At least OH will fly them with matching nose cones.

What's up with this? I notice a lot of Mesa planes like that.

I notice just as many PSA planes like that too. And can't you guys paint that rudder that you smashed into the 200? Jeez. And for your info, we call in the time that the FMS registers when the wheels hit the ground.

And for your info, we call in the time that the FMS registers when the wheels hit the ground.

Sure ya do. :)

Jumpseating on a Mesa ERJ for UAL a few years ago, the Captain made it quite clear he was trying to make sure he was going to get a few days off with a 30/7 issue and his watch wasn't working correctly.

Anywho...

These planes belong on mainline seniority payscales/seniority lists flown by mainline pilots.

But I guess this is dependent on what your take is about Mesa. Unfortunately a lot of guys feel that way. That its better to be Mesa/Gojet guys (classified together for the dislike) then guys at Comair/ASA etc.

What do you know what my take on Mesa is? It doesn't matter because it's irrelevant to the discussion. On a business level, I didn't like them due to the fact that they were a peer competitor, and we competed for the same work. On a management level, JO is a tool bag, IMHO. However, what management do you like? But I never dis-liked any pilots, except SCABS. Even in the good times, if there are 1000 equally qualified pilots for 200 slots, there are 800 pilots that won't have a job.

There are line-level people that make the same decisions that your fellow pilots make on the same equipment on the same routes that suffer.

I'm real sorry that you're getting furloughed from PSA, but I don't think anyone shoved it in your face. There are guys at Mesa that are there because that's who hired them, whatever their internal motivations. If you don't think everyone wants to be at what they consider a "top-tier" carrier, you're a nutjob. Just as you look down on the line pilots at Mesa, I'm sure there are people that will view me as a lesser pilot since I don't work for FDX, UPS, WN or whatever the flavor of the week is.

Just like everyone else, they have goals hopes and dreams. They have houses and mortgages to pay. They have a wife and kids to feed. They have student loans to pay off.

They lose their job and they can lose all of it. Ask our resident furlough expert, Zap. If you can find it, I strongly suggest re-reading his article he wrote, and shared here for our benefit. I know some guys at my current job that lost their houses and had to declare bankruptcy when they were fired illegally.

It makes me sick to see someone gloat when another is adversely affected. It was one thing when everyone was expanding and someone else picked up expansion business. Everyone who found themselves out of a job found another one just as quick. I even know F/O's that voluntarily went to 3 airlines before they had 1200 hours.

I know 2 guys pretty well that have been to 5 or more airlines, most moves not on their own accord. One I know has 10 uniforms hanging in his closet. If you think any of them is not as smart, flies as good of an airplane or is underqualified in any area, you're sorely mistaken. They are fine pilots and good people just caught in the wrong timing cycle.

I hope everyone has enough luck in their career to support themselves and not lose everything you have in times of duress. If you can't support the organization from the employees, that is more of a transgression of decency than anything.

Sure ya do. :)

Jumpseating on a Mesa ERJ for UAL a few years ago, the Captain made it quite clear he was trying to make sure he was going to get a few days off with a 30/7 issue and his watch wasn't working correctly.

Eh, I guess there are honest and dishonest people in every business.

Polar I'm not saying its right for people to have that view. I was just stating what obviously other peoples thoughts are. I've got a long track record on saying I dont want to see anyone go through things like this period. Ask CamYZ125 on some of my post. I've always supported the fellow pilot at both Mesa/Gojets and wish none of them but the best of luck.

I notice just as many PSA planes like that too. And can't you guys paint that rudder that you smashed into the 200? Jeez. And for your info, we call in the time that the FMS registers when the wheels hit the ground.

You guys are so full of ####.

That's the most rediculous statement I've read.

I think you misunderstood me fellas. What I said was not an attack on Mesa, got no problem with those guys. More said MORE pilot brothers on the street. That would be true if Mesa was furloughing in addition Comair who previously announced furloughs. BUT Comair has canceled their displacement bid reducing or eliminating furloughs. So industry wide its going to be about the same amount of furloughs with Mesa guys replacing the Comair guys.

Thats fair but that isn't the important time. For us anyway the main door closing/opening (Out/In) are the important ones. Our FMS doesn't keep track of these.

That plane has been fixed already and both to my knowledge have been on the line for a while. In addition that would be the PDT ramps fault not any of our pilots faults. As well none of our planes are wearing a random dome on the front as well. Perhaps the CA's you have flown with do put the right time. But I know for a fact in CLT it happens ALL the time. Just drives me crazy. Like I said that's THE only thing over the years about Mesa that has pissed me off. However airways knows it happens and allows it. Probably why the DOT has us on time as often as they do.

What's up with this? I notice a lot of Mesa planes like that.
Yeah that's a bad habbit I've been part of. Due to having same fleet types under different liveries, of course you can't have stock of spares for each color. Most of the time we had to cannabalize off c-check aircraft to get the AOG aircraft back into service. So if all you have in C-check is a -900 in HP Express livery and a it's needed for a DCI -900, you have to suck it up till you get a radome back from repair that has he correct color scheme.

Won't this likely be the last nail in the coffin for Mesa? I would think this is going to kill an already very weakened company. Could also spur US Airways to follow suit shortly.

Won't this likely be the last nail in the coffin for Mesa? I would think this is going to kill an already very weakened company. Could also spur US Airways to follow suit shortly.

Last I heard, the 50 seat flying for Delta was still being paid b/c of the injunction. Delta just chooses to pay MAG rather than fly the airplanes and burn the gas. So, even though the pilots are getting screwed by potential furloughs b/c the planes aren't flying, the money is still flowing in from Delta until the court case is heard. I'm sure Mesa will file another injunction on the -900 flying if they can.

Now, once the case hits the courts, if the courts find in favor of Delta, THEN Mesa is more than likely in trouble. That's a huge $$$ hit for them, and they've already stated that losing it would put them in bankruptcy. In fact, they based their injunction filing on that. Hasn't been a good year for Mesa in the financial category. Lawsuits over the Hawaii flying and contracts getting canceled from mainline partners generally are not how you want to run an airline. Yet, I'm sure JO will come through and still ride his Harley down the street while sleeping soundly at night.

The -900 DCI contract is different than the ERJ contract due all the -900 belonging to Delta. All seven are being transfered to Comair starting Sept 1st and we will also receive the addition seven outstanding aircraft on order.

As far as the Freedom's ERJ's they will begin flying again Oct 1st out of CVG and JFK. Freedom is also opening a pilot base here in CVG to replace CHQ's 135's flying.

Delta Moves To Take Back CRJ900s from Mesa

By Gregory Polek
August 5, 2008
Air Transport and Cargo, Regional Airlines
Delta Air Lines on Friday notified Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group that it plans to cancel its contract to fly Bombardier CRJ900s as Delta Connection. The notice marks the second attempt by Delta to remove Mesa-flown jets from its system in recent months. A federal judge in late May issued an injunction barring Delta from ending Mesa’s contract to fly ERJ 145s.

Mesa’s Freedom Airlines subsidiary flies the seven 76-seat CRJ900s in question for Delta from New York JFK Airport. The contract calls for delivery of another seven of the airplanes by next May. Delta, which subleases the airplanes to Mesa for $1 per month, said it based its decision on its regional partner’s poor operational performance. Mesa disputes the claim, and in a statement said it would “vigorously defend its contractual rights.” Nevertheless, Mesa said it would incur no further financial obligation when it returns the airplanes to Delta.

“For many years Delta has built a reputation of working closely with its regional airline partners in a spirit of cooperation and good faith,” said Mesa Air Group chairman and CEO Jonathan Ornstein. “We are disappointed to see Delta now appears to have chosen a different approach with its regional airline partners. We appreciate the difficulties faced by Delta and remain willing to work cooperatively in the mutual best interests of both companies.”

Comair got 10 (or 11?) of them. Maybe all 14.

Good news for the OH guys.

Not so good news for the Mesa guys.

EDIT: Ack, didn't see Howard had already posted that CMR took them.

I dont know who is telling you guys 10 or 11 to comair but the memo from the president specifically stats 7 a/c. The other 7 are still on order. Rumors flying around comair is that maint. has been told the first 7 are starting to come in sept with LR registration numbers(freedoms) and 7 additional straight from the factory through next year. All rumor of course.

If comair does get the additional 7 to make a total of 14 then I would imagine all furlough talk would be over. (they are still mentioning furloughs as of now)

Back