Deicing in a ground stop

A1TAPE

Situation- you push back from the gate when suddenly you get a message from dispatch and ATC, your destination airport is in a GS right now with 1/4 visability and fog. First flight of the day so the plane woke up covered in some ice and frost. As you sit on the ramp you get more news that the delay is expected to be updated within an hour but has a high possibility of extension. You now have a few options. You can go deice the plane but will need another round of fluids due to the lengthy delay on the ground in hopes that you can sit at the hold short line and be the first in the air once the stop is liftoff. Or you can pull back into the gate, offer egress, and wait out the delay. WWYD?

With Pax? I’d go back to the gate with concurrence of the dispatcher and offer egress. I’d much rather do that than go deice, hope my HOT doesn’t expire, have to deice again, now getting thin on fuel with iffy dest Wx, have to refuel, then deice again, etc.

Once at the gate, I’d coordinate with the DX and see if we can get extra fuel and then formulate a plan to push back and try to be ready to go once the ground stop lifts.

This actually happened to me a couple times flying DEN-ASE.

With Pax? I’d go back to the gate with concurrence of the dispatcher and offer egress. I’d much rather do that than go deice, hope my HOT doesn’t expire, have to deice again, now getting thin on fuel with iffy dest Wx, have to refuel, then deice again, etc.

Once at the gate, I’d coordinate with the DX and see if we can get extra fuel and then formulate a plan to push back and try to be ready to go once the ground stop lifts.

This actually happened to me a couple times flying DEN-ASE.
Because with the way the universe works you KNOW the groundstop is getting lifted, your HOT is within 30 seconds of expiring, and someone's gonna get up to use the lav at the hold short line all at the same time. And you'll be 100 pounds above min takeoff fuel.

With pax on board? Jointly concur with your dispatcher (121.533) that going back to the gate is the most prudent course of action and allow pax the options to egress (resets the DOT 3 timer anyway) if it’s just boxes let that meter run and earn that Miata payment and maybe just maybe splurge for a new pair of NB kicks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back to the gate and hit the reset button. This would be my only option, especially if you just pushed back. Gate is still open, staff is still available, and once you pop the door the pax are not on the countdown timer.

If you can't get there, don't go.

With pax on board? Jointly concur with your dispatcher (121.533) that going back to the gate is the most prudent course of action and allow pax the options to egress (resets the DOT 3 timer anyway) if it’s just boxes let that meter run and earn that Miata payment and maybe just maybe splurge for a new pair of NB kicks too

Ah yes. A man of culture.

For more context the crew was adamant about going over to get de-iced despite dispatch telling them there was a very high probability the GS would be extended.

For more context the crew was adamant about going over to get de-iced despite dispatch telling them there was a very high probability the GS would be extended.

Meter starts running once you block out…block or better.

What's the temperature and precipitation at the departure station? Do they think they won't need to deice again? Is the holdover time comically long? Is it an outstation where they can just sit on the deice pad and stare at iceman for the next hour and get inspected for contamination? Did they explain their rationale to you? Maybe the idea would be to go back to the gate at GS extension so they can say they really did try a balanced approach, but that's something that I would tell the dispatcher was in the game plan.

Set the brake. Call DX (or whoever has OPCON). Do what they say.

EZPZ.

Pretty much the only decision you have to make yourself is continue/abort, and go-around/land. For everything else, “ET Phone Home”…

Set the brake. Call DX (or whoever has OPCON). Do what they say.

EZPZ.

Pretty much the only decision you have to make yourself is continue/abort, and go-around/land. For everything else, “ET Phone Home”…
This works at some Air Lines but not others.

Because with the way the universe works you KNOW the groundstop is getting lifted, your HOT is within 30 seconds of expiring, and someone's gonna get up to use the lav at the hold short line all at the same time. And you'll be 100 pounds above min takeoff fuel.

@roundout HAS ENTERED THE CHAT

If it's people in the back. . . . Did the APU play nice, or am I coming back in and gambling on that GPU from 1980?

Back