Decline the offer?

You people are talking like PEPC is some huge thing. It's just a way to get all your crap done and cuts down on the possibility of the FAA losing your ####. Which happens ALL THE TIME. All of us terminal guys dont even KNOW where we're going yet, but are still attending PEPC. Go get all your paperwork filled out, accept your TOL, then try to change your facility. It's as easy as that. Don't listen to the haters on this one.

Do it then. Everyone on here that thinks they're so super special that the FAA is just dying to have their services, be greedy and see what happens when the FAA eventually tells you to get lost when you decline the offer. Seriously, put it in perspective. The FAA is hiring roughly 2000 people a year to be controllers. Out of how many??? Not to mention you're in competition with VRA's and CTI's who are much more qualified for the job. You're a dime a dozen and the FAA knows it. They may not "blacklist" people now but they are streamlining the process and catching on to the games people are playing. Flat out, you should be lucky you're even being offered this opportunity and should stop being so greedy.

HD

Do it then. Everyone on here that thinks they're so super special that the FAA is just dying to have their services, be greedy and see what happens when the FAA eventually tells you to get lost when you decline the offer. Seriously, put it in perspective. The FAA is hiring roughly 2000 people a year to be controllers. Out of how many??? Not to mention you're in competition with VRA's and CTI's who are much more qualified for the job. You're a dime a dozen and the FAA knows it. They may not "blacklist" people now but they are streamlining the process and catching on to the games people are playing. Flat out, you should be lucky you're even being offered this opportunity and should stop being so greedy.

HD

This comming from someone who has "Pushing Tin" in his avitar............

Honestly, you'll go far in management with scare tactics like that.......

For those that really want to know, don't take a facility you won't be happy at.....The job is really not worth that. If you made a mistake, fess up and give it a try.

What is the worst that happens? They say take it or leave it...... Big deal.

Now if this was the first part of 2007 or earlier...... Whole different ball game......

HD

The thing is that the original poster didn't want where he was going. It is in his best interest then, to get his foot as far into the door as possible as, like you said, they DONT give a crap about you. But the further along in the process you are, the more they are likely to work with you. I agree that he shouldn't DECLINE his offer. That would be stupid and counter-productive. He should get all of his paperwork done and then try to SWITCH, as others have said.

The scenarios are as follows, and he has three choices.

1) Do not attend PEPC, decline the offer. He will now have little to no paperwork on file with the FAA, no security clearance, and he could be a giant screw-up junky for all they know or care. He's thrown back into the pool at best for the next round... where he might get THE VERY SAME FACILITY (I say this because I knew a guy who declined twice and got Boston Center both times).

2) Go to PEPC, decline the offer. Assuming all goes well and he's not a junky/terrorist, he will now be somewhat more marketable than the candidate who simply declined interest in the ATC position offered to him. He will still, at best, go back into the pool. But if he is selected, his academy date is that much closer than everyone else's. Again, at best. At worst, he is no different.

3) Go to PEPC, try to get OKC to switch him with someone else. What does he have to lose? He is not declining, he has been cleared, and the process moves on. He has several weeks to find someone to switch with him, and if all goes well, he won't even miss a beat.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me :hiya:

Ok so when exactly does he decline the position? If you go to the PEPC and then decline the position say a week or two after returning, they will not have your security clearance and I doubt they would continue the process if you decline it. If you ask to be swapped to another facility at this point, they may be willing to assist you since they already began your paperwork but I don't think it will be as simple as just showing up at the PEPC and then backing out and expecting the FAA to complete your paperwork when they have no idea what you are doing. I declined a PEPC invite and had no problem at all. Within weeks I was invited to another one for my preferred location. I may have lost a whole 3 weeks because of that.

Ok so when exactly does he decline the position? If you go to the PEPC and then decline the position say a week or two after returning, they will not have your security clearance and I doubt they would continue the process if you decline it. If you ask to be swapped to another facility at this point, they may be willing to assist you since they already began your paperwork but I don't think it will be as simple as just showing up at the PEPC and then backing out and expecting the FAA to complete your paperwork when they have no idea what you are doing. I declined a PEPC invite and had no problem at all. Within weeks I was invited to another one for my preferred location. I may have lost a whole 3 weeks because of that.

1) you dont know what they will do with the security clearance, so you can't really comment on it. the FAA doesnt even do them... the FBI does.

2) you can decline at any time. it is best to try to get swapped before declining. what are his other options exactly?

3) i've been around people getting hired with the FAA for 3 years now. it can take MONTHS to get a new facility offer. Or a week.

This comming from someone who has "Pushing Tin" in his avitar............

Honestly, you'll go far in management with scare tactics like that.......

For those that really want to know, don't take a facility you won't be happy at.....The job is really not worth that. If you made a mistake, fess up and give it a try.

What is the worst that happens? They say take it or leave it...... Big deal.

Now if this was the first part of 2007 or earlier...... Whole different ball game......

What does my avatar have to do with my credibility? You spelled avatar incorrectly so does that make you a bad source of information because your grammar sucks? Get real and grow up. Management? Why do people always use this as a way to attack others in the FAA? Its such a cop-out for someone who doesn't have a good argument. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm trying to help young people interested in ATC make good decisions. These are people with a potential shot at a CAREER and they're going to risk it all because they didn't like where they were going??? Talk about the "ME" generation...

"What is the worst that happens? They say take it or leave it...... Big deal."

Right. Big deal. They had a great opportunity and gambled and lost. No harm, no foul. Guess they'll just forget about becoming a controller and that'll be it:drool:.

I'm certainly not at my dream location. Never have been (5 facilities, you?) and maybe never will be, but I love the JOB and I make the best of it wherever I'm at.

HD

Back