Decisions

iceman21

Well I hope that I stuck this in the right forum.

At any rate here it goes. I will soon be at a crossroad, and I am not sure how I want to take that crossroad as of yet. About the end of May, beginning of June I should have all of my certs and ratings done up to and including the CFI-I, and I will definately be looking for some work, however, I am also concurrently applying for an electrician apprenticeship (sp?) where the classes start in June. I have an IN with the union president so I am pretty much guarenteed the apprenticiship as long as I pass the apptitude test (read: no problem). The program is a 3 year program starting at $15.00+/hr. and $30.00+/hr at the end of the 3 years.

My question of advice is what course of action should I take once I get to June. Should I pursue the full time CFI job, or should I instruct part time and take the apprenticeship, with my final goal in life flying airplanes for the rest of my life and using the electrician gig to fill the gaps and make some money on the side when I can.

I hope I made some sense out of all of this.

Thanks,

Mike

My opinion would be to do the apprenticeship full time and instruct part time. Unless you've got an "in" as far as a flying job is concerned, it'll probably be a while before you can move from instructing to flying something else. The apprenticeship pays some nice money, so you can add to your hours from that money as well. Just my opinion, but it sounds like you've got two great opportunities and the option to take them both.

P.S.- Congrats on getting your private!

Do you have a 4 year degree under your belt, that is even more important then the flying! Without that you are really limiting yourself.

If all of that is taken care of, I would instruct. The sooner you have more time the quicker you can move up, and althought the money will not be as good in the begining, it will catch up and overtake!

This should be a no brainer! Take the electrcian route!!! You'll be learning a great trade that you can use to support yourself when(not if) you get furloughed or otherwise find yourself out of work in the aviation industry. 3 years isn't that long - in today's job market it's not going to set your career back significantly. Take the electrician gig, instruct part time, if when your 3 year program is over you still want to fly airplanes for living instruct full time and do the electrician thing part time to support yourself - it sucks making $12-$16K a year as a full time CFI.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a 4 year degree under your belt, that is even more important then the flying! Without that you are really limiting yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4 year degree will be done part time doing correspondence courses.

[ QUOTE ]
Take the electrician gig, instruct part time, if when your 3 year program is over you still want to fly airplanes for living instruct full time and do the electrician thing part time to support yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

That's solid advice man...consider it.

Surf

I guess I will say that I already had my mind made up, I just can't imagine not flying full time if the opportunity presents itself, however, looking at it logically I will be taking the electrician gig when it comes and instruct part time for 3 years.

After that it's gung hoe fly boy for me and where ever that lands me it lands me.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone.

Back