December 29 Basic and housing approval

teetee

I was wondering if there are any others on here that are headed to basic on December 29th? Have you recieved the paper work on how to have your housing and travel approved? Have you had your housing approved and travel plans made and approved? While my husband has his FOL and all that, we haven't received anything on how to get housing approved and travel plans approved. I know we have to have it all done but I am starting to wondering how the HECK we are supposed to do that!

I was wondering if there are any others on here that are headed to basic on December 29th? Have you recieved the paper work on how to have your housing and travel approved? Have you had your housing approved and travel plans made and approved? While my husband has his FOL and all that, we haven't received anything on how to get housing approved and travel plans approved. I know we have to have it all done but I am starting to wondering how the HECK we are supposed to do that!
What do you mean by approved? I don't think you need specific approval on things as long as you follow the guidelines. For example, if you plan on flying down then you have to get your ticket through Amex. Otherwise if you are driving, just drive. They don't really care how you get there. Maybe save your fuel receipts, I don't know if they need those (anyone care to chime in?). They'll reimburse you for your travel up to the price of the airline ticket.

As far as lodging, you can stay wherever you want. The FAA "approved" housing is cheapest unless you share an apartment with someone. You just have to get a receipt from wherever you stay to get full per-diem.

And that's about it.

There is enough info on the FAA's website...

Nathan's post was spot on, if you are flying you have to go through Amex to book the ticket. If you are driving your supposed to record mileage on your fuel receipts... but when I got here they don't need any receipts if you drove. They just asked if you flew or drove, and where you were from. From there after 15 days you goto the travel office and they will sit down with you and reimburse you for travel, and your first 15 days of per diem.

Note: This is the FAA, I would keep any and all receipts and follow all directions once you do receive your travel packet.

Note 2: If you are flying and need details, I have the paperwork with me in OKC and I can send you the paper explaining what you need to do. This goes for anyone else who needs this info. PM me.

There is enough info on the FAA's website...

Yeah there is and it is all so confusing:crazy: Actually I have read through all that information several times and talked with people in OKC. I have been told to ignore the website because it is out-dated...just to be told by another person the website was correct and just follow information provided there :banghead: Basically, I am trying to get the information I have received sorted into what is correct and what is not.

We have an apartment (unfurnished, 3 month lease) that we have gotten on the North side of town (better area). I was told by one person in OKC I couldn't do that and still get the per diem because they don't take CC. I was told that I would need to cancel that place and get another. I then called back later to get more information and I was told that the information I was given was wrong. I would just have to have special clearance for my apartment. If I did then I would be okay and we would get the full per diem amount. The NEXT person I spoke with told me that as long as I had a contract and was willing to wait the 15 days to file the claim and the other 10-15 to receive the money, I would be okay no special permission was needed. Now which person do I believe? :confused:

As for the driving, when I talked with the travel department, they said they assign a set amount of what it should have cost you to drive to OKC. They will reimburse you that amount whether it was less or more than what it costs you to drive there...the only for sure thing is it WILL be less than or equal to the cost of the airline ticket. She told me receipts are not needed because it doesn't matter what we figure, it is their figures that matter. I am still keeping my receipts though!

So now that I have a book of a post...my question is: Do I need to be worried that we haven't received our Travel Packet and we leave in less than 3 weeks? Which person from OKC should I believe on my apartment? I would HATE to loose our deposit but hate it even more if we didn't follow rules and didn't get per diem.

So now that I have a book of a post...my question is: Do I need to be worried that we haven't received our Travel Packet and we leave in less than 3 weeks? Which person from OKC should I believe on my apartment? I would HATE to loose our deposit but hate it even more if we didn't follow rules and didn't get per diem.

Everyone in my class received their packets 3-5 days prior to class starting... don't worry at all it is what it is. Wherever you are staying as long as it is not a friend of the family or family you will get your per diem.... they have to provide receipts with specific information.

This info is no more than 2 weeks old and straight from the travel department.
"Proof of Lodging.... The receipt must include landlord name, phone number/address and the address of the rental property. The receipt must identify the traveler, the service provided/lodging, dates the lodging was occupied and method of payment."

"Lease Agreements.... Lease agreements must include the landlords name, phone number/address, and the address of the leased property. The agreement must identify the traveler, the service provided/lodging, dates of the lease agreement, method of payment agreed upon."

Well...if the travel packet arrives 3-5 days before, I guess we will get it in OKC after it is forwarded ;)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Back