Dear Diary "The day the nuke was dropped"

PlayaSteelo

To all,

What you are about to read may offend some and may enlighten others. Please note that this is simply my experience and results vary for each individual. I am in no way trying to encourage nor discourage anyone from attending Accessible Aviation. This is simply my personal experience. I only think it is right that I share my experience as many JCer’s have done in the past.

Some may ask, why after 3.5 months of leaving Accessible Aviation are you now writing your experience? Simple, I did not realize until now, how much of a negative impact this experience would actually have on my life. Further details will be discussed in the conclusion.

Wooo Saaaah! Bare with me as I write this, I am opening old wounds, which have yet to heal and still anger me. But my psychiatrist says this is part of the healing process. :sarcasm:

So what’s all the fuss about?
Lets start from the beginning. I contacted Carl Nuzzo (Manager) around December of 2007 and I requested more information about the Instrument – Commercial courses being offered. I also described exactly what I was looking for and emphasized on the extreme importance of receiving high quality ground school. I was assured that all my demands would be met for a reasonable price.

As recommend by many JCers, I visited the school and brought a list of questions to ask. I met Carl and began the tour of the facility and later sat down for a detailed discussion. I’ll admit, he was the nicest flight school manager I had ever met and to say the least I was impressed! He told me exactly what I wanted to hear. The school has two hangars, a classroom and the office. They were the only flight school on the field at KGTR and the airport had very low activity. Which meant no long waiting times for departures, and more actual flying time. The airspace was not congested and seemed perfect for flight training. Most importantly Carl described how in-depth the ground school and flight training would be, and how it was structured very similar to the USAF. If there’s anything Carl is good at, it’s being a salesman. That same day Carl drew up a contract outlining everything we had discussed and we both singed it. My last question was when could I start? Carl’s response “late January early February 2008”.

When I got back home I was excited, determined and nervous all at the same time. I began studying full-time to prepare myself in advance. I even quit my job figuring I had enough money saved up and would be able to use the time to better prepare myself (big mistake). As time went on, I kept in contact with Carl and did what was necessary to complete the Sallie Mae loan process as quickly as possible. In mid February I asked Carl if he had any updates on my expected start date and he responded “It looks like we can start training you in mid-March or so. We are finishing up one student in a couple of weeks.” (actual response from email). I said wow at least he is honest and truly does limit the amount of students. So I continued to study and wait patiently. In late March I finally received an email stating that I could begin my training. At this point I was a tad bit worried about the future of my financial state since I had only planned to be unemployed for a maximum of 6 months. 1 month of prep studying (writtens), 3-4 months for Instrument and Commercial training and 1 month for the CFI. I thought ok so I was a little late to start the program. No worries, I’m a champ; I can finish in 3 months with my hard work and dedication.

So I made the move, Mississippi here I come! I’ll admit the apartment was nice. It’s right across from MSU and was designed for the average college student with a study desk in each room. I finally got setup and tried to sleep knowing that I had a big day ahead of me. The first day I arrived at the school 30 minutes early and awaited the arrival of Carl who was currently flying with an ATP student. Now the moment of truth, I see him walk in the office with a student and I patiently continue to wait. He sees me and says “hey” (1st sign, not exactly the best greeting after I just gave him a s**t load of money). I thought ok he is just really busy and dedicated so I’ll just wait until he finishes. An hour goes by and he says, “Welcome let me get your study material” (ahh much better). He shows up with a Jeppesen 141 Inst/Comm kit. He then sees my old Jeepesen Private Pilot bag and says, “Oh since you already have the bag here’s the Jeppesen Inst/Comm book”. I said all right but what about the syllabus, knowledge test, PTS, foggles, etc. and he replied, “we’ll hold on to that since students have a tendency of losing things” (2nd sign). “Now go to the classroom and read chapters 1-3 (80 pages) and we’ll do ground later today”. I was like damn this is a fast course, when they say three months they ain’t playing!! After 6 hours of reading I decided to walk back to the office to use the restroom. I see him talking with the ATP student and he tells me “you know I think it’s best if you go to the apartment and continue reading we’ll meet up tomorrow”. I thought, hmm strange but ok you’re the boss (3rd sign). From their on it was all down hill!! :banghead:

Now the remainder of this post will simply be a brief summary of my experience.

Scheduling:
When I first arrived Carl had a brilliant plan of dual enrolling me in both the part 141 Instrument and Commercial training. So my first couple of hours was solo cross-countries and I progressed pretty fast (I thought to myself, I’m doing it I’m really doing it!). Once I completed most of my single engine cross-countries it was time for the multi engine private add-on (woo hoo!), which meant every flight, had to be dual. This is where my training came to a stand still (booo!). There were 4 full-time students but only one Seneca was certified for 141 training. To add insult to injury there were only 2 MEIs including Carl, and both worked at the Air-Force base full-time. After several weeks of not flying I quickly realized Accessible Aviation was not Carl’s main focus but instead a part time job for extra income. Scheduling was nearly impossible to say the least.

Now apart from all that, there were quite a few ATP and ALPS (International Air Force/UPT) students who seemed to get preferential treatment, but come on who am I to disagree, ATP student pays $2,500 and I pay only $35,000. I mean it’s obvious who deserves the best treatment. :sarcasm:

Up until late June, Callador did not have his MEI so there was not much flying going on. After he got it things picked up a bit until we got some more full-time students, ATPs and ALPS students. Once again, my flight training came to a screeching halt. There were times when I would not fly for 3 weeks straight. Not including every Sunday, U.S. Holiday or the nice 2-week vacation Carl and his family took to France while I just sat in the apartment waiting for him to reopen the flight school.

Bottom line, flying was very sporadic and inconsistent, not to mention that one day I would be preparing for the instrument rating and the next day working on cross countries for the commercial. Sometimes even combined. The syllabus called for 1.5 of local practice ILS or Localizer training but instead we end up flying about 2.2 of cross-country and squeeze in about 2 approaches the entire flight. But again who am I to complain.

Instructors:
That’s a good question. I only met 3 instructors throughout my stay. 1 full-time (Callador) and 2 part-time including Carl. As for the other instructors, I never once saw them. Could this be part of the reason why scheduling flight time was nearly impossible?

Carl (Part-Time flight/ground instructor, chief pilot, and manager): I never really understood what he was talking about. One sentence would consist of three different subjects. Which was quite entertaining especially when he taught a 5-minute ground school session and would say “Glad you understand, I have to go to work so I’ll see you later” :panic:. I also used to think he had multiple personalities for example, when I first visited the school he was really nice. When I actually started training, and he received the funds he would not give me the time of day. From one day to the next his attitude would really fluctuate. He also had a way of trying to belittle students and had very little respect for others. Strangely enough, he liked to punish me (as if I was in grade school) every time I expressed my unhappiness after continuously waiting patiently I would be put on the “black list” or just banned from flying altogether. The most recent example I can recall is when I was going to take my Instrument written in August (yes I know April to August, wow that’s a long time for an Instrument rating). As I previously mentioned the flying was very sporadic and before my Instrument written test I had flown about 10 hours (you guessed it, comm. cross country) in 2 days and I requested about 1 extra day to study. LOL, that really sent Carl into a rage! He banned me from flying for 2 weeks (August 5 – August 19 to be exact) :mad:!! He wouldn’t even respond to my phone calls, text messages, or emails. But I’m pretty sure it was for my own good. Or in his words “You see this is why students can’t finish, they want 90 days but they are never prepared”.
Little note: he thinks everyone’s headset is garbage and demands that students use only one headset which belongs to the school and smells like s**t. Try dealing with that for a 4 hour flight.

B*****n (Part-Time): Decent instructor as long as I did my part. Sometimes I felt a little intimidated to ask questions and few times it seemed as if he wouldn’t go the extra mile. But I couldn’t really blame him, after all he just finished working a long day at the AFB. Little note: he loves that cross-country time.

Callador AKA Tiny AKA Lazarito AKA El Tigre (Full-Time) The best IMO. This guy can teach a monkey how to fly. It’s in his blood and he is a true aviator! He goes above and beyond even when he was not getting paid. He also had a certain way of breaking down everything into steps so I could better understand what the heck I was doing.
Little note: He really likes the number fifty-five! :buck:

Ground School:
I’m afraid I am unfamiliar with that term. Once again what ground school? In the many emails I wrote to Carl, in the contract, which he created, and we both signed, and being that it was part 141 training, I would have never questioned the fact that I should receive 105 hours of ground school.
Ok I did receive ground school but according to my calculations it was a total of 7 hours ground school for the entire program. Out of that 7 probably about 4 hours were good instruction with “Callador” and that was out of his own personal time because as Carl told me “I don’t have money to pay instructors for ground school”. The remaining 98 hours of ground school, which is required as per 141, I guess would be the Jepessen videos located in the classroom. I sure feel confident after watching those videos! :sarcasm:

Flight Instruction:
Was awkward at times, but was great if Callador was sitting right seat.

Funny thing was, for my multi private add-on Carl had me doing long cross-countries 17 hours to be exact. Mind you those are not PIC and some do not count for the Commercial long cross-country time. Which at the end of the course came back to haunt me as I almost didn’t have enough cross country PIC time for the commercial multi check ride. So when I told Carl that I would not do anymore cross countries until I received my private multi add-on, he said alright and gave me exactly 0.6 of actual pattern work and flight maneuvers then put me on the check ride. I guess I pissed him off again. Why do I always seem to piss him off :confused:?

Maintenance:
3 stars.
Every time a plane broke down we would have to fly to Georgia or Florida just to pick up a mechanic at the expense of the students flight time. Don’t even get me started on the mock charter operations.

Overall the planes were ok and would do the job for the most part.

Advertisement:
This is where I take quotes http://www.accessibleaviaton.com (from 2008) and see which statements were accurate or in this case misleading.

“Small class sizes, maximum flying, minimum waiting!”
Half and Half.
Small class sizes: true because there was never any ground school going on.
Maximum Flying: false my log book shows the following:
First flight with Accessible: 4/9/08
Private Multi add-on check ride: 6/1/08
Instrument check ride: 8/27/08
Commercial Multi check ride: 11/14/08
Commercial Single add-on check ride: 11/21/08
Minimum waiting: False There’s days when I was scheduled for a 9:00 am flight and would have to wait till 6:00pm for Carl to get off work. Or better yet, the good ole “oh I meant to call, we’re going to have to cancel”. That gets annoying after driving 15 miles each way and occurs on numerous occasions.

AVERAGE 4 HOURS OF TRAINING TIME PER DAY!
False, unless that was suppose to indicate self-study.

Training Packages price breakdown
Ground Hours
Instrument 35
Commercial 70
False, as stated previously in the ground school experience.

INSTRUMENT AND COMMERCIAL RATINGS IN 90 DAYS!
Best for last :D!
Extremely False, I completed the program in 8 months. But if I know Carl he is still blaming it on the Indian students from 2007. Poor man, he is traumatized.

It appears as if I was misled through deceptive advertising, a verbal agreement and heck even a written contract.

In conclusion, I have not spoken with anyone from Accessible Aviation since I left, therefore I do not know the current state of the training quality. I seriously hope they have changed for the better. Accessible definitely has the potential to be a top-notch school, but unfortunately I will never be able to vouch for them.

Now what are you so mad about? Well after 3.5 months of leaving the school I have finally seen the detriment of my choice to attend Accessible Aviation. As stated previously, I planned financially for a maximum of 6 months of unemployment not 12 months, and that’s being nice cause I am not including the fact that I have yet been to obtain my CFI due to current financial issues.

Apart from financial troubles I gave up three semesters of school (not including Jan-June 08) to attend Accessible Aviation.

So why didn’t you just leave?
Sure I could have left. But would have Carl given me a pro-rated refund, nope (even though I asked about the refund policy during the initial meeting). So I faced the choice of either hanging in there to try and get it finished or leave and take him to court for a very time consuming lawsuit.

I am a strong believer in forgetting about the past and just moving forward. But it’s really hard when the past is still having such a negative impact on the present. One thing I do know, is that this experience has made me extremely motivated to be the best damn flight instructor I can possibly be. I will always remember how I started my aviation career, and will do my best to treat each student with the dignity and respect they deserve. Who knows maybe one day I’ll even own a flight school at KGTR. ;)

As previously mentioned what you’ve just read may offend some and may enlighten others. Please note that this is simply my experience and results vary for each individual. I am in no way trying to encourage nor discourage anyone from attending Accessible Aviation. This is simply my personal experience.

Now that I am closing this chapter of my life it is time for me to get back and focus on my upcoming CFI certificate and if you actually read all this it’s time you find a life :sarcasm:.

Fly safe!!

Thanks for the write-up.

I think it's pretty important for students to provide a detailed experience of their training with the various training establishments out there right now.

Hopefully those looking at this school will use this as a great starting point for their own research.

Good luck to you

You could always share your story with the local Flight Standards Office ... schools shouldn't remain 141 if they can't keep up with certain standards.

You could always share your story with the local Flight Standards Office ... schools shouldn't remain 141 if they can't keep up with certain standards.
I really thought about doing just that, but I also thought it would come back to haunt me or the previous grads. Could they revoke any certificates or ratings during that time period if negligence was found?

Thanks for all the support my fellow JCers!

I really thought about doing just that, but I also thought it would come back to haunt me or the previous grads. Could they revoke any certificates or ratings during that time period if negligence was found?

Thanks for all the support my fellow JCers!

No, they can't revoke your certificate. The worst they could do is make you re-check, which would be highly unlikely.

Michael

That might be tough... I really don't think you can find neglegence from the FDSO point of view. Accessible does follow the 141 syllabus. Even the total amount of ground includes the self-study video time. I am sure he can put in a complaint, but I doubt his license would get suspended or anything like that. Nothing done here was "illegal" or against the 141 program.

Now I am not saying that there is not a problem. Playasteelo brings up some good points. If he was promised the extra ground, he should have got it. And when he first arrived, as he mentioned, the ratio of MEI to students was low... also the ratio of Twins to students was lower, but I don't think that was the limiting factor. It really was the MEI to student ratio. I didn't get my MEI until July, and even then there were still a lot of students to get through. Things did pick up after that though.

Well, I don't want to get too involved with this on the forums. I will be sure to give you a call Playasteelo to see how you are doing. Or if you get bored, you can call me too. If you need anything, let me know.

Callador

That might be tough... I really don't think you can find negligence from the FDSO point of view. Accessible does follow the 141 syllabus. Even the total amount of ground includes the self-study video time. I am sure he can put in a complaint, but I doubt his license would get suspended or anything like that. Nothing done here was "illegal" or against the 141 program.

Now I am not saying that there is not a problem. Playasteelo brings up some good points. If he was promised the extra ground, he should have got it. And when he first arrived, as he mentioned, the ratio of MEI to students was low... also the ratio of Twins to students was lower, but I don't think that was the limiting factor. It really was the MEI to student ratio. I didn't get my MEI until July, and even then there were still a lot of students to get through. Things did pick up after that though.

Well, I don't want to get too involved with this on the forums. I will be sure to give you a call Playasteelo to see how you are doing. Or if you get bored, you can call me too. If you need anything, let me know.

Callador

Ladies and gentlemen, It is the one and only Callador :nana2:! Whats up buddy, I've always liked you cause you have a really good spirit and you look at both sides. Your in the wrong business, you should be a judge, you'll give judge Judy a run for her money. But seriously if it was'nt for you I would have left back in July when my 90 days were up.

Anyways, I really dont want to get Callador too involved with this little diary session but I will say that there is a reason why 141 was created and that was to ensure proper ground and flight training, both of which were not done in accordance, although mainly ground-school. I don't doubt that watching videos is part of a 141 structured ground-school, but when the videos are simply the only form of ground-school then yes that is one form of part 141 negligence. For that I could of simply done a part 61 course with any one of the other sponsors and got the results that I paid for. Could of, would of, should of, but I cant turn back the hands of time.

As for the legality issues, I only quoted what my attorney has outlined ;).

It's all good, I really hope Callador, you did not take this offensively. You know me, if I have a problem I go straight to the source and I did many many many times but got no results except for punishment :crazy:. in this case, I only felt that it was right to get this off my chest and do what many other JCers have done in the past, share their experience. I think it is completely selfish to ask for the advice and experiences of many on this forum while not returning the favor.

bravo~~~
when carol is double dip on the mach charter flight/ student instruction. this is totally illegal!!!!!

Wow Callador seems to be the only one even remotely caring about this.
Hats off!

Playa:
I contemplated to write up my Commercial, Instrument & CFI story that ended in financial (and personal) disaster based on promises by owners of a flight school. I went through a large part of what your experienced in Florida in 2008 but fortunately had a network of people looking out for me and helping me find solutions through the mud. Some of these people went on to become really good friends to me.

I contacted Accesible Aviation a few months ago, together with a few other schools (as always initially per email and online information request form) which after 10+ years in the sales & marketing business has become my standard evaluator of business practices in any flight school.
After reading your text, I am almost glad I never got a response.

Please feel free to keep in touch per PM with your search for your CFI ticket. I'm sure we'll get you squared away with better experiences to tell about, in the future. Whatever happened to you (financially & with your plans and goals) has set you back tremendously (it did the same to me) but it also taught you a very important lesson.

Cheers,

Good Job Playa,

I have heard nothing but negative comments about Accessible Aviation from many others. Callador seems to be neutral, which is good, but seems so much better than to be flying for that training school. The whole school seems like a scam.

I'd like to Address some Issues

Chris,

I would like to start off by saying I truly regret any negative experiences you had at Accessible Aviation. I thought we addressed the issues as they came up and I tried to accomodate you and the other students.

Regarding the initial class dates, I needed to finish up some students and I did not realize you had quit your job to start early. I seem to remember you saying you were flexible on the dates. I plan on the first day or two the student arrives to be non-school days to allow the student to settle in and to allow for any last minute changes in the students travel schedule. Remember when you planned a trip to visit the school but had to delay for a couple of weeks. For whatever reason, most students do not arrive on their planned date and I try to accomodate them as much as possible. Regarding our initial meeting, when I am “with a student”, I am “with a student” and committed to that student. When I finished with him, I addressed you. If you were the other student, you would appreciate that.

Most of the other school policies may have been a “fix” to previous problems. For example, we keep the syllabus in your grade book in the main office where you have total access to it. The reason for that is you must do all your studying at the school and we keep it there for your reference during lessons. We keep the Stage Tests as I don't know of a University that gives the class exams to the students at the beginning of the course. After all, it is a TEST. We want the resources to be available to you at the school.

Groundschool. The Jeppessen syllabus is quite specific that the lesson time includes introduction, Video instruction, discussion with the instructor/oral quizing, chapter test, and review of the test. It is not entirely platform instruction. I felt during the lessons I did with you that you were probably the best prepared and motivated student I have had. When we went over the lesson, you seemed to have absorbed the lesson, so the time I spent with you was more of a review than instruction. That reflects credit on you. I am sure you received more than the groundschool hours and pre/post flight than you reflected in your comments. I do pay my instructors for groundschool. However, we provide a structured groundschool, per the syllabus. I know I spent extra time with you covering lessons.

The headsets: that was your option. Many times student headsets cause problems for whatever reason. If you didn't want to use our noise canceling headsets (we provided alcohol pads), you could have told us.

Length of training: 7 months actual vs 4 posted. I explained the 90 days for the Commercial plus 30 for the Instrument (4 months total) was the goal and sometimes we go over. Yes, there were other students and I DEEPLY REGRET that when someone had to slip in the schedule, it seemed to be Chris. However, he indicated to me he did not have the time constraints of the other students. For example, another student had some family issues and we had to adjust the schedule for him. Another student had some real flying issues and we had to devote more time to him at Chris's expense. Chris seemed to agree with that at the time.
HOWEVER, a major reason for the delay was Chris's incredible resistance to taking the written tests when scheduled. For example, I told him he had 10 days to take the Instrument Written test so we could schedule him for the checkkride. At the end of the 10 days when he had not taken the test, I told him he could not fly nor could we schedule the Flight Check until he took the written test. At one point he wanted to take the written test the day of the checkride. That is not acceptable and led to at least a two week delay because I could not schedule the checkride until he passed the written test. Then there was a delay waiting for the examiner. This was repeated on the Commercial written test. This added at least 30 days to the training time. At some point, there isn't much training left but for the written test and the checkride. Plus, Chris wanted to go home for a while, and I believe he did that while the school was on vacation. I have learned that at some point the only way to get a student to take the written test is to put him on a flying hold. What seems like a one day delay for a single student, can cause a ripple effect due to factors that student does not understand, like student load, examiner availability etc. At some periods it did not seem like Chris was in a hurry to complete his training.

We explained up front that the Instrument and Commercial training is scheduled at night for Instructor availability and to maximize student training. We emphasize cross country experience and training, not flagpole missions.

I do recognize that there is always room for improvement and I learn from the experiences of each student. I feel I am making a better job of explaining what is expected of the student and the instructors at each point in training. This cuts both ways but it has really helped to improve the school atmosphere. We have reduced student load and made other scheduling enhancements. I have had to penalize students who "no-show" at short notice (on repeated offenses) so they do not impact the good students like Chris. My mistake was trying to accomodiate everyone, sometime at the expense of the strong students. Lesson learned.

Brandon is retiring from the USAF in June so we will have 2 full time MEI's plus myself. Although to be honest, I still spend 4-8 hours at the school most days and I don't really think lack of instructors really impacted training flow.

Once again Chris, I regret any negative experiences and wish we could have worked them out while you were here.

Re: I'd like to Address some Issues

Hi Carl,

It’s good to see you back on the forums. I’m glad that you took out the time to respond to my little diary session. Hopefully you’ll respond to more than just my post.

This will be my last post regarding this matter, so feel free to reply however you deem necessary.

I would like to start off by saying I truly regret any negative experiences you had at Accessible Aviation. I thought we addressed the issues as they came up and I tried to accomodate you and the other students.
Yes you did address some of the issues but mostly by trying to "sugar coat" them rather than resolve the issues. You were very good at saying what people wanted to hear, but that can only be done for so long.

Regarding the initial class dates, I needed to finish up some students and I did not realize you had quit your job to start early. I seem to remember you saying you were flexible on the dates. I plan on the first day or two the student arrives to be non-school days to allow the student to settle in and to allow for any last minute changes in the students travel schedule. Remember when you planned a trip to visit the school but had to delay for a couple of weeks. For whatever reason, most students do not arrive on their planned date and I try to accomodate them as much as possible.
As posted earlier I actually commended you for being up front and trying to finish any previous students. When you sent me an email stating my training would begin in March rather than February, I really did not feel the need to create uproar. Nor did I initially feel the need to advise you that I had quit my job, school, and had put my life on hold for at least 3-4 months. I thought you could have figured at least one of those three would occur, after all I did move from Florida to Mississippi. ;)

Ah yes, another pitiful moment on my part. I clearly ignored the signs that maybe this wasn’t for me. My trip was cancelled twice by Delta due to snow and icing in ATL. Lord knows how hectic it can get when it rains let alone snows. :panic:

Now when it came down to the actual arrival date, I was supposed to arrive on Saturday April 5th, 2008 and I arrived on Sunday April 6, 2008. I did not realize this would cause you to make adjustments, I mean “accommodations”.

Regarding our initial meeting, when I am “with a student”, I am “with a student” and committed to that student. When I finished with him, I addressed you. If you were the other student, you would appreciate that.
I believe this statement should be revised to say: when I am “with an ATP student”, I am “with an ATP student”. Once again I commended you in my original post when I said you were dedicated with a student who just happened to be an ATP student. I was simply pointing out how I stood around for 1 hour, then you finally acknowledged me and handed me the training supplies which were incomplete. Which reminds me, did you ever order my IFR foggles? I sure could use them for my CFII :buck:

I know you think I’m loco, but when someone gives you $35,000 try to spend a little more than just 15 minutes with them on their first day. It really goes a long way.

Most of the other school policies may have been a “fix” to previous problems. For example, we keep the syllabus in your grade book in the main office where you have total access to it. The reason for that is you must do all your studying at the school and we keep it there for your reference during lessons. We keep the Stage Tests as I don't know of a University that gives the class exams to the students at the beginning of the course. After all, it is a TEST. We want the resources to be available to you at the school.
That might have worked if there was actually a need for the student to drive 15 miles each way, and actually receive some sort of instruction other than watching a video or reading, both of which can be done at the student’s apartment.

Not sure if you recall the gas crisis in which gas was over $4.00 / gallon at that time. It really wasn’t enticing to make me drive 30 miles roundtrip just to read a book and watch a video. Now if I was flying that day, then it was worth it. It’s all good; I ended up purchasing a used syllabus to avoid any possible repercussions of “stolen property”.

Not really sure why you mention the whole stage test and university jive. :crazy:

Groundschool. The Jeppessen syllabus is quite specific that the lesson time includes introduction, Video instruction, discussion with the instructor/oral quizing, chapter test, and review of the test. It is not entirely platform instruction. I felt during the lessons I did with you that you were probably the best prepared and motivated student I have had. When we went over the lesson, you seemed to have absorbed the lesson, so the time I spent with you was more of a review than instruction. That reflects credit on you. I am sure you received more than the groundschool hours and pre/post flight than you reflected in your comments. I do pay my instructors for groundschool. However, we provide a structured groundschool, per the syllabus. I know I spent extra time with you covering lessons.
Thank you for the kind words, even if that was part of the “sugar coating” process. In my opinion, 20 minutes of video and having an instructor spend 5 minutes grading each chapter does not suffice quality ground training.

The headsets: that was your option. Many times student headsets cause problems for whatever reason. If you didn't want to use our noise canceling headsets (we provided alcohol pads), you could have told us.
I believe I did express my opinion against using a headset, which was to be worn by multiple students, and had a really foul odor. I’m sorry but the alcohol pads just didn’t cut it. As for having an option you’re right, either I wore the school's headset or I didn’t fly. :mad:

Length of training: 7 months actual vs 4 posted. I explained the 90 days for the Commercial plus 30 for the Instrument (4 months total) was the goal and sometimes we go over.
If you really want to get technical it was 4/6/08 - 11/23/08 which is 33 weeks (231 days), just a tad bit over 90 days or even 120 for that matter. By the way I see you updated your “Training Packages” page to reflect a minimum of 120 days for Instrument/Commercial but you kind of forgot to update this page http://accessibleaviation.com/instrument.htm which still says INSTRUMENT AND COMMERCIAL RATINGS IN 90 DAYS! . Tighten up G :bandit:

Yes, there were other students and I DEEPLY REGRET that when someone had to slip in the schedule, it seemed to be Chris. However, he indicated to me he did not have the time constraints of the other students. For example, another student had some family issues and we had to adjust the schedule for him. Another student had some real flying issues and we had to devote more time to him at Chris's expense. Chris seemed to agree with that at the time.
I could have sworn I expressed my “time constraints”? Oh yeah here it is:

Hi Carl,

I'm writing in regards to my progress in the 90 day course. I began this course on April 6, 2008 and since then have accomplished 13 flights of which 8 were solo and 5 were dual. At this point I have begun the Multi engine phase of the course. Unfortunately the progress has been slow and I am beginning to have concerns.

The reason I chose this program was mainly due to the contracted goal time of 90 days. I do realize 90 days may be strenuous and must be cushioned somewhat due to unexpected issues such as weather or mechanics, so I planned for an additional 30 days before I may proceed with additional commitments including re-paying Sallie Mae approximately $600 per month effective June 1, 2008. At this rate I feel as if it is improbable that I will complete the Instrument and Commercial program within the remaining 10 weeks due to the fact the majority of my training will be in the PA-34 along with three other full-time students who are training in this aircraft.

Going forward I would like to make a proposal which may assist in expediting the progression of the program.

I would like to request a revision in the terms of the contract and complete my Instrument rating (35 hrs) in the Cessna 172 with CFII Lester rather than the Piper Seneca. This will allow me to complete the Instrument rating in a timely manner while allowing the other students to complete their multi engine training. Once I have finished my Instrument rating in the C172 I will then proceed with completing the remainder of my training in the PA-34.

Please advise your thoughts and how we shall proceed.

Best Regards,
Chris *****

-----Original Message-----
To: chris******1@aol.com
Sent: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:55 am
Subject: Re: Training Progress

Chris,

I share your concerns. Here is what is happenning. We will finish Br***n up this week, or early the next. B***n is mostly done with the Seneca time. Also, Brandon has had limited availibility due to some other issues at the air base. Basically, he and I will be taking days off during the week to get you guys finished. Let's stick with the plan and keep pressing ahead. It is actually easier to get more time faster in the Seneca than the C-172. I'll also be putting together a hard schedule for training in the Seneca so you can see what is expected and how you will get there. Today is a wash for the weather but tomorrow we will get you flying in the Seneca on the Instrument training.

Carl

chris*****1@aol.com wrote:

-----Original Message-----
To: carl@accessibleaviation.com
Sent: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 2:57 pm
Subject: Re: Training Progress

Hi Carl,

I hope you and your family are enjoying your vacation in France.

As previously discussed I have concerns regarding the progress of my training. Although it has been 6 weeks from the email below, B***n has just finished and B*****n still needs approximately 30 hrs to complete his training.

Honestly I'm not writing to point out negatives but instead suggest a positive solution.

Once normal operations resume at Accessible I would like to recommend the following:

1. As you promised, Lester should receive the MEI rating to incorporate full day operations of the Piper Senecas. This will allow maximum use for current students and increase the student progression.

2. In order for me to complete the program (96.3 flight hours + ground school) within the contracted time frame (approximately 31 days remaining) I will need to fly approximately 5 hrs a day 5 days a week which allows 11 days for unexpected occurrences. With Lester as an MEI I would be able to fly approximately 3 hrs in the morning and 2 hours with either you or Brandon depending your work schedules.

If these recommendations can not be met within a reasonable time frame I will be unable to continue training at Accessible Aviation due to prior commitments which include enrollment in college for the fall semester in August, as well as the repayment phase of my Sallie Mae loan.

Please advise.

Best Regards,
Chris *****

That looks pretty clear to me. :yup:

HOWEVER, a major reason for the delay was Chris's incredible resistance to taking the written tests when scheduled. For example, I told him he had 10 days to take the Instrument Written test so we could schedule him for the checkkride. At the end of the 10 days when he had not taken the test, I told him he could not fly nor could we schedule the Flight Check until he took the written test. At one point he wanted to take the written test the day of the checkride. That is not acceptable and led to at least a two week delay because I could not schedule the checkride until he passed the written test. Then there was a delay waiting for the examiner. This was repeated on the Commercial written test. This added at least 30 days to the training time. At some point, there isn't much training left but for the written test and the checkride. [/LEFT]
Ummm I can only recall one time when I was punished for not taking the commercial written test when you demanded. As previously stated, I was getting some really good flight hours prior to the test and simply requested 1 extra day to refresh my memory. I know, I know, it’s always the students who are never prepared. But seriously, 30 days extra because I didn’t want to take writtens? Are you freakin kidding me?

Plus, Chris wanted to go home for a while, and I believe he did that while the school was on vacation. I have learned that at some point the only way to get a student to take the written test is to put him on a flying hold. What seems like a one day delay for a single student, can cause a ripple effect due to factors that student does not understand, like student load, examiner availability etc. At some periods it did not seem like Chris was in a hurry to complete his training.[/LEFT]
You caught me! I left this out because I felt it was irrelevant. During my stay, I did return to Miami once, but unfortunately it was a court order. I departed GTR on Friday 5/16 and returned on Tuesday 5/20. The "school" was on vacation in June. Also, I thought you said this would give you a chance to finish B***n and catch up with the other students, guess that was just more "sugar coating"! Azucar!!!

Hey, I’m on to you, with your inconsistencies in subjects, you go from writtens to vacation back to writtens. Kind of reminds me of “ground school”.

We explained up front that the Instrument and Commercial training is scheduled at night for Instructor availability and to maximize student training. We emphasize cross country experience and training, not flagpole missions.
Not really sure where your going with this statement. Flagpole?

I do recognize that there is always room for improvement and I learn from the experiences of each student. I feel I am making a better job of explaining what is expected of the student and the instructors at each point in training. This cuts both ways but it has really helped to improve the school atmosphere. We have reduced student load and made other scheduling enhancements. I have had to penalize students who "no-show" at short notice (on repeated offenses) so they do not impact the good students like Chris. My mistake was trying to accomodiate everyone, sometime at the expense of the strong students. Lesson learned.
Phewww, if anything I now feel satisfied being that a lesson was learned.

Brandon is retiring from the USAF in June so we will have 2 full time MEI's plus myself. Although to be honest, I still spend 4-8 hours at the school most days and I don't really think lack of instructors really impacted training flow.
Ohhh man, I was just thinking about sending you my resume, guess you wont need any more instructors huh? Seriously, at least that’s one good move, I’m sure he’ll be more enthusiastic once he dosen’t have to wake up at 5:00 am, work 8 hours, and teach some morons how to fly.:sarcasm:

Once again Chris, I regret any negative experiences and wish we could have worked them out while you were here.
Ahhh no need to be so regretful, what’s done is done. Only one last thing Lieutenant, I'm probably half your age with no current military experience, but I have quickly learned that when mistakes are made that best approach is to man up, face the consequences, and most impotently NEVER blame others for your actions. Show a little more respect to the students and staff, and don’t ever, ever take out your personal problems on others. You keep that in mind and who knows, maybe one day you might just be competitive.

I would love to continue this chat but I really have to get back to studying for my CFI written :D

P.S.
You could have saved yourself some of the embarrassment had you not written paragraphs 2-7.

P.S.S.
FTC coming soon :cool:

Re: I'd like to Address some Issues

the post created from chris were 100% correct
chris and I spent quit some time at coffee shop talk about this issue. while we were there.
such as refund for the money, time legs of the traing, and lock of MEI...etc
as far as i understand, a formal friend of ours actually has legal issue with the school.
because this school refuse to refund any money for the unuse portion.
my personally feel bad for any student with bad experience with this school ( including myself). so as the future reference, talk to people before you decide to go to a flight school. :banghead:

Back