"Dead Man's Switch" for aircraft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Awful accident, and partially down to the crew's failure to identify the cabin altitude warning as in different conditions it was the T/O Config warning (other factors include poor checklist discipline, the Captain's poor CRM and tech knowledge, and poor language skills amongst the crew). I believe the Boeing legal team didn't allow them to change it after the accident as it would be seen as an admission of fault in the litigation. The pressurisation system in the 737 is full of ways to accidentally asphyxiate yourself.

I can't speak for the Gulfstream but the EASy2 upgrade for the Falcon has an Automatic Descent Mode option (ADM). The airplanes I fly don't have it due to some other limitations but I do remember in ground school them talking about it. It will make a 90 degree left turn and begin a descent to 15,000.

Here is a link with all of the details.

This is why I keep the cabin altitude gauge a part of my scan when I'm at altitude or climbing to altitude.

This is why I keep the cabin altitude gauge a part of my scan when I'm at altitude or climbing to altitude.

It should be part of a regular operational check, just like the engines, fuel, and other basic core things you check every five or 10 minutes in flight.

Last edited:
If I recall from NJC several years back when we got to tour the MGM flight department, they mentioned their G4 or 5 (cant recall) would do just that. The AP would descend the a/c t a much lower distance and enter a holding pattern or sorts. I dont remember the exact details. Can @Stone Cold or other G- drivers respond?
I can only speak for the G450/550, but it has a similar thing to the Falcon mentioned above.

It is Emergency Descent Mode (EDM) and if above FL 400, with the autopilot engaged, it will activate the auto throttles if not engaged, bring power to idle, descend at MMO/VMO down to 15,000', and execute a left turn of 90 degrees. Hopefully, you wake up before you hit the Swiss Alps.

I can only speak for the G450/550, but it has a similar thing to the Falcon mentioned above.

It is Emergency Descent Mode (EDM) and if above FL 400, with the autopilot engaged, it will activate the auto throttles if not engaged, bring power to idle, descend at MMO/VMO down to 15,000', and execute a left turn of 90 degrees. Hopefully, you wake up before you hit the Swiss Alps.

Why does it turn left?

The X had EDM as well but it was particularly useless without auto throttles. I keep my eye on the cabin PSI gauge. I agree with @Hacker15e on it's importance. Although to be honest I'm not checking it as often as he recommends.

The rapid descent is more than enough clue. If I were forced to guess at gunpoint, the left turn would be a holdover from the old days of Navy prop aircraft. Superstructures were traditionally (but by no means exclusively) to starboard thanks in large part to P Factor.

Having had a "rapid D" in the airplane - the only thing you should EVER do if you get a cabin altitude light is get the freakin' mask on. It's freakin' scary how rapidly you feel it after your ears pop.
I've had a fairly slow and sedate one which was scary enough.

You could install an unmistakeable attention grabbing alarm or cabin altitude warning...

...or you could make it identical to the takeoff config horn (which can also sound in flight in certain circumstances). Well played, Boeing.

You mean something like a canary ?

Is the time/fuel saved by flying that high really worth the added risk? For relatively short legs, or when flying single pilot or non-professional crew, why not just fly at 12 or so and eliminate the risk?

We have different definitions of short. Upstate New York to southwest Florida isn't what I would call short.

Just for kicks...how many of you have been to an altitude chamber for formal hypoxia/decompression training?

Is the time/fuel saved by flying that high really worth the added risk? For relatively short legs, or when flying single pilot or non-professional crew, why not just fly at 12 or so and eliminate the risk?

Even in a King Air 350, you are looking at 1000 pph down low and 600 pph in the flight levels. It has an extremely annoying cabin altitude warning system, so that helps.

Back