DC-3s

BravoHotel

I passed by Acampo, CA where the infamous drop zone resides. I noticed the DC3 was no longer there. I wonder where she went.

I remember munching on my ramen with various toppings looking at her thinking about tales of E. GANN while taking a break from rigging parachutes.

0000035655.jpg

According to Reddit (never go on Reddit), they took the wings off and loaded it on trucks to Preferred Airparts in Apple Creek, OH in 2020, where it will be restored to flying condition.

Preferred Airparts is based at the private airfield, Stoltzfus Airfield (named after the family that owns the company). It looks like they have several turbine DC-3s there. A Stolzfus died in a DC-3 crash at the airport in January 2019 while flying for Priority Air Charter.

1686195363920.png

According to Reddit (never go on Reddit), they took the wings off and loaded it on trucks to Preferred Airparts in Apple Creek, OH in 2020, where it will be restored to flying condition.

Preferred Airparts is based at the private airfield, Stoltzfus Airfield (named after the family that owns the company). It looks like they have several turbine DC-3s there. A Stolzfus died in a DC-3 crash at the airport in January 2019 while flying for Priority Air Charter.

View attachment 72071
Huh. Interesting. Thanks for finding that. I usually avoid Reddit.

A Stolzfus died in a DC-3 crash at the airport in January 2019 while flying for Priority Air Charter

Interesting, and sad. I imagine the DC-3 probably wasn't built IAW current transport category certification criteria? As in, to my knowledge, there shouldn't be a part of the SE profile where one is ever below (or even very close to) Vmc, right? Or would this be more of a function of the engines installed, having not been part of the original certification? I'm not inigio, but I do presume a higher torque/higher power engine with same tail might create problems?

View attachment 72071

Preferred Airparts also includes a bag of peanuts with every order.

Interesting, and sad. I imagine the DC-3 probably wasn't built IAW current transport category certification criteria? As in, to my knowledge, there shouldn't be a part of the SE profile where one is ever below (or even very close to) Vmc, right? Or would this be more of a function of the engines installed, having not been part of the original certification? I'm not inigio, but I do presume a higher torque/higher power engine with same tail might create problems?

According to the FAA type certificate, (A-669), it refers to CAR.4a for certification basis requirements for certain models and serial numbers while at specific weights. Turning to CAR4a.674 which states: "Climb: The average rate of climb for the first minute after the airplane leaves the take-off surface in accordance with § 4a.673, and the rate of steady climb at sea level with not more than maximum except-take-off power, shall not be less in feet per minute than: (a) Land planes. Eight times the measured power-off stalling speed in miles per hour with the flaps and landing gear retracted, or 300 per minute, whichever is greater."

I didn't see anything mentioned about Vmc & climb, but I'll have some spare time later and will dig into this a little deeper.

Last edited:
...I'm not inigio, but I do presume a higher torque/higher power engine with same tail might create problems?
We ran into this when we took delivery of one of the first Lear 70's. We had a customer that liked to operate out of a short airport near their summer home, and when they sold their Lear 40 and bought a Lear 70 (thrust went up from 3,500 lbs per side to 3,850), it turned out that some of the short field performance numbers were worse with the more powerful engine variants. :eek:

Video of DC3 being trucked away.

Attachments

• received_403915990603775.mp4
    1.1 MB
  • received_289282445380921.mp4
    929.6 KB
  • received_413797376276102.mp4
    1.1 MB
Anyone up in the PNW know the story behind the sad looking C-47 (presumably due to paint job) out on the ramp at KAWO? Drove by it today but didn't get a chance to go have a look.

Anyone up in the PNW know the story behind the sad looking C-47 (presumably due to paint job) out on the ramp at KAWO? Drove by it today but didn't get a chance to go have a look.
It was a C-47 built in 1944, maintained as N63440.

It used to fly turkeys for Amerine Farms in Central California out of Oakdale/Dan Donnelly airport in the 1960, and was used by Ronald Reagan during his 1966 campaign for governor. Also an Upstate New York Hockey team.

It apparently flew for Carib West in Barbados in the 1970s.

No idea what the current plans are or when it got the D-Day paint.

Back