Daytona Beach Tour

I can see the appeal of going on the 90 day fast track. You get it done quickly, and you are ready to take the industry head on!

At one time I thought this way as well. I started looking at this forum in 2005, but didn't end up making an account until I got my commerical in 2006. I also really couldn't get a loan, so I ended up working and flying at the same time. In the end, it was a blessing in disguse.

One thing about ATP is that to me it is almost too fast. You are getting the required training, but you really don't get a lot of experience out of it. Not knocking the instructors, but a lot of them are low time, or higher time with a fast accumulation rate, which also means that they could still be inexperienced.

While I went slower, I ended up getting to fly lots of different kinds of stuff, for example: C-172, C-175, C-182RG, C-185, C-310, Piper Tri-pacer, Apache, Arrow, Dakota, Cherokee 6, Super Decathlon etc... and this was all on the way from Private to CFI's. I since added things like the Navajo, but I won't count that since that was post CFI.

Other than equipment, you get some seasoned instructors. I have had retired DC3 pilots and airline guys for teachers. It brings more perspective. Also, things like real grass strips add to it as well.

The one disadvantage is time... but I honestly think that if someone flew full time at an FBO they could realistically do it in 6-7 months, which is not bad. And you get real ground school too!

With the state of the industry, why not take a little extra time to do it right. ANd in your case, since you are on hold anyways, 6 months at one place might finish you off at the same time you would at ATP.

I am not knocking the program, just trying to show that there are other alternatives. Keep looking, you might be surprised.

Oh yeah, the 150 is not a bad idea either... I am too big for those I think though. But it could work.

DAB ATP is good ! It works and you are a Multi CFI-I in 6 months its over before you know it. I do insist on taking check rides with a Mr. Rasky or Mr. Clegg though and no one else! Other than that its an ok site. If you have any problems go to Mr. Mcallister !

Everything that I ever said about ATP, I still say I am glad I went for the experience and got my ratings quickly. Many lessons learned, good and bad.
With that said, everyone seams to have a slightly different experience with ATP. Right now you are motivated, and young. That is great. One day very soon, flying will be no different to you than driving a car with a bit more responsibility. The magic will be gone, you will take for granted that you fly an airplane, and flying an airplane will seam so routine that you will have to pinch yourself to bring things back into perspective that in fact, you are flying an airplane every day.
For when that day comes, you realize you owe 60,000$ and that there simply is not enough money to be had in aviation. When you realize there is not enough money in aviation, you will further realize that you will be making even less money when you go to the regional to get that turbine time. Let's hope your motivation lasts. If it does not, there is 200 others who will take your place. Have fun :)

Not true. I have been flying for a long time and I cant ever see that day approaching. My MEI in CRG used to tell me to look down at everybody sitting in an office. Have you ever heard of them getting excited about upgrading their copier? Or watching movies about people using paper shredders? No, flying is magic- regardless of the aircraft. If flying is just another job, I would leave and do something else. I just cant ever see that happening.

Back