Dangerous Fumes?

No. They’re all like that. Some just push it harder than others. You’re deluding yourself if you think different. It’s why we have consumer protection laws, labor laws, and unions.
Was hilarious, in an aircraft mechanic group I monitor some dude (I think he worked for delta) was whining about how the union pilots got a deal to keep jobs but the non-union mechs were getting hit with layoffs and the company “wasn’t a family anymore”. Delusional.

I’ll let the guy know you said so — that he puts his business above people. LOL. He’ll get a belly laugh. And he’s an introvert.

Especially with the count of employees who’ve needed at least a full year off or significant part-time schedules for medical reasons that he never blinks an eye at.

He’s a human being first and businessman second, you see. It’s nice to work for one. He doesn’t need the money.

Our “CTO” was in a hospital bed for most of a year. Only thing the owner ever asked was “How’s he doing?” His VPs made sure we could all cover for him, whatever resources needed.

I was essentially out for half a year. Nobody blinked an eye.

Another co-worker is currently at Mayo for two months. I have his dog. Ha.

Like I said, try to work for normal humans sometime. It’s nice. Maybe rare, but they do exist.

Almost impossible in Aviation though. Maybe a few “corporate” jet gigs where you’re really working for families. Ironically... just to prove the point.

I do see how most folks get jaded working for the business-first quarterly-numbers driven schmucks though. Was there once.

Sorry. Condolences.

I truly hope you do get a chance to try it sometime. Changes your world view dramatically.

Told ‘em I’d finish the gig they hired me to do in three years. Now well into year number seven.

Definitely fun. Highly recommended if you ever get the chance to work for a real private owner with good morals.

Some people lead and are worth following. Lots aren’t. 80/20 rule probably applies like in most business things.

We almost never post job ads. We hire via personal references the vast majority of the time. I hear of similar gigs in the aviation world.

I went to school with a daughter of an Alaska MD-80 FA that got very sick. I remember them fighting for decades about it.

Something In The Air? -- Secretly Searching Alaska Airlines Records, Employees Find Evidence Of Toxic Leaks | The Seattle Times

It's all about what a company deems important enough to service, whether it be engine cleanings/washes, APU filters/MX, etc - cutbacks or modifications of OEM procedures causes problems. We had zero fume events but when (SEA Airways) took over, they started happening. Then a year later, they went away...so a layman would think it's a factor of cost cutting and then sensible types getting involved.

Back