Dangerous Fumes?

"Congress in 2003 ordered the agency to create a new and comprehensive reporting system. It never did."

Hey how many other Congressional mandates are they delinquent on at the Agency?

I met a scientist who did blood work on people poisoned by Airbus aircraft. They said that I keep it extremely confidential but people are being poisoned on Airbus aircraft.

Forgive the amateur questions here:
  1. Do you have the option to "dump" pressurized air below a certain altitude? That is, is there an option to potentially cut off the flow of contaminated air without opening the doors?
  2. Does a crew have the ability to manually deploy masks, and would this ever be considered as a temporary solution while getting the aircraft on the ground?

Forgive the amateur questions here:
  1. Do you have the option to "dump" pressurized air below a certain altitude? That is, is there an option to potentially cut off the flow of contaminated air without opening the doors?
  2. Does a crew have the ability to manually deploy masks, and would this ever be considered as a temporary solution while getting the aircraft on the ground?

1)Yes below 10,000’ turn of the Packs... (along w/ a bunch of other stuff).

2) Oxygen masks only generate oxygen. It is mixed with cabin air. If there is toxic air present in the cabin there is no way to protect all passengers aside from evacuating that toxic air. Cockpit crew masks on the other hand will block the toxic Air in order to provide 100% o2. Yes we can manually deploy cabin O2 masks.

2) Oxygen masks only generate oxygen. It is mixed with cabin air. If there is toxic air present in the cabin there is no way to protect all passengers aside from evacuating that toxic air. Cockpit crew masks on the other hand will block the toxic Air in order to provide 100% o2. Yes we can manually deploy cabin O2 masks.
To add...deploying passenger oxygen masks is NOT recommended in the event of a fire, smoke or fumes in the cabin, since they're rebreather masks, intended to provide physiological oxygen during a decompression and subsequent emergency descent, not for purposes of protecting the occupants from cabin air contamination.

Pilots have full-face (usually, that is; integral smoke goggles seem to be the standard nowadays), positive-pressure, diluter-demand masks that can do 100% under pressure, 100% when you breathe, or dilute with cabin air dependent upon regulator settings.

Additionally, the chemical oxygen generators in the cabin produce a ton of heat, and it's not unusual for them to start a fire in the cabin when used.

Additionally, the chemical oxygen generators in the cabin produce a ton of heat, and it's not unusual for them to start a fire in the cabin when used.

I feel like there was a discussion about that on here years ago - about the probability that one catches fire, but then multiplying that by each one on the ship.

1. Do you have the option to "dump" pressurized air below a certain altitude? That is, is there an option to potentially cut off the flow of contaminated air without opening the doors
a side discussion, years ago flying air ambo in a king air, occasionally the med crew would eat something that would leave... undesirable cabin atmosphere conditions. Having the pressurization controller upfront let me raise the cabin altitude and basically dump some of the cabin air.

a side discussion, years ago flying air ambo in a king air, occasionally the med crew would eat something that would leave... undesirable cabin atmosphere conditions. Having the pressurization controller upfront let me raise the cabin altitude and basically dump some of the cabin air.
That’s what the vicks in your flight bag is for

I mean...that’s what corporations DO.

Some.

Mine wouldn’t, but then again it’s not a broke azz airline nor a public company with shareholders to appease — and the owner actually leads by example and cares about his staff. He has personal reputation skin in the game.

Your statement needs a few more qualifiers / adjectives that describe losers that behave like that when running things they don’t own. Rental managers I call them. Not leaders.

Hard to find a place like mine in big aviation though. I understand, and offer deepest sympathies.

Technically I work for one of his six or so corporations. It’s just a legal entity term. When you work for azz-hats, you work for azz-hats.

Some “corporations” are infested with them, some not.

My own sole proprietor corporation I owned however... the guy running that before he had to close it down, was a complete jerk. LOL.

Some.

Mine wouldn’t, but then again it’s not a broke azz airline nor a public company with shareholders to appease — and the owner actually leads by example and cares about his staff. He has personal reputation skin in the game.

Your statement needs a few more qualifiers / adjectives that describe losers that behave like that when running things they don’t own. Rental managers I call them. Not leaders.

Hard to find a place like mine in big aviation though. I understand, and offer deepest sympathies.

Technically I work for one of his six or so corporations. It’s just a legal entity term. When you work for azz-hats, you work for azz-hats.

Some “corporations” are infested with them, some not.

My own sole proprietor corporation I owned however... the guy running that before he had to close it down, was a complete jerk. LOL.
No. They’re all like that. Some just push it harder than others. You’re deluding yourself if you think different. It’s why we have consumer protection laws, labor laws, and unions.
Was hilarious, in an aircraft mechanic group I monitor some dude (I think he worked for delta) was whining about how the union pilots got a deal to keep jobs but the non-union mechs were getting hit with layoffs and the company “wasn’t a family anymore”. Delusional.

Last edited:
Back