Current FSA Instructors

PetrolBurner

Flying inside the TFRs
I'm currently training in Phoenix AZ and have enjoyed my experience living in the desert, but I'm more than ready to start my oceanside living. I will be leaving here with my CFII and MEI, loading up my ancient Toyota and driving to Florida in search of a job. I'm interested in instructing for FSA, and just wondering what it's like for the instructors there.

What do you do for housing?
What do you do for fun?
Are there many instructors or students there into fishing? I would plan on buying a fishing boat ASAP after moving there, that sheltered canal/bay of water around fritz island looks like it would be good.

Any other flight schools in coastal areas of Florida that you guys have left for FSA or talk about leaving FSA for?

Thanks for any advice
Trevor

What do you do for housing?
What do you do for fun?
Are there many instructors or students there into fishing?
Any other flight schools in coastal areas of Florida that you guys have left for FSA or talk about leaving FSA for?
Trevor

There are many housing options. A decent one bedroom apartment will run you about $550 - $600/month plus utilities. I share a house with two others. There are a lot of new or nearly new houses around here for rent. Builders can't sell in these times so they are willing to rent for a fair price.

Not much for fun around Vero. That's why they often call it Zero Beach. There are some local pubs that aren't too bad. West Palm Beach is only 1.5 hours away. More fun down there.

There are a few that are into fishing. One in particular fishes out of his canoe on a regular basis.

As far as other schools are concerned, there's Riddle, FIT, Ormond Beach Flight Training, and Paris Air (@VRB). There are just too many to name all.

FSI hands down has the best pay and benefits. $33k ish to start. $36-$38k if you bust your butt and get lots of overtime. Not too many instructors leave here to teach for other schools. Most go to airlines, 135, or corporate gigs.

Thank you for the great information, FSA is at the top of my list right now, can't wait to move to Florida!

What are the chances I can get a phone interview or general assurance of a job if everything checks out? It's a big cost for me to move from Phoenix to Florida.

What are the chances I can get a phone interview or general assurance of a job if everything checks out? It's a big cost for me to move from Phoenix to Florida.

Fax your resume to FSA. I forgot the main fax number. It should be on the website. They will want to see you in person. Part of the process is a flight to see how well you teach.

Well I've earned my MEI and CFII, no more ATP Seminole flying for me. I have my single engine add-on in the next few days and then I will be heading to Vero Beach for an interview. Really looking forward to moving to Florida. What is the current status at FSA, any idea how many more MEIs they are looking to hire?

What is the current status at FSA, any idea how many more MEIs they are looking to hire?

We need MEIs badly! We are very short on them. Most MEIs here have 10 or more students. We are just about up to speed on SE, but definitely hurting on the ME side.

Side note: They will likely put you through SE standardization first, then ME. You could expect to teach for a month or two in SE before moving up to ME. Plenty of work.

Put my application in today, can't wait to move to Florida. Anyone have a room to rent? Preferably with space to store a fishing boat?

Put my application in today, can't wait to move to Florida. Anyone have a room to rent? Preferably with space to store a fishing boat?

Good luck! When I was in Vero, there were plenty of places to rent, look for flyers around the campus, and in the halls of the dorms, that's where I usually saw rooms for rent listed

Back