Currency Question

GaTechKid

A friend and I are going to be flying next weekend but my currency has lapsed. We are both pilots so here is my question:

1) Can I regain currency with him in the airplane or must I perform the necessary landings before we venture off together?

2) Also, if I decided not to do 3 T & L before we leave and he is flying in the left seat, would he be able to go under the hood during cruise?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Can I regain currency with him in the airplane or must I perform the necessary landings before we venture off together?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you may regain currency with him in the airplane so long as your friend is current, qualified to act as PIC, and is willing to act as PIC (take responsibility for the flight). Remember that the currency prohibition involves authority to take responsibility for the flight (act as PIC), not on flying the airplane.
[ QUOTE ]

2) Also, if I decided not to do 3 T & L before we leave and he is flying in the left seat, would he be able to go under the hood during cruise?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. There is no currency requirement for acting as a safety pilot. So long as you have at least a private pilot certificate with the proper aircraft ratings and a current medical, you may perform safety pilot duties.

Trying to keep this simple, I'm leaving all the logging issues aside.

[ QUOTE ]
What logging issues are there?

[/ QUOTE ]Oh, the usual ones about logging PIC and SIC in the safety pilot situation that people argue about all the time even though it's all been settled for at least 20 years.

Assuming the basics: both the flying pilot (FP) and the safety pilot (SP) have pilot certificates with the appropriate aircraft ratings and the flight takes place in visual conditions

1. FP may always log the time she is flying as PIC time.

2. =If= SP is acting as PIC, SP may log PIC time for the time FP is under the hood.

3. =If= SP is not acting as PIC, SP may log SIC time for the time FP is under the hood.

Back