CTI Advice

Lore

Today, I fly down to Daytona Beach, FL to begin my first day at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, ATC major, space physics minor.

...yeah, I know. Believe me, I know. Unfortunately, I am in that position where I'm still just a 20 yr old college kid who still has to listen to the parentals due to my own financial situation. I live in the Maryland area, so at first I looked at CCBC's ATC-CTI program, but the parents balked upon seeing it's a 2 year program (heaven forbid it's not a Ph.D), so they would rather spend this ridiculous amount of money to send me to Embry-Riddle for a four year ATC program.

Is it even worth it?

Fortunately, I am starting during the summer semester & have made no obligations for the fall. My previous college will accept me with open arms should I choose to go back in the fall, so I have a choice ahead of me. Attending Embry-Riddle in the summer is more or less to see if I enjoy aviation classes at all (myself & everyone around me is certain I will). If I don't, then no big deal, I lost a chunk of money. If I do, then I have to decide if paying a private school for four years is worth it.

I recognize that CTI doesn't exactly prepare you for the job itself. If I had my way of things, I would go to CCBC & try my luck that way, but that door is more or less closed to me. So my questions to the forum are such:
1) I'm clever & I'm determined. I have very little doubts that I would washout, but I cannot afford to sit around for months or years & wait for my opportunity to go to Oaklahoma. Should I even bother or would a degree in a field of science that interests me be more suited to general happiness/the economy?
2) If I do go through with it, would ERAU have even the smallest amount of impact on my chances of getting to Oaklahoma quickly? I'm almost positive it doesn't, but I thought I'd ask for kicks.
3) If by some craziness I get hired, what's likely to be my starting salary/for how long? The two states I would list would be Maryland & Virginia, directing me (most likely) to either BWI, JFK, Dullus, Reagan, or any of the smaller airports in those areas.

Really, any final advice at this point would be appreciated. I'm going to ERAU either way just because I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try & CCBC is barred from me, but I would like some insider opinions on just what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks.

Is it even worth it?
Probably not.

1) I'm clever & I'm determined. I have very little doubts that I would washout, but I cannot afford to sit around for months or years & wait for my opportunity to go to Oaklahoma. Should I even bother or would a degree in a field of science that interests me be more suited to general happiness/the economy?
2) If I do go through with it, would ERAU have even the smallest amount of impact on my chances of getting to Oaklahoma quickly? I'm almost positive it doesn't, but I thought I'd ask for kicks.
3) If by some craziness I get hired, what's likely to be my starting salary/for how long? The two states I would list would be Maryland & Virginia, directing me (most likely) to either BWI, JFK, Dullus, Reagan, or any of the smaller airports in those areas.

1) I know the mental feeling of saying "I have very little doubts that I would washout", but be veeeery careful with that train of thought. Those are usually the types that wash out first: the cocky ones that think they already know everything and don't need to listen to their trainers in the facilities. They end up arguing completely invalid points to the point that no one likes them, and there is a pretty good chance they won't make it. Now, please don't think I'm calling you a cocky little SOB - I'm really not. In my short period with the Agency, I've seen that attitude and its impending results. My advice is to NOT major in ATC and instead major in something you enjoy. If aviation is what you enjoy, major in airport management or something besides ATC. I was an Information Systems major in college, and I'm glad I was, as it was a great fallback if I were not to make it through to OKC, much less through the training program at my airport.

2) ERAU would like you to believe that they're the most badass, amazing, wonderful school that produces the smartest, sexiest, and most qualified candidates for ANY job in the aviation industry. Behind the glitz and glamour, they are just another school. Sure, they have a great aviation program, but so do other CTI schools. You are put in the same hiring pool as everyone else when you apply to the CTI announcement on the FAA's jobs website. Your chances are just as good as theirs, unless the state preferences you list for where you want to work have a high demand, which would accelerate your getting into OKC. The name on the diploma means nothing on the application; you're just a number.

3) You start at the same rate as everyone else, albeit with a potentially different cost of living adjustment based on your locality. You would be making roughly $8 an hour as an Academy student and $37k as an Academy graduate, plus your locality differential. That lasts until you certify on one position (at least that's how it works in the tower environment). At our level 6 facility, we have D2, D3, and CPC certification levels, and each one has a low/high amount associated with it. Check out this link to see the different pay bands: http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/95581-2010-2011-2012-pay-bands.html Note: higher level facilities (obviously) earn higher salaries, but they usually have more steps to certification. Where I work, we have FD/CD, Ground, and Local. Once you certify on Local, you achieve CPC status. If I had to guess about it, you wouldn't be placed in any of the airports you mentioned, as they are a higher level of difficulty than the regional or feeder airports to which you would most likely be assigned. I'm not saying you won't get placed at BWI, but the odds are not in your favor as a new hire. In fact, I applied as a "Terminal Only" applicant (I didn't want to be in a Center) and thought I'd get the main international airport here in St. Louis, but I instead got one of the regionals that has no commercial traffic. Our private aircraft, flight schools, and business aircraft traffic more than make up for the difference, though, and we sometimes run higher traffic counts than the international.

Also, make sure wherever you go offers English and/or Geography classes. Oklahoma only has two letter As, and Dulles has an E in it. Oh, and in this industry, you may want to call it "National" instead of "Reagan". Controllers frequently have a somewhat negative view of the 40th US President. ;)

Hahaha, that's what I get for typing that up while trying to simultaneously argue with the Bursar's office. Those are shameful typos, & thanks for the tip on the name of the airport. :)

You have been very helpful. I will keep all of this in mind when I register tomorrow. With any luck, I can try & major in astrophysics down here & minor in ATC. Thank you!

1. If you say you can't sit around for months or years waiting for the job after graduation, then go ahead and stop now. Even when the hiring was good and quick it was about a year minimum wait anyway. I graduated August 06 and was at the Academy Sept. 07. It is hard to move must faster than that. Wait times now are about 1-2.5 years. Perfect time to get a Master's or something like that.

2. Doesn't matter. The only things that matter are the states you pick and whether you got a WQ or Q score on the ATSAT.

3. Check out pay bands as seen above and that is what you will be making. Just know that there are other airports than the big ones you listed plus ARTCCs as well.

Back