CSEL Ground Study Materials?

AA34

I’ve used King for both Private and Instrument. I liked those programs but just bought the Commercial program and it’s really only focused on passing the written with really dated videos. I’ve used Sheppard with a lot of success in just focusing on the written. I was hoping to find something more comprehensive to study that would prepare me for all aspects of becoming a commercial pilot while also doing well on the check ride. Thinking maybe just going back through PHAK and Flying Handbook? Anyone with recent input on Jeppesen or Sporty’s commercial ground?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think Sheppard air should be used for private or instrument. The concepts are too important.

PHAK and flying handbook would be -exactly- my recommendation. I think your instincts are right on target. Jeppesen stuff is super wordy, and they add a lot of filler, and it's basically like they made a textbook out of the PHAK and AFH by adding a ton of fluff. The FAA (and, by extension, its designees) want to hear answers from "the source." The PHAK and AFH are, in this case, "the source." They're also easy to read and well-put-together.

-Fox

I agree with Fox, just go through the ACS and that will give you an outline of what to study.
Airspace, systems, weather and FARs are big topics during the oral.

You should be familiar with all the topics in the PHAK and AFH. Know where to look things up and show that you have studied the material. Looking things up should only be used to “jog” your memory in most cases.

ACS/PTS is your guide. It spells out the subject areas of interest, special emphasis areas and even references the appropriate FAA guidance material for each subject.

This ^.

I just passed my Commercial ASEL test yesterday. I used Sheppard for the written and got a decent score. That helps with the ground portion of the test.

For the ground/oral, pull out the ACS and study each chapter and requirements.

Send me a PM with your email and I can get you a copy of a ground/oral guide that I used.

if you like M zero A on facebook you can get a two week free trial and select commercial pilot

This ^.

I just passed my Commercial ASEL test yesterday. I used Sheppard for the written and got a decent score. That helps with the ground portion of the test.

For the ground/oral, pull out the ACS and study each chapter and requirements.

Send me a PM with your email and I can get you a copy of a ground/oral guide that I used.
Congratulations!! Sending a PM now!

Thanks for the responses everyone!

In all seriousness, use the appropriate ACS/PTS for checkride prep. That’s what the examiner will be using and evaluating you by.

Train like you fight. Use the material the examiner will be using, the M zero A or Machado stuff might have cool graphics but the examiner expects you to know what is in the ACS/PTS.

In all seriousness, use the appropriate ACS/PTS for checkride prep. That’s what the examiner will be using and evaluating you by.

Train like you fight. Use the material the examiner will be using, the M zero A or Machado stuff might have cool graphics but the examiner expects you to know what is in the ACS/PTS.
Great point. Kind of information overload looking at all the possible options. Sticking to the ACS brings everything back into focus.

I just passed my CSEL the first week of this month. I studied the PHAK, AFH, Commercial Oral Exam Guide and the Gleim: Commercial Pilot ACS & Oral Exam guide. Also, I got a subscription to Fly8MA and also watched all of MZeroA commercial vids on YT. I used Shepperd Air to study for my commercial written. I got a 93%. Hope this helps.

Also getting a gouge of your DPE is also a really good study tool too.

I just passed my CSEL the first week of this month. I studied the PHAK, AFH, Commercial Oral Exam Guide and the Gleim: Commercial Pilot ACS & Oral Exam guide. Also, I got a subscription to Fly8MA and also watched all of MZeroA commercial vids on YT. I used Shepperd Air to study for my commercial written. I got a 93%. Hope this helps.

Also getting a gouge of your DPE is also a really good study tool too.
Great info thank you! And, congratulations! Big accomplishment.

Back