CRJ approach speeds

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I was having a discussion with someone about the approach speed on the Canadair CRJ-200. Now it's been 15 years since I've flown one, but I seem to remember that it was NOT 1.3 VSo. Something about the characteristics of that wing required an additional buffer over VSo, and it was a manufacturers additive, not a company one.

Does this ring a bell with anybody? And if so, what was the additive (% over VSo) and what was the reason?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having a discussion with someone about the approach speed on the Canadair CRJ-200. Now it's been 15 years since I've flown one, but I seem to remember that it was NOT 1.3 VSo. Something about the characteristics of that wing required an additional buffer over VSo, and it was a manufacturers additive, not a company one.

Does this ring a bell with anybody? And if so, what was the additive (% over VSo) and what was the reason?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, 1.3vso puts you in cat E which the FAA won't allow. The 200 got an exemption to run approaches at 1.26 or 1.27 so the highest gross weight for emergency landings was inside Cat D approaches.

And when I say FAA won't allow, I mean in the sense bombardier did such a poor job designing that thing the feds flipped the manufacturer the bird. Other airplanes have been allowed to go under the 1.3vso I don't have a list. They made more work for bombardier because Canadian syrup is such an abomination.

Green line is 1.26 above "stick pusher speed" and curiously also right about Vref.

Recently company has provided guidance to fly Vref +5 and slow only as needed to cross the threshold at Vref and 50'. Combine that with the recent QRH v1 change to wing heating and flap extension so we don't stall it due to unknown ice buildup in the flare... well, the half-assery that went on in designing this thing shows.

Green line is 1.26 above "stick pusher speed" and curiously also right about Vref.

Recently company has provided guidance to fly Vref +5 and slow only as needed to cross the threshold at Vref and 50'. Combine that with the recent QRH v1 change to wing heating and flap extension so we don't stall it due to unknown ice buildup in the flare... well, the half-assery that went on in designing this thing shows.
The 200 is the incredible cartwheeling sweep wing death. Heat those effin wings up.

We used to teach those 2 accidents and the Pinnacle guys (because Pinnacle is to blame for everything) were offended because one was Pinnacle at one time. So we catered to the snowflakes. I used to have the report numbers on my phone bookmarked and the Oslo air guys that didn't die because they rotated one degree a second.

Heat the wings, don't f with that. Don't listen to the old timers, heat those wings.

Oh I have zero issue with running the wing A/I pretty much constantly from top of descent til flaps 45... but I also have by bid in for "that other plane" which will require me to stop acting like a reckless regional cowboy and fly like a real pilot since I'll be getting that precious precious under-wing engine time.

Oh I have zero issue with running the wing A/I pretty much constantly from top of descent til flaps 45... but I also have by bid in for "that other plane" which will require me to stop acting like a reckless regional cowboy and fly like a real pilot since I'll be getting that precious precious under-wing engine time.
That damn thing will make you lazy.
Granted, I was on a 700, not 200, but it goes something like this
- I. Want. My. AIRPLANE. Back.
- well... this is a fairly comfy office...
- this plane is growing on me
- aight, be ready to declare, imana turn A/T off to see if I still remember how to fly without them

That damn thing will make you lazy.
Granted, I was on a 700, not 200, but it goes something like this
- I. Want. My. AIRPLANE. Back.
- well... this is a fairly comfy office...
- this plane is growing on me
- aight, be ready to declare, imana turn A/T off to see if I still remember how to fly without them

I've obtained the maximum amount of laziness the CRJ allows. I feel like I've been working too hard ever since I was condemned to 200 hell and am ready to move on. Besides, I've got a stack of Sunday crosswords that need solving and all these 1 hour legs on the Deuce ain't helping.

Except when it isn’t.

By way of explanation, I flew a lot of airplanes where the green line was either slightly, or in one particularly interesting case, greatly (15kt+) over green line. Yes it got written up; I think they wound up changing both (?) stall protection computers.

Last edited:
Except when it isn’t.

By way of explanation, I flew a lot of airplanes where the green line was either slightly, or in one particularly interesting case, greatly (15kt+) over green line. Yes it got written up; I think they wound up changing both (?) stall protection computers.

Did you mean greatly over Vref instead of greatly over green line?

Back