Critical Density Altitude??

CirrusPilot

Hi all, I just finished up my comm multi end of course and I have my FAA checkride tomorrow morning. One of the questions i messed up was the meaning of critical density alt. Iv searched in all my book and looked online, but cant really find a definition for it. Any help would be much appreciated!
Trent.

As the multi-engine aircraft increases in altitude, Vmca decreases, but calibrated stall speed does not change (indicated stall speed will not change on any given day if we assume no compressibility) for a specific weight, configuration, and altitude. So, there exists an altitude where each of the following exists:

a) Vmca is less than Vs
b) Vmca is the same as Vs
c) Vmca is greater than Vs

The density altitude where Vmca and Vs are equal is called Critical Density Altitude. At this altitude, the aircraft slows to Vmca and Vs at the same time. This may cause a non-controllable, non-recoverable flight attitude such as a spin.

Above the critical density altitude the aircraft will reach the calibrated stall speed before Vmca.

Below the critical density altitude the aircraft will reach Vmca before the calibrated stall speed.

Found this online but maybe not a reliable sorce, I would look in some actual FAA Multi Engine publications but if all else fails there is this, Sorry I dont have my books in front of me to check this one out. Again no promises but hope this helps.

I never saw it written down anywhere, but we had a DE who was big on that sort of thing and that is what I taught as well. Of course in some planes (namely the PA44 I was teaching in), Vs is ALWAYS higher than VMCa so it was something of a moot point.

So no vmc demo? I mean, no wait for indication of loss of directional control, just stall warning?

Yep. Normally you'd recover at the stall horn. Some times I'd block the rudder after a few inches of peddle travel so "simulate" a loss of directional control.

That is one of the dangers of the Seminole. If you do actually keep pulling back to get a loss of directional control and ignore the stall warning system (and the buffet) you run the risk of spinning the plane because you are stalling with all that rudder in. Also, students who have done all their twin training in the 'nole (or similar light twin with this characteristic) will never actually see a true VMC situation. I remember my first demo in a 310 was a huge eye opener.

One thing to keep in mind is that the book value for Vs is determined as max gross weight. Vmc is determied at "most unfavorable" weight. In the Seminole, Vs is 57KIAS at 3800 lbs,and Vmc is 56 KIAS at 2730 lbs. The POH also notes that Vmc is a stalled condition in the PA-44

Back