Crew Scheduling

airdave37130

I know alot of dispatcher probably came up from scheduling... so your thoughts on scheduling and the airlines or cargo operations.. i was at AA for 3 years now im at FDX, 4 years now. i started at envoy.. it has been a tough run through all this pandemic with crews and governmental agencies saying who can and cant come in, how long after having covid before they can return.. anyway just thoughs i had while sitting reading dispatch stuff. ps why isnt there a crew scheduling file/folder on jet careers???

Dave

It is possible to get to dispatch via crew scheduling. If that is the route you want to choose, apply at the airline you want to dispatch for and go through the process. I know several dispatcher that have gone that route. Is it the best option? For you it maybe, for someone else - they could be starving and if that is the only job available - well, they'd rather die.

I spent several years in scheduling and scheduling management at a regional a few years back,now have moved into a non dispatch management role within an OCC elsewhere. We had several schedulers at my regional go and get their tickets and they are now dispatching at various regionals and ULCCs. When I would interview schedulers many of them saw scheduling as a foot in the door to eventually get to dispatch,which is not an entirely horrible game plan. That being said,crew scheduling is probably the most thankless (and underpaid) job within any SOC/OCC/NOC etc. Constant IROPs and having to deliver bad news to crews in the form of junior manning and extending their trips or calling reserves at 3am for a 6am show. The most important takeaways for me in scheduling was learning how to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and functions as well as the “customer service” aspect of dealing with crew members. A lot of these skills directly correlate with the fundamental duties of a dispatcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back