Crew Rest & Logging Flight Time

Nikle994

I recently had a client that operates as a Part 121 First Officer ask if he can log flight time while on rest break during a flight. This airline operates with 2 First Officers and 1 Captain on flights scheduled between 8 and 12 hours. He was also wondering if time spent in the left seat can be logged as PIC while the captain is on break. Any input is much appreciated.

You can 'log' anything that you want. But...

Yes to #1 and No to #2.

The Capt. is still the Capt. even if he is out in the cabin. And flight time is flight time when part of the FAR required crew.

You can 'log' anything that you want. But...

Yes to #1 and No to #2.

The Capt. is still the Capt. even if he is out in the cabin. And flight time is flight time when part of the FAR required crew.

I believe yes to both. That said if you try to claim that PIC anywhere important like a job interview, they’re going to laugh at you.

You can log PIC if you want, but I wouldn't suggest it. I made an IRO column in my logbook for augmented flights.

I believe yes to both. That said if you try to claim that PIC anywhere important like a job interview, they’re going to laugh at you.
Whenever the captain goes on break...especially if he's a little tightly wound.

iu

Last edited:
Back