Crash Pads

Falcon262

I may be buying a townhouse within the next two months and I may have a extra bedroom. Was wondering what the pros and cons of offering it as a crash pad. What would be a reasonable rent amount? Any advice would be appriciated.

Pro's? Extra Money
Cons? People in and out.

You are probably going to have to make it a month to month thing and depending on how many people you want to live there. Also the amount of people you have is going to determine how much its worth. If you are going to having two beds in one room then you could probably get 200$ish a month. You need to figure out how often you are wiling to have someone there. If you are looking to see someone once every 4 days, then this may not be a good deal for you, b/c they may be doing alot of "day" trips. You need to live in a "base" city. If you live in GSO , then I know of one airline that has a crew base there, so PM and I can get you pointed in the right Direction.

I think you would do better having a crew member roomate and not offering your spare bedroom as a crashpad. You could probably find someone who wouldn't be around much and who could help you cover the mortgage. I have a crew member roomie and it works great as she is seldom home, but would never rent out the spare as a 'crash pad' (to more than one person anyway). Most crashpadders are also looking for something really cheap, esp if they are junior, and if they are paying rent elsewhere probably won't pay $200/mo for a pad. (The popular ones in LAX our guys use are $140-150.) For that kind of money, it isn't worth the hastle. As Kingairer said, finding a GSO based crewmember who wants a roomie would be much better. You get the $ and they are gone half the month.

All depends on people you'll attract.
I was once in a crashpad where you had to be recommended to and to get in was as hard as to get a job in 2002!
I guess I got lucky.
There was no parties, no drinking, quet at nights - and that's what I wanted before 5 am shows, all the guys were great! Bills on time, BBQ's, going to the gym together, basketball, cleaning, renting movies, talking airplanes etc.

[ QUOTE ]
. . .no drinking . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, a rule? Like, if I want a drink, I can't have one??
crazy.gif

"As in, a rule? Like, if I want a drink, I can't have one??"

Of course you can!

But they didn't and that's what made it so good...
Without such a rule.

Cool, serious, hard working guys. Most of them are at the majors now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"As in, a rule? Like, if I want a drink, I can't have one??"

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can!

But they didn't and that's what made it so good...
Without such a rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose....
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cool, serious, hard working guys. Most of them are at the majors now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to derail the thread, but are you suggesting that the fact that they were cool, serious and hardworking had anything to do with the fact that they wouldn't have a drink? Or that because they didn't drink at the crashpad, they're at the majors now??
wink.gif

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may go the crew roomate route if my cousin does not move with me. Went to the mortgage bank today and filled out my paperwork for my loan. Should know something in a couple of weeks. With the loan I am getting and the builder offering money toward closing costs, it looks like I may not need any money down.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may go the crew roomate route if my cousin does not move with me. Went to the mortgage bank today and filled out my paperwork for my loan. Should know something in a couple of weeks. With the loan I am getting and the builder offering money toward closing costs, it looks like I may not need any money down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whether you need to put any money down and whether you should put money down are two different things.

Can't give you any real advice on the subject without knowing a lot of details that I really don't want to know (
wink.gif
), and I'm not an expert anyway, but if I were in your shoes I'd make sure I looked at where the loan and resale values on the townhouse work out if I didn't put any money on a down payment. For example, I wouldn't want to end up owing more for the property than I could easily sell it for if I need to liquidate in a hurry. I've seen people do this kind of thing way too often on things like new cars, where they end up owing the bank more than the vehicle is worth when they try to sell it.

My $0.02.

smile.gif

Whether you need to put any money down and whether you should put money down are two different things.

Can't give you any real advice on the subject without knowing a lot of details that I really don't want to know (
wink.gif
), and I'm not an expert anyway, but if I were in your shoes I'd make sure I looked at where the loan and resale values on the townhouse work out if I didn't put any money on a down payment. For example, I wouldn't want to end up owing more for the property than I could easily sell it for if I need to liquidate in a hurry. I've seen people do this kind of thing way too often on things like new cars, where they end up owing the bank more than the vehicle is worth when they try to sell it.

My $0.02.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I will not have to pay any money out of pocket, it will show that I did make a downpayment. The way the loan is sturctured, I am geting the downpayment as a gift from a foundation. The builder is also paying some of the closing costs. I am pretty confident the value of the house will not go down. Townhouses are selling like crazy here.

Back