Crash investigation help!

OMG! Those pics are priceless! Where/when did your cousin find the box containing the negatives?

To me, the sartorial clues peg this as happening at an organized event (airshow, barnstorm, etc). I'd start looking for what aviation events occurred in the area in question back then.
The box would of came from one of the original family houses. Either Flanders, NJ or Long Branch, NJ.
I’m no historian, but I was under the impression most post WWI barnstorming wasn’t organized.

So I found information on "Jersey Ringel" who was a stunt performer on biplanes in the early 1900's. Some of the photos I found of him are similar to the biplane in your photos. He performed all over the Eastern US. He died in 1930 due to complications from a crash. Perhaps of his planes are in your photos? Although he seemed pretty popular so I'm sure your family would remember if they witnessed his crash. At the very least, maybe it'll steer us in the right direction to find answers.

Philip Harry "Jersey" Ringel - Genealogy.com This is quick info on Jersey Ringel
Looks like this fella died in Alabama, so unlikely. Also, the Curtiss O1 seems to look different below the prop. Maybe someone else can see that? Curtis did have different models of the O1.
Thanks for the clues!

So my cousin, the family genealogists, came up with some negatives in an old box of a flipped biplane in a field. None of our family is in the pictures, so I’m assuming said family member went out to the field by themself to take pictures of the crashed plane. My cousins guess to the age of the negatives puts it between 1910 and 1920. View attachment 49611View attachment 49612View attachment 49613
It would of been somewhere around Flanders, NJ. My family name from there is Erickson. (Swedish immigrants)
That’s all the info I have, thought it would be neat to try and find out the story behind the pictures. Want to help?
First question would be, what kind of airplane is that? Where crashes documented back then?
Could be fun.
Might any of your relatives back then lived near Whitney Point, NY?

Waco 9? Nose, exhaust, prop and wing/wing box configuration look about right.
GAN1-zWACO-9-XP-447-Serial-No-26-206AC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back