Covering flight training

coa787

Unknown Member
I read on another thread that FAFSA doesn't cover much of the flight training expenses. So, for those of you that are taking out loans to pay for college, what are you doing/can you do to pay for the flight training?

Thanks.

Be very careful if you plan to fund everything through loans.

I wish I would have found JC before my Junior year in college. I’d like to think that it would have convinced me to find other ways to finance/go about getting to where I’m at now.

For what it’s worth, I paid for my first year of college, all of Avit 102 and half of 221 out of pocket. The rest of it I took out in loans. Six months after graduation those loans started being paid back to the tune of $1,100 a month. I took out the maximum that I could in Stafford loans, and the rest of it was private at a smaller interest rate.

Let me tell you, as a first year FO I was bringing in just about $1,400 a month (NET). It was very rough. Without savings that I had, and help from the family, I wouldn’t have been able to make it that first year.

Now, after refinancing/restructuring my debt, and having developed a solid plan “B” I’m starting to feel like my head’s coming above water. I could have went way overboard here, and maybe not even be completely applicable to you per say, but I’m writing what I wish I could have seen before I signed the dotted line on the loan paperwork…. For those that may be lurking the forum.

Here's what I thought at the time before/during training:

(Looking at pay scales for the jobs that I’d like to get after schooling, and the amount of debt that I was coming out with made it look pretty scary. But, I thought to myself that wouldn’t be me, and I’d work hard and get lucky. Second year pay would come, and upgrade would come shortly, and then it would be easy to pay off those loan payments).

Well, as it turns out, I’m at a year in the right seat of a regional and staring a furlough in the face. This wasn’t in my plan, and it doesn’t look like I’m going to be that lucky. Good thing for that plan “B” that I’ve got.

Sorry for the quasi-rant towards the end… just something that I wish to share with others that are possibly looking to finance this huge cost all through loans. Anyways, food for thought...

its a tough call. some of us dont have any other option except loans...loans...loans...

and personally, id rather be dead than not pursuing my passion....

so, make a deal with the devil...and hope (read: bust your ass) you can sort it out later. :nana2:

(yes i know, not very "responsible" advice...but hey you only live once.)

its a tough call. some of us dont have any other option except loans...loans...loans...

and personally, id rather be dead than not pursuing my passion....

so, make a deal with the devil...and hope (read: bust your ass) you can sort it out later. :nana2:

(yes i know, not very "responsible" advice...but hey you only live once.)

I had a passion for airplanes at one point in my life.

The airlines killed it.

They also have started to ruin my relationship with my fiance.

So if I stay in the airlines I'll lose my job, and my fiance and be left with nothing.

WTF kind of passion does that to a person?

They also have started to ruin my relationship with my fiance.

So if I stay in the airlines I'll lose [...] my fiance and be left with nothing.

:crazy:

Bull kacka, J. The airlines did no such thing. You know why.

You ever watch Entourage? Gonna have to start calling you "Drama." ;)

Right now I have all my flight expenses covered through the stafford loan. Its only a temporary plan as I am hoping to get a scholorship and also Ga. has the Hope scholorship. So look into all the options that you may have.

Back