Cost of getting CFI

RedBaron2000

I'm looking to get my CFI and possibly II if I have time. I'm going to try to get my employer to pay for part of it so I'd like to get a good idea of the rough cost. Here's what I'm looking at:

Instruction would be with a local CFI at going rates. How many hours does it typically take on the ground?

Plane would be an older Arrow, not sure about the cost (I think it's around 160ish/hour). I'm guessing maybe 10-12 hours in the plane. Does that sound right?

Other fees I guess would be to take my FOI/CFI-A written exam plus the software, and then the examiner fee. It's been about 7 years since I've gotten a rating in the US so I'm a little out of the loop.

One other question: I have an electronic logbook and will be printing that out for the DE. However, my original, paper logbook (that only has my first 250 or so hours) with all my endorsements, etc., are in Indonesia (where I normally live) and I probably wouldn't be able to get that for the check ride. Will that be a problem for the DE, not being able to see the signed endorsements, or will my logbook printed out from LogTen Pro be enough? I'll be in the US for another month or two before returning to Indonesia where I live and work.

Thanks for the help.

Depends a lot on your proficiency. The flying really isn't hard for the CFI, basic COM maneuvers but you have to teach and talk your way through them.

Most people have to take their CFI initial with the FAA (not a DPE) so there's no charge for the actual check ride. If you have a unique situation where they dont have any inspectors available then they could delegate it to a DPE and then you'll have a ~$350-500 fee.

10 hours flight time learning to fly, talk/teach, and evaluate from the right seat should be plenty adequate for most people if they are proficient with COM maneuvers going into it.

For writtens, you need FOI and CFI-A (might as well add AGI while you're at it).

Most of the cost is your own time reading, preparing lesson plans, and practice teaching.

It's not a very expensive rating in terms of money, but very costly in terms of preparation time.

If you are not a self-disciplined person, you might look at going to an intensive CFI prep course like Shebles or others where you can just focus on it for a couple weeks with no distractions.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm a fairly disciplined person but I also have 3 kids at home ages 6 and under. :eek2:

I've always assumed there's a good bit of time spent with your CFI as well. Is that not the case?

Thanks so much for the response. I'm a fairly disciplined person but I also have 3 kids at home ages 6 and under. :eek2:

I've always assumed there's a good bit of time spent with your CFI as well. Is that not the case?

Depends on you. If you already know how to teach, and you can write your own lesson plans, you won't need that much ground time with a CFI. If you have no clue how to teach, you'll need more time.

Most of it will/should be ground time, but it really depends on your preparation. If you have lesson plans already done/know the regs/endorsements/AC's cold, are comfortable actually teaching the stuff - it shouldn't take too much time.

I'd find a freelance/local CFI you can pay directly, one that is reasonably active instructing.

Back