Controller Headsets

The folks at my local facility are using 2 different types. Some of the guys (mostly older) are using the type that are in-ear w/a small clear mic and some of the newer folks are using plain old Plantronics headsets that just fit on top of the ear.

i plan on using an older one....they are much more comfortable that the Plantronics you are talking about, they dont fit very well and only become worse over time. with the older ones you can get a custom ear piece which makes them fit a lot better

When you went to your first facility did they provide you with a headset or did you have to buy it?

The facility should provide one. However, like sooner said, invest in your own preferably with the thin wire top piece. The thicker wire tops tend to be stiff and will cause your top piece to come off your ear repeatedly. Its extremely annoying to say the least...

HD

The FAA provides the headsets for you. You are only allowed to use thsoe they provide. There are three differet styles to pick from when you get to your facility. The "bippies" are provided, however many folks get molded earpieces. I do not recommend these b/c they block your ability to hear the controller next to you and what he'd doing (situational awareness), but some folks prefer them. The molded ear pieces have to be personally boght. I do not know where to get them, but at least 1 controller every facility I have worked at over the years has had one. The majority do not. Do not go out and spend money on a head set!!!!

The FAA provides the headsets for you. You are only allowed to use thsoe they provide. There are three differet styles to pick from when you get to your facility. The "bippies" are provided, however many folks get molded earpieces. I do not recommend these b/c they block your ability to hear the controller next to you and what he'd doing (situational awareness), but some folks prefer them. The molded ear pieces have to be personally boght. I do not know where to get them, but at least 1 controller every facility I have worked at over the years has had one. The majority do not. Do not go out and spend money on a head set!!!!
what about the bases? do you get your own?

Standard issue FAA ATO headsets that you may choose from.

handsfreecellphoneholder_1.jpg
tin_can_phone.jpg

hearing_aids_bigger24424_1.jpg

The headsets have 4 basic parts: the base (the part that plugs into the FAA's jacks, the top (the part that has the ear part on it). These two plug into one another mid-way between your waist and head. Then on the top piece, there's a small boom mic that's changable (FAA provides these too), and an ear piece (FAA provides these too, unless you desire a molded one). Its really not that big a deal guys. Just do not go out and buy one. The FAA will not let you use it and you're wasting your money.

We had an individuals personal headset short out the ICSS at another facility I worked at. After that they told us no more, and that we had to use their issued headsets.

Back