Concern about Color Vision Letter of Evidence

Revolutionist

Hello:

In 2003, I went to my local FSDO and was given a "Letter of Evidence" -- after I passed their light signal test. My original intention was to start flight training while in college. However, I never got the chance to start. And at age 22 -- and just having graduated from college -- I am ready to start.

As I understand it, the FAA has now changed the test that is given when requesting a Letter of Evidence.

I am concerned that my Letter of Evidence is no longer valid. After reading earlier posts, you state that you do not forsee previously issued Letter of Evidence for color vision being recalled.

I plan to get my new First Class Medical/Student Pilot Certificate in January.

Do you think that by applying for a First Class Medical/Student Pilot Certificate (with my previously issued Letter of Evidence) -- I will be flagged for review by the FAA? Thus, will I be required to retake the new test?

Thanks!

In 2003, I went to my local FSDO and was given a "Letter of Evidence" -- after I passed their light signal test. My original intention was to start flight training while in college.
I plan to get my new First Class Medical/Student Pilot Certificate in January.

Do you think that by applying for a First Class Medical/Student Pilot Certificate (with my previously issued Letter of Evidence) -- I will be flagged for review by the FAA? Thus, will I be required to retake the new test?

I'm not the doctor, but if your letter of evidence was for a class other than 1st, there is no automatic upgrade: i.e. if your LOE was for 3rd class, you can't complete a 1st class medical and automatically get it without restrictions.

Not sure if this issue may apply to you.

Back