Compass Correction/ Deviation Card an airworthiness requirement?

Hiboglossi

The Most Depressing Person
My understanding is that a Compass Correction Card is legally required for an aircraft to be airworthy, per 14 CFR 23.1547:

"§23.1547 Magnetic direction indicator.
(a) A placard meeting the requirements of this section must be installed on or near the magnetic direction indicator.

(b) The placard must show the calibration of the instrument in level flight with the engines operating.

(c) The placard must state whether the calibration was made with radio receivers on or off.

(d) Each calibration reading must be in terms of magnetic headings in not more than 30 degree increments.

(e) If a magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator can have a deviation of more than 10 degrees caused by the operation of electrical equipment, the placard must state which electrical loads, or combination of loads, would cause a deviation of more than 10 degrees when turned on.

[Doc. No. 4080, 29 FR 17955, Dec. 18, 1964; 30 FR 258, Jan. 9, 1965, as amended by Amdt. 23-20, 42 FR 36969, July 18, 1977]"

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...50f2b8d&mc=true&node=se14.1.23_11547&rgn=div8

The airplane in question has half of the Compass Correction Placard missing, and the half that is there is blank. I am not too concerned about the safety of flight without the card (especially not for day VFR), but my understanding is that it would be illegal. Am I correct in interpreting 14 CFR 23.1547 to mean that a Compass Correction Placard is required for airworthiness?

Back