Commuting DEN-JFK?

United737522

Going to be based out of JFK here. Living in Denver currently. Questions:

1. There are limited non-stop DEN-JFK flights, but plenty DEN-LGA. Is it hard to make it LGA-JFK?

2. Am I crazy? Is this a commute I am going to be able to accomplish without burning myself out?

3. Any suggestions for making commuting life easier?

Thanks in advance!

Lots of folks that commute to JFK actually fly to LGA. Then they either cab over, take the "Qew Runner" or something else.

There is also the Midtown Express (I'm probably stating the name incorrect) but you can go from JFK to LGA for $13. Tons of people I know do it. The Q runner is also an option.

Look into getting on FDX through either IND or MEM. While it is much like jumpseating on pax carriers you can list on a seat and not have to worry much about getting bumped or misconnecting. Good luck to you!

I commute from SAN to LGA. I usually go SAN to JFK direct, then take 1 hour of surface transportation on the Air Train to Jamaica Station, catch the E Train subway to Roosevelt Ave, then the Q33 bus to my crashpad (which continues on to LGA). This costs $7.

You can call Kew Gardens Taxi which costs $18 (crew discount) from JFK-LGA or LGA-JFK, but it just increased to $20 due to fuel prices. 15-30 minutes of travel time.

There's a bus (Midtown Express) which costs $13, but if you buy it in packets of 20 tickets, it costs $6 each. The bus runs every 30 minutes and gets you there just about as quickly as a taxi. 20-40 minutes of travel time.

In the end, my total commute time is about 9 hours. I even take the bus from my house in San Diego to the airport, which requires another bus transfer from Downtown San Diego! I do the transcon commute on 2-days off between trips. I just don't want to move to New York - I'd much rather waste my valuable time off commuting than spending $1000/month for a shared bedroom in Manhattan and in the world's nastiest dirtiest ugliest city ever (NYC).

You know that NY smell, Jace? Well, that IS urine! ;)

My friend commutes from DEN to JFK and he doesn't seem to have to many problems. For sure, use LGA as an option or you are limiting yourself. A cab will cost about $35. The Kew Cab is now $20 (24 hours). The Q-Runner is $11 (4am to 11pm) And the bus is $13 (7am to 8pm) Public tranportion takes at least at hour but is only $7. $4.50 if you buy a ten ride ticket on the Airtrain.

In the end, my total commute time is about 9 hours. I even take the bus from my house in San Diego to the airport, which requires another bus transfer from Downtown San Diego! I do the transcon commute on 2-days off between trips. I just don't want to move to New York - I'd much rather waste my valuable time off commuting than spending $1000/month for a shared bedroom in Manhattan and in the world's nastiest dirtiest ugliest city ever (NYC).

Well...I wouldn't call it the world's nastiest, dirtiest, ugliest city ever. Actually we have plenty of pretty sites and unique architecture. And really it's no dirtier than any other real city, and I mean city as a place where people actually live and work...not just conglomeration of office buildings where people in the sprawl drive to in the morning and leave at 5pm.

It's not for everyone, you gotta have thick skin, have some smarts and not be put-off by other cultures and people all around. Just cause you don't quite fit in doesn't mean it is how you described. Capice?

Back